Synth1 bank (by Lunatique)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a Synth1 bank I've been working on:
Synth1 bank (by Lunatique)
(Includes a text file that explains some specific presets and how to get the best "sweet spot" with them.)

MP3 of the presets demo is here:
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality ... design.htm
(Sorry about not posting a direct link to the mp3. I tried but the forum keeps breaking my mp3 link and I couldn't get it to work.)

I would really appreciate some feedback if you download the bank and tried out the presets. If you guys like what I've done so far, I'll do more. If you guys think my sound design sucks, tell me too (but please be constructive and tell me exactly what you didn't like). Sometimes we learn more from failures than successes.

I have tried my best to match the volume of all the presets, so they are all relatively at similar volumes, and no matter how hard you play any of them the volume shouldn't clip (even with giant 10-finger chords at hardest velocity). I also labeled them all with proper prefixes like [ARP], [BASS], [PAD], [FX], [LEAD]...etc and color-coded as well.
Last edited by Lunatique on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Can you upload them to the Banks and Patches section here please?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Done.

Lunatique wrote:Here's a Synth1 bank I've been working on:
Synth1 bank (by Lunatique) (Includes a text file that explains some specific presets and how to get the best "sweet spot" with them.)

I would really appreciate some feedback if you download the bank and tried out the presets. If you guys like what I've done so far, I'll do more. If you guys think my sound design sucks, tell me too (but please be constructive and tell me exactly what you didn't like). Sometimes we learn more from failures than successes.

I have tried my best to match the volume of all the presets, so they are all relatively at similar volumes, and no matter how hard you play any of them the volume shouldn't clip (even with giant 10-finger chords at hardest velocity). I also labeled them all with proper prefixes like [ARP], [BASS], [PAD], [FX], [LEAD]...etc and color-coded as well.
sweet! will check them out soon.. thanks :wink:

~Bren
[Insert Signature Here]

Very nicely done! Good wide variety of sounds and styles. I like Bass Meachanized and Arp Dream Sequence the most. I'd love to hear more, keep it up! :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

thanks Lunatique

Thanks Lunatique!!!!!

I'm back in school (my last year), so I have a lot less time than I did in the summer. However, if I get a free moment, I'll check them out.

I'm sure that they will be wonderful!!!!!!!

Thanks again,

--Sean

Wow, Striker Drone is impressive! :-o

Great job! I really like White Hallway and Space Clav. Space Clav is especially fun when arpped.

Cool! Nice Synth1 Bank! Thanks 8)

Playing Shodans Corridor for the beat, and Echoline for the lead :) 8) :) :hihi:
Theses sounds are great fun! Many Thanx! weebee JAMMMMINNNN!!!!!!

I'm having so much fun that I went ahead and recorded a preset demo MP3 of some of the presets in the bank. It would be really interesting to hear some of you record some stuff with the presets, since I'm sure the way you'd use the presets would be totally different from me, and maybe even use them in really clever ways I never thought of when I designed the sounds.

MP3 of the presets demo is here:
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality ... design.htm
(Sorry about not posting a direct link to the mp3. I tried but the forum keeps breaking my mp3 link and I couldn't get it to work.)

BTW, there's a preset in the bank that was inspired by one of the best and most nderrated PC games of all time. Let's see if anyone can spot what the game is (without cheating). ;) (DAMN, someone already mentioned it... too late. :P )
Last edited by Lunatique on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I was feeling burnt out and suffering from information overload
and the last thing I needed was another bank of synth1 presets
sitting on my h/d. So what did I do? I downloaded them and actually
checked them out ;-) I'm glad I did. These sounds are sooooo 'tweakable' -
well I know synth1 is anyway, but.... some amazing sounds in there.

I don't know if you designed them that way, but good job!
Running the arp from eXT through the arp in synth1 and I swear I came
up with something like one of the lines off Oxygene - crikey!

Excellent! Thanks a lot.

So happy to see that you guys are having fun with them. I just might have to start doing more sound design from now on if people actually enjoy them and want more. :oops:

I think the only preset where I intentionally thought of a source/inspiration was the System Shock 2 one ([ARP]Shodan's Corridors). I was shaping the preset and the moment I got something that reminded me a bit of SS2, I almost jumped out of my seat for joy. Man, it made me want to boot up my Win98 legacy machine (PII 400Mhz, 128MB RAM) and reinstall SS2 and do nothing but play it for a whole week. :D

My only real goal in mind when I design presets is that they must first and foremost be musical and playable, or at the very least are interesting in terms of expressiveness, sense of motion, texture/timbre...etc. I don't really concentrate on any specific genre of music like trance, funk, acid jazz, IDM, electro, ambient, industrial, or whatever--I listen to such a wide range of styles and compose such a wide range too, so any genre to me is just music. I sometimes imagine a certain mood and just go for it (for example, mysterious, dreamy, anger, shock, melancholy...etc). More than anything I'm just enjoying the process. I think of sound design as sculpting with sound--it's a different mentality to composing and arranging, and I really love it so far. After I get more experience under my belt, I'd like to explore even more powerful synths that have more parameters I can utilize. As good as Synth1 is, it still has lots of limits you can't work around (for example, I'd love to be able to bind the modwheel to any parameter(s) I want--kinda like that X/Y pad kind of control.

Return to “Instruments”