interval quality question

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

you two should get on zoom, record the "debate" upload and reap the rewards. everyone loves this kind of thing!!!

especially if you ocassionally drop a cat filter on it :)

The leading tone IS THE LEADING TONE. It didn't appear to be the third of anything, it appeared TO BE THE LEADING TONE. It is a (fundamental) degree in the minor mode. Without the leading tone, you don't have tonality
No a natural minor does not have a lead tone but a subtonic, only a harmonic minor does. And when using the V-i, the lead tone become the third of the dominant chord, like H in G major (=V in C minor). But this is not the discussion. Just one of your stupid red herrings.

You are quite an act. So obscuring/derailing the lead tone element is going to save your augmented major second as a dissonance? Good old fmr. You are such a pretender. Have always been. I would not let you teach my children anything about music. I guarentee.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

fmr wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:52 pm BTW - There is no such things as "augmented major second". You either have diminished, minor, major and augmented intervals. An interval can't be simultaneously major AND augmented.
More rubbish

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_second
In classical music from Western culture, an augmented second is an interval that, in equal temperament, is sonically equivalent to a minor third, spanning three semitones, and is created by widening a major second
You are a fraud, period.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:47 pm
fmr wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:23 pm
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:19 pm
B is what? Augmented seventh? :lol:
Yes. Since a natural minor contains a minor seventh by default, any raise of seventh degree to get a harmonc minor is an augmented minor 7.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_seventh
Man, you have to revise your knowledge about intervals.

Man, you need classes and a brain transplant.
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:19 pm And you do not build a chord on an augmented 7th in c minor harmonic.
:dog: No comments. Again, go check your interval theory, and harmony theory.
I did, and I am right. Harmonic minor was made to allow for a V-i in minor. This is school book knowledge. The leading tone is hardly the root of a chord.
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:19 pm Here the lead tone is supposed to be the third of the dominent as in V-i.
The leading tone is supposed to to be the leading tone. PERIOD.
Yes, as a third in the dominant in a V-i cadance mainly but not solely. Check your soruces on harmonic minor…if you have any.
If you build a chord over the dominant, it will be the third of the chord. If you build a chord OVER IT, it will be the root of the chord.
You know what a dominant chord is. This is just more obscurance. This is fmr when he is losing the game, he goes obscure, strawman, red herring in an overdriven patronizing tone, which is supposed to convince us that we are idiots and he is right. He panics. I got it, Jan got it, and that is usually goood enough for us.

None of this rubbush is going to turn an augmented major second into a dissonant interval, give it up and let go.
ibl :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:16 pm
fmr wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:52 pm BTW - There is no such things as "augmented major second". You either have diminished, minor, major and augmented intervals. An interval can't be simultaneously major AND augmented.
More rubbish

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_second
In classical music from Western culture, an augmented second is an interval that, in equal temperament, is sonically equivalent to a minor third, spanning three semitones, and is created by widening a major second
You are a fraud, period.
You need to learn to read, period. The quote, if something, just confirms what I wrote. :lol:

BTW - I will refrain from further posts, since this derailed too much already.
Fernando (FMR)

Conventionally, the thing is augmented through major, = one more (or through perfect, same move).
So: C to Bbb, diminished seventh. C to Bb, minor seventh. C to B, major seventh. C to B#? GUESS WHAT? Augmented seventh.
Here is a small squabble as to semantics, as though Tribe means it can be two types of intervals at once. Are we deliberately creating a problem he certainly can't have meant? or are you dense. Obvious straw man is obvious.

I'm put in mind of modes are not scales or however that went. This crap only annoys people, man.

I'm never going to really buy that an interval linearly shall be considered dissonant or consonant.
Then, vertically/sonorously if the aug 2nd at Ab - B per eg., C minor is dissonant where are we? G# to B pertaining to A minor is different in quality, HOW. What's the definition?
The OP has a dogmatic and dull professor is all.

Return to “Music Theory”