One-Synth-Challenge 62: PolyIblit - Submissions, Chat & Voting

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
ThePresent
KVRist
432 posts since 17 Dec, 2013 from The Netherlands

Post Fri May 16, 2014 5:48 am

:tu: Nice!
Congrats to Z.Prime (again! :)), Pulse Width Modulation, Photonic, Kraftraum, H-Man/Animehaus, Yeager
Great tracks and sounds.
Last edited by ThePresent on Fri May 16, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjporter
KVRAF
2610 posts since 19 Dec, 2010 from North America

Re: One-Synth-Challenge 62: PolyIblit - Submissions, Chat & Voting

Post Fri May 16, 2014 6:25 am

Hey guys, I'm recounting the scores. 2 People originally checked and double checked, but it seems we didn't get the 122pts 3x tie figured out correctly.

Can everyone check the scores right now and see if they make sense? I'll update the results post

bjporter
KVRAF
2610 posts since 19 Dec, 2010 from North America

Post Fri May 16, 2014 7:04 am

Final Results! Z.Prime is the Winner = :o !
:band: :band: :band: :band2: :band2: :band2: :band2: :band2:

What a fantastic month. We had 2 sets of perfect ties & a sitar :hihi: A first perhaps in OSC history ... not just 1 true tie, but 2!! :
  • Tie #1 - Photonic and duo Animehaus+H-man each with 122pts perfectly down to 5,4,3,2,1. Kraftraum had 122pts running up but just slightly less points sum with 1 less 4.
  • Tie #2 - Also Orboscope and Full Bucket had a - 5,4,3,2,1 tie as well!
  • Yeager was close to no sitar... he's now at 5th so he gets his sitar :tu: :) Great work!
1st Place Gold Knob goes to:
z.prime - We can overcome - 134pts

2nd Place Silver Knob goes to:
Pulse Width Modulation - The Spanish Captain - 129pts

3rd Place TIE Bronze Knob goes to:
H-man and Animehaus - Os Terr queos (TheEarthlings) - 122pts

3rd Place TIE Bronze Knob goes to:
Photonic - Calm Down - 122pts

4th Place goes to:
Kraftraum -
Rotation 20 (Rosetta, ready to go) - 122pts

5th Place goes to:
Yeager - Close...But No Sitar 118

6th Tie Full Bucket - PolyBlitz 116
6th Tie Orboscope - Skypiercer 116
7th Pedalsteeldrummer - Superbad 116
8th Skyzone - Electro Flames 114
9th Loft Electronics - Hot In The Loft 110
10th Spidergod - Dark Space 102
11th Loris DS - Usurper 101
12th Ballacr75 - The Game Is Going To Start 99
13th CytoSonic - Fly, Fly 95
14th Shortmanb - Still Going 95
15th terebellum - Rose Mosaic Virus 92
16th BlitBit - Dr. Poly & Mr. Iblit 90
17th Ricler - Echoes Of A Supernova 88
18th DoctorBob - MoreCheezePleeze 84
19th JKF Flashico - Relife 83
20th Flipm1967 - Underwater Dance 82
21st BK1 - It's Raining Again 70
22nd New Kids On The Block - Sarmile 51

Incomplete or no votes**
dq DzAH - New Old 92
dq Quaoar - Secret Weapon 72
BK1 was re-instated as he used TinCanTelephone nick which wasn't a kvrnick. Granted clemency.

Can I haz prizes? GIMME NOW!
FIRST PLACE WINNER - please announce your chosen prize on the forum here in a post. Who ever is next, do the same, and on and on until all top fivers get their loot. You can't have it right now - it'll take some days - so be patient :hug:

Nice chunes everyone!! :) :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Scoresheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... _web#gid=1

** This is per the last rules vote, the majority voted for no vote = disqualified. See the official Rule here.
Last edited by bjporter on Sat May 17, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

animehaus
KVRist
290 posts since 31 Jul, 2013 from Brazil

Post Fri May 16, 2014 7:41 am

Can someone stop z.prime, please? :P

But, seriously, congratulations not only to z.prime, PWM, Photonic, Kraftraum and Yeager for the Top 5, but to all contestants. I'm really impressed with the overall level this month: lots of really great tracks. The 2 true ties (wow, that's hard to say out loud!) and the small difference between contestants overall can attest it.
H-man wrote: Animehaus is gonna be stoked! :D
You can bet on it, mate! :D BTW, thanks once again for the superb experience of doing a collab. Of course it's almost unbelievable to get a "Bronze Knob", but the biggest prize has definitely been the whole creative process and the relationship we developed thru it. :hug:

photonic
KVRian
534 posts since 5 Mar, 2011 from Austria

Post Fri May 16, 2014 8:41 am

Z.Prime, you are maybe often last in the alphabet, but you are most in front position here in OSC. And for good reason, I think :tu:

Concrats to Z.Prime, PWM, my point buddies Animehaus+H-man and Kraftraum and to Yeager too! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am very happy to be among such a great crowd of gifted guys again. Realy a grazy thing with thoses ties. I am sure that it is statistically improbable to have two of them in just one compitition.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

z.prime
KVRAF
1726 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Post Fri May 16, 2014 8:44 am

Wow! Thanks everyone!

This was a fun month. I got to use Live for a full track for the first time, which was exciting (minus the annoyance with repeat == horrible CPU spiking & playback problems; I think this was a Winblows issue... we'll see). Along with learning Live and finding out some features I really liked as compared to Reaper (and some deficiencies), I got to make some nice sounds with PolyIblit. It was very surprising some of the stuff that seemingly simple synth offered. I dismissed it at first, as the presets really suck... but got to stacking a few instances here & there... and wow, nice stuff came out (btw: Live instrument rack is 90% awesome)! :)

I must say was impressed by many tracks this month, but particularly impressed with PWM's. It easily could/should have taken the cake. This was a very unique and appealing track not just because it has an awesome nylon guitar patch, but good composition and attention to the detail in the playing, really made it stand out as a superb example of using a single synth to make something amazing! I thought you might have used something like a You Rock or midi guitar pickup to get that sort of realism. Never imagined you'd have tracked it! Simply great. Congrats for 2nd place, at least.

And, many other very nice tracks from you all - collabs and such; so many other very good tracks in their own right. I'm so glad to be a part of the community, even if our fearless admin has changed hands recently. I'm sure we'll continue to push the boundaries of musical composition and sound design. And there will be some good things coming up...

I guess for my prize, I'll take our friend Aiyn Zahev's soundsets: Safara v2 & Sphere.

:phones: :clap:

Pulse Width Modulation
KVRist
126 posts since 4 Feb, 2012 from Billings, MT - USA

Post Fri May 16, 2014 8:51 am

Congratulations Z.Prime---#1! :hail: For a smooth and fat track that makes you want to get up and dance!

Thank you everyone for for the votes on my track! :shock: :hyper:
I had a great deal of fun with it, and I learned a lot about arrangement in it.

I had such a fun time listening to all the tracks this month!

As a special note to Animehouse & H-Man: That was a stellar track, and the fact that it was a collaboration adds so much more respect for it!

Pulse Width Modulation
KVRist
126 posts since 4 Feb, 2012 from Billings, MT - USA

Post Fri May 16, 2014 9:05 am

OK, so I guess it's my turn.

I'm going to go for Synthmaster Factory.

Thanks again, everyone! This is just too cool!

BTW, Z. Prime: I actually do have sort of an 80% guitar synth capability, via MIDImorphosis, a $5 polyphonic guitar synth app for iphone, but it's far from perfect (Hence the 80% number!) Works beautifully for live ambient music, but there would have been no way to decently track the OSC project! Plus, for classical guitar, I'm not as near as good as my track might suggest! After tracking the Spanish Captain, I tried it on a real guitar, and could barely play the opening melody!
Last edited by Pulse Width Modulation on Fri May 16, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

z.prime
KVRAF
1726 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Post Fri May 16, 2014 9:07 am

z.prime wrote:for my prize, I'll take our friend Aiyn Zahev's soundsets: Safara v2 & Sphere
Holy moly! This prize was in my inbox before I even clicked send on that post! Thanks so much Aiyn - you rock! That must be record time to get a prize! Before the second one even announced! :o

JKF Flashico
KVRist
111 posts since 28 Oct, 2012

Post Fri May 16, 2014 9:44 am

Congratz Top Five :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And thanks for everyone for comments :) And also congratz for everyone other competitor tracks, they was really good ones :tu: :clap:

doctorbob
KVRian
1284 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:06 am

Congratulations to all the winners - super tracks from you all. All richly deserved. Just so nice to be in such awesome company. Thanks to all who gave my cheese a listen and comment, and even more so to those who gave me some votes - it's all a learning process for me, my 2nd OSC only.

Looking forward now to hearing what you folk do with VOPM - some great sounds already surfacing.

Cheers, and well done all again.

Rob (aka db)

photonic
KVRian
534 posts since 5 Mar, 2011 from Austria

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:08 am

Animehaus+H-man,

you first!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

ThePresent
KVRist
432 posts since 17 Dec, 2013 from The Netherlands

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:09 am

Pulse Width Modulation wrote:OK, so I guess it's my turn.

I'm going to go for Synthmaster Factory.

Thanks again, everyone! This is just too cool!
Well, that's going to keep you out of OSC for some time, :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Synthmaster is just ridiculously versatile :)
Wishing you great fun with it!
(Watch out for your ears if you start to distort the filter from the inside :o )

BlitBit
KVRist
230 posts since 28 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Post Fri May 16, 2014 11:00 am

Congratulations to the winners! :clap:

And thanks to everyone who participated in this challenge for yet another interesting and challenging competition. Also thanks to everyone who commented on my song! Feel free to give me yet more and especially more frank criticism on the song. I definitively want to learn and improve.

This was my second OSC and compared to my first OSC (Tunefish) I was hoping for a slightly better placement. This time I had some more time to polish my song but against this fierce competition it just wasn't enough. :) Maybe next time. :hihi:

However, I will pass on the currently running challenge as I am trying to get away from too chiptuney sounding songs and I think this would be a too hard challenge for me using VOPM. Although I'm pretty sure that some of the contestants will again surprise us with sounds not believed to be possible with that little thing.

Already curious what synth will be chosen for OSC 64. I guess a SID emulation would be fitting. :hihi: Extra challenge: only three simultaneous voices allowed.

Yeager
KVRian
1115 posts since 28 Jun, 2005

Post Fri May 16, 2014 12:22 pm

Congrats Z.prime :party: well done, again and again... :P

and of course Pulse Width Modulation, H-man and Animehaus, Photonic and Kraftraum and all the others. :clap:

Oh, and I forgot to thank satYatune for his nice review, so here you go...thanks. :hug:

Let's see what you all come up with using that strange thing called VOPM.

Return to “Instruments”