Which plugins don't work with Windows 7?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KungKrille
KVRian
751 posts since 6 May, 2006 from Sweden

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:18 pm

I have i7 and Win 7 64 bit. If I run my host (Ableton Live 8 ) as admin everything runs smoothly except for SE plugins. I get terrible performance. Audio buffer settings doesn't do much difference. If I run only one SE all is well but if I add another vst (SE or not) I get so much crackle. There are some SE I can't live without so my current solution is bouncing and sampling

jtiis
KVRist
87 posts since 12 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:43 am

Anyone manage to get Ivory to work with Win 7? It's 64 OK with Vista but always crashes on a 7 machine... also, any word on Ivory II and win 7? Eager to have Ivory back!
Kawai MP11, Apogee Duet, MPB 2018, Komplete 10, Spectrasonics Trinity, Ivory II, Pianoteq 6, Ravencroft 275, Logic X, Cubase 8, Spitfire Audio (most products), Superior Drummer 3, ST4

Road Kill
KVRer
5 posts since 20 Feb, 2010 from Australia

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:20 am

Hypersonic 1 & 2 do not work on Windows 7 x64. Period.

JackD
KVRist
420 posts since 29 May, 2005 from Central Ohio, USA

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:26 am

Which plugins don't work with Windows 7?

The question is way to general. It should be...
Which plugins don't work with Windows 7 (64 bit)? Does it work with Windows 7 (32 bit)? Is it a problem with installing it on Windows 7?

I've wanted to start a rant thread about how Win7 stinks for use as a DAW. I do understand that if you are using Vista, that you probably should move to Win7, but if you're using WinXP, you're nutts to move to Win7. I keep reading threads on computer advise web sites about problems with Win7 memory allocation, and USB MIDI drivers. Sometime in the next year I'll probably replace my Internet/Media PC with something using Win7, but my DAW runs perfect now on XP, and there isn't one single good reason to go to Win7. USB3 is the only reason I could see in the future, maybe. Gotta fix the USB MIDI driver problems first.

Oh, are any of you brave souls on Win7, using Win7 USB MIDI drivers getting stuck notes?
Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches per sec.

UltraJv
KVRAF
6324 posts since 30 Dec, 2004 from London uk

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:30 am

JackD wrote:Which plugins don't work with Windows 7?

The question is way to general. It should be...
Which plugins don't work with Windows 7 (64 bit)? Does it work with Windows 7 (32 bit)? Is it a problem with installing it on Windows 7?

I've wanted to start a rant thread about how Win7 stinks for use as a DAW. I do understand that if you are using Vista, that you probably should move to Win7, but if you're using WinXP, you're nutts to move to Win7. I keep reading threads on computer advise web sites about problems with Win7 memory allocation, and USB MIDI drivers. Sometime in the next year I'll probably replace my Internet/Media PC with something using Win7, but my DAW runs perfect now on XP, and there isn't one single good reason to go to Win7. USB3 is the only reason I could see in the future, maybe. Gotta fix the USB MIDI driver problems first.

Oh, are any of you brave souls on Win7, using Win7 USB MIDI drivers getting stuck notes?
Dont know where youre getting the info but no issues with Windows 7 and memory allocation. As for midi driver problems, thats down to your drivers not Windows 7. Maybe the people who are having trouble upgraded on top of Vista - not the way to go. No issues with Windows 7 like that here.

JackD
KVRist
420 posts since 29 May, 2005 from Central Ohio, USA

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:44 am

UltraJv wrote: No issues with Windows 7 like that here.
Hi UltraJv. Good the hear your experience. Care to share what music hardware/software you're using? Or anyone... what does work? I'm particulary interested in experience with recording with USB connected MIDI controllers, in Cubase or Sonar.
Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches per sec.

UltraJv
KVRAF
6324 posts since 30 Dec, 2004 from London uk

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 am

JackD wrote:
UltraJv wrote: No issues with Windows 7 like that here.
Hi UltraJv. Good the hear your experience. Care to share what music hardware/software you're using? Or anyone... what does work? I'm particulary interested in experience with recording with USB connected MIDI controllers, in Cubase or Sonar.
I use RME HDSP 9632 sound card and EMU Xboard 49. Both work fine in WIndows 7 32 and 64 bit. A search of KVR might get you more info on your hardware.

highkoo
KVRAF
4320 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 am

i am just about to do a full DAW install on an i7 using Win7 64.
i use a LOT of plugins, both commercial and SE bedroom-made stuff that we all love. i am fully expecting many issues..
i will report back any particular full stops.

is the SE thing an official bug? does anyone know the cause? im aware of the multicore bug and that workaround is no problem.
but, i use a fair amount of SE effects. if i have to bounce all of that.. im in trouble.
:shock:
ImageImageImageImage

Marcus797
KVRist
156 posts since 27 Jul, 2008

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:12 am

Sonnox EQ doesn't work on Windows 7 64 bit(or any other 64 bit OS for that matter).

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=124892

User avatar
carrieres
KVRAF
1975 posts since 10 Apr, 2002 from Saint Germain en Laye, France

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:29 pm

vectrik does not work under win7 64bit
Image

flugel45
KVRAF
2243 posts since 9 Jun, 2002 from East of Santa Monica

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm surprised there is no mention of JBridge (32bit->64 bit adapter) in this thread.

There are plenty of users who have gotten most if not all of their 32 bit plugs to work in a 64 bit host by using this $20 adapter.

Simply saying "Plugxxxx doesn't work in Win7-64" isn't the end of the story if you haven't tried it with JBridge. If you have, then it's also helpful to say so. :)

JD

Marcus797
KVRist
156 posts since 27 Jul, 2008

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:10 pm

OK, Sonnox EQ doesn't work on Windows 7 64 bit(or any other 64 bit OS) even with JBridge. It actually crashes JBridge.

flugel45
KVRAF
2243 posts since 9 Jun, 2002 from East of Santa Monica

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Marcus797 wrote:OK, Sonnox EQ doesn't work on Windows 7 64 bit(or any other 64 bit OS) even with JBridge. It actually crashes JBridge.
There are a few plugs that no one has had any luck with (in 64 bit).

Sonnox EQ seems to one of them (based on the number of threads about it on the web).

paradiddle
KVRAF
1568 posts since 15 Aug, 2001 from montreal, canada

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:25 pm

I have this free plugin that didn't work in win7 64bit called SideChComp and the only way to make it work was to run the host with winxp sp3 compatibility. Uses more cpu. So I tried jbridge demo and the wrapper worked. I'm not using a 64 bit host by the way.
flugel45 wrote:I'm surprised there is no mention of JBridge (32bit->64 bit adapter) in this thread.

There are plenty of users who have gotten most if not all of their 32 bit plugs to work in a 64 bit host by using this $20 adapter.

Simply saying "Plugxxxx doesn't work in Win7-64" isn't the end of the story if you haven't tried it with JBridge. If you have, then it's also helpful to say so. :)

JD

Marcus797
KVRist
156 posts since 27 Jul, 2008

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:02 pm

flugel45 wrote:
Marcus797 wrote:OK, Sonnox EQ doesn't work on Windows 7 64 bit(or any other 64 bit OS) even with JBridge. It actually crashes JBridge.
There are a few plugs that no one has had any luck with (in 64 bit).

Sonnox EQ seems to one of them (based on the number of threads about it on the web).
Yeah its really frustrating.

There are lots of plugs that won't work with a 64 bit host DAW. Most of the time that can be fixed with JBridge. But even the plugs that won't work in a 64 bit host DAW will work in a 32 bit DAW on a 64 bit OS.

Unfortunately the Sonnox EQ is one of those very rare plugs that won't work on a 64 OS even in a 32 bit host DAW.

Return to “Instruments”