Key signature and accidentals

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"The syntax allows flats and sharps, but that doesn't mean that you can use them interchangeably."
well, that's a selective syntax. I mentioned 12-tone rows, and there may be no real reason for a difference between enharmonic tones. It might be that the composer does think of Db and F as a major third regardless, or it may be purely 0 and 4 and the choice for conventional notation is to readibility.

the meaning of E# as the seventh diatonic tone of the key of F# is another story.
But this is why it's pure semantics to me.

jancivil wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:36 pm "The syntax allows flats and sharps, but that doesn't mean that you can use them interchangeably."
well, that's a selective syntax. I mentioned 12-tone rows, and there may be no real reason for a difference between enharmonic tones. It might be that the composer does think of Db and F as a major third regardless, or it may be purely 0 and 4 and the choice for conventional notation is to readibility.

the meaning of E# as the seventh diatonic tone of the key of F# is another story.
But this is why it's pure semantics to me.
It was only for checking purposes, but if there's nothing to check perhaps it's even better. I don't know if my format can handle the 12-tone rows, though. Cases like E#(F) F# should not be hard to check, just make sure all the "base" note names (a b c d e f g) are used.

Return to “Music Theory”