The Ableton Live Tips & Tricks Thread

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
djgroovy
KVRian
806 posts since 13 Mar, 2004 from Portugal

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 am

Cool. That's what this thread is for.

I would love if more people would chip in with their tips & tricks.

whystyle
KVRer
2 posts since 15 Nov, 2007

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:25 pm

hey there, thanks so much for this thread, djgroovy. i haven't been using Live long so I don't have much to add at this point, but the tips here are great.

i had a question about the drum rack for de la mancha's erratic plugin. I downloaded it, but when i try to open it (in Live 7.0.9) i get a critical error message and Live shuts down. when i reopen Live i have no audio and it tells me there's another rewire master. i close live, but it is still listed in the task manager processes tab, and i can't end the process on the original instantiation without restarting the machine. i don't expect anyone to be able to help with the latter problem, but i'm wondering if anyone else has had trouble using this drum rack. does it not work with erratic 2? do i have to load erratic first and then open the drum rack on a separate track and drag erratic into it or something?

thanks, and hopefully i'll be able to add to this thread if i ever get myself going.

djgroovy
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:38 am

Hey whystyle, thanks.

I don't really know what happened there, but iirc that rack was made using erratic 1, so maybe that's the problem, altough i find it strange it locked up live like that. My advice, don't use it!
It's not dificult to make, i might even make a little tutorial.

djgroovy
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 am

So, here's how to use multi output plugins in ableton live 7, using only one drum rack:

In this tutorial, i will be using Guru.

First, drop your intrument on a midi track.
Right click its title bar and group to drum rack.

Next, drag and drop an external instrument device from the browser to the drum rack, on the pad after the one where Guru is.

In the external instrument there are 3 dropdown menus. First you set the track where your instrument is, in this case 1-Drum Rack is the name.
On the dropdown below that, you select your instruments midi channel, in this case 1-Guru.
(Note: since Guru has an internal sequencer that i'm using, i will not be using midi notes or clips to trigger it. But i have to set these menus because otherwise i can't set the third dropdown, it's greyed out, see above image.)
Now the third box is what we're after, the "audio from" box is where we hijack the signal from the multi outputs. Set it to Sub1-Guru.

Do the same procedure for each output you want to use.

On your instrument, set the apropriate outputs for the diferent sounds.

Ta-Da! Now press play, and click the little triangle on the drum rack track. the track will unfold with all the outputs having their own subtrack.
Now you can name those, like kicks, snares, hats, etc, use solos and mutes, midi effects and audio effects per subtrack...the sky is the limit.
Then you can fold it right back and have only the master track showing. On this one you can drop any midi or audio effects that you want to act globally. It's also where you would have your midi clips if you're not using a plugin with internal sequencer.

I hope this helps somebody out there, it's a powerfull trick and also a workaround of sorts for the lack of track folders in Live.

opia
KVRAF
2631 posts since 12 Oct, 2005 from the garden state

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:36 pm

Here's a bit of cheapness for Live 7

http://opiadream.com/PSS-140.alp

It's sounds from a yamaha portasound pss-140 in simplers and racks
It loads as a project.Just use the file manager to send em to the Live folder if you want them

whystyle
KVRer
2 posts since 15 Nov, 2007

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:20 pm

djgroovy wrote:So, here's how to use multi output plugins in ableton live 7, using only one drum rack:
thanks so much. i got this up an running and it works beautifully. and i can use it for a couple other multi-out plugins that i thought just wouldn't work with Live. teach a man to fish...

djgroovy
KVRian

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:55 am

Check this post at the ableton foruns for 2 nice tips on creating a sub to fatten your kick, very quickly with the filter delay or the autofilter.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=801716#801716

T1mur
KVRist
128 posts since 16 Dec, 2008

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Here's a similiar guide for Battery: :wink:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... hp?t=57359

You have to scroll down to post no. 9 to get informations on how to set it up.

In the following thread someone combined Drum Racks with Addictive Drums:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... ht=battery

Again you need to scroll down some to get to the Addictive Drums posts.
We're all mad in here...

opia
KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:11 pm

Its all basically the same

drop multi-out into first cell
load the rest with external instruments and adjust midi & audio outs accordingly

I did my time+space romplers + the shortcircuit loaded with ns kit by following vieris's lead with the erratic adg

T1mur
KVRist

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Make sure to use Live .12 or later when using multi-output External Instruments. Anything earlier can lose the bindings forcing you to rebuild everything manually and .10 can crash.
We're all mad in here...

opia
KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up

elxsound
KVRAF
6152 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:27 pm

This is what I did for AD in live... was pretty tedious, since the groupings didn't work. Can someone confirm if they did the same thing or if there is an easier way?

Next up is microTonic! 8)

T1mur
KVRist

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:32 pm

You should add meaningful names to the pads so that you can easily program drums via the Pianoroll. Here's an example:

Also using Groups to organize all Toms, Snares, Cymbals etc. can make mixing and jamming alot easier.
We're all mad in here...

elxsound
KVRAF
6152 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:37 pm

T1mur wrote:You should add meaningful names to the pads so that you can easily program drums via the Pianoroll. Here's an example:

Also using Groups to organize all Toms, Snares, Cymbals etc. can make mixing and jamming alot easier.
hmmm... good point.

I'll go back and add groups. I also want to create some other presets routing different groups to certain FX.

Mr. Tunes
Tunesmith
2891 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Toronto

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:55 pm

this is probably one of the most useless tips, but when trying to tune a sample in the clip view, you can pull down the Cents and as you go lower and lower eventually the semi-tone will flip down too. i mention this cause i used to go by semi-tones and then adjust the cents, but you can do it all from cents.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”