Free VSTi: Suburban Guitarist VSTi (Beta v1.1)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
"The" Jazz
4448 posts since 18 Aug, 2004 from California, United States

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:39 pm

Audio Demo (brand new): http://www.gregjazz.com/download/suburbanballad.mp3

This is my latest project, I have actually spent a long time developing--a physically modelled electric guitar--and it's not that same old Karplus-Strong model!

Features:

- no samples at all!
- lead & rhythm guitar modes
- bend, slide, and whammy bar pitch wheel modes
- palm muting
- harmonics (squeals)
- humanization control, which simulates the sync differences between the guitarists' fretting and picking hands
- adjustable pick position
- tone control
- volume control
- realistic vibrato
- advanced controller mapping

Known issues:

- Need to add more controller inputs, for example: note speed (how fast the notes are being played), velocity, and maybe a few others

Download Suburban Guitarist (beta 1.1) here:

http://www.gregjazz.com/download/Suburb ... tBeta2.rar
Last edited by Gregjazz on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Banned
33 posts since 28 Jun, 2006

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:06 am

Umm... Greggy, don't you think it'd be a good idea to tell the punters you used AT (guess) for the audio demo? hehe

KVRAF
16120 posts since 2 Dec, 2003 from Nashville, TN

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:24 am

Wow Greg. That's sounding pretty cool! I'm sure you'll get the issues sorted out. As I just got my first electric guitar, I have been especially interested in guitar related stuff.

I'll try it out and let you know how it is. I'm no guitar expert yet, but I have been a keys player for the longest time, so it should be easy to get something good!

Brent
My host is better than your host

"The" Jazz

Topic Starter

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:27 am

theFridge wrote:Umm... Greggy, don't you think it'd be a good idea to tell the punters you used AT (guess) for the audio demo? hehe
Good guess, yeah it's Amplitube. Actually all through testing it I used the brilliant new FreeAmp2 beta, which sounds great with this VSTi also.

Actually I tried laying off the distortion for the powerchord guitar part to let you hear what it sounds like with a little more of that 'crunchy' tone.

KVRian
830 posts since 9 Aug, 2004 from Berlin

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:35 am

Nice, but aren't the higher notes a bit too muffled?
also, for GUI, the square swithches look nice, but when I see them, I tend to think that the dark ones are on while the white is off. I love your metallic knobs ;-)
Last edited by Mokafix on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:39 am

Is it just me, or do the notes fade away too fast? I put FreeAmp2 after it, and could only get a couple seconds from each note. It wasn't the gate, as I turned that off.

Also, with the ground hum turned up, when using the amp sim, I got a nasty crackling sound the whole time. Is that normal?

I'm on Tracktion2, MBox1, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ with a 1GB of RAM, just in case it matters.

I think with some work this could be good. I'll let you know if there is anything significant I see. Bedtime for now. Thanks again!

Brent

KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:40 am

Mokafix wrote:Nice, but aren't the higher notes a bit too muffled?
also, for GUI, the square swithches looks nice, but when I see them, I tend to think that the dark ones are on while the white is off. I love your metallic buttons ;-)
I agree on the switches. A bit confusing on what is turned on.

And the notes cutting off did get worse on the higher notes, since it was mentioned.

Brent

KVRian
1349 posts since 28 Apr, 2003 from The brief past.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:43 am

- bend, slide, and whammy bar pitch wheel modes
Now a small question, could it emulate the 'Glide' guitar technique used by My Bloody Valentine? It's where they would play holding the floating temolo bar of their Fender Jaguars & Jazzmasters. To quote the New Yorks Times:
This involves modulating the tone directly by using a tremolo arm on the guitar rather than by processing the sound through special effects devices. The technique produces an amorphous drone, at once visceral and disembodied, that seems to swarm out of the speakers and envelop the listeners.
"God...He's my favourite fictional character." Homer.

"The" Jazz

Topic Starter

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:53 am

Is that 'Glide' guitar technique just a whammy bar trick?

Yeah, I was just about to add 'longer sustain needed' to the list of improvements needed.

Koolkeys, is it a buzzy noise, or is it crackling like the scratchy volume knob?

You guys really see the dark buttons as being the ones that are on? Not for me, but I will change that anyway. Credits for the graphics of those other awesome knobs shouldn't go to me, I hunted down the best switch and knob graphics from various Synthedit websites. I would make my own, but 3Dsmax isn't installed at the moment, and it takes an aweful lot of harddrive space.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

KVRAF
3114 posts since 28 Jan, 2006 from Phoenix, AZ

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:54 am

what's with the constant hi pitched noise? It's very hard to hear, you gotta have sensitive ears, but it's definitely not a good thing. you hear it a few seconds after you turn on the plugin.

Edit: You don't need to hear it, just attach some oscilloscope or sonogram or something.

"The" Jazz

Topic Starter

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:01 am

Architeuthis wrote:what's with the constant hi pitched noise? It's very hard to hear, you gotta have sensitive ears, but it's definitely not a good thing. you hear it a few seconds after you turn on the plugin.

Edit: You don't need to hear it, just attach some oscilloscope or sonogram or something.
You guys are lucky, I was tempted NOT to put in a knob to control the ground noise volume.

But I'm not that evil, am I... Okay, you already forgave me for Galls'Tone, right? :hihi:

KVRAF
3114 posts since 28 Jan, 2006 from Phoenix, AZ

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:07 am

err, well Gregjazz, this sounds like a good step forward from my big "create a synth guitar" thread. Maybe I didn't test it enough, but I prefer the sound I learned how to create. The mp3 you posted, the sound is just kinda cheesy. That could be the fault of the distortion though. Palm mutes sound good though. If only I could get that with my own technique. The two guitars I'm hearing is infact only your plugin though, right?

"The" Jazz

Topic Starter

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:18 am

Architeuthis wrote: The two guitars I'm hearing is infact only your plugin though, right?
Yup.

KVRian
1349 posts since 28 Apr, 2003 from The brief past.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:35 am

Gregjazz wrote:Is that 'Glide' guitar technique just a whammy bar trick?
Well, yeah. Pretty much so. The bar is simply held as the guitar is strummed, causing it the strings to contanstly go in and out of tune. As this isn't the usual use for the whammy bar I haven't seen it emulated before.
"God...He's my favourite fictional character." Homer.

KVRian
830 posts since 9 Aug, 2004 from Berlin

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:03 am

Gregjazz wrote:
You guys really see the dark buttons as being the ones that are on? Not for me, but I will change that anyway.
I just asked my sister and brother, "wich is on and wich is off?", and they said the same, so i think that definitely "yes".

I think the shape is good ( the "on" is further = smaller), but the fact you see a circle inside the black one makes you think it's "checked" = "on". (i know there's a circle in the white one too, but you barely see it).

Return to “Instruments”