FYI: software conflict/avast free & Yamaha UR22 driver

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
User avatar
KVRian
1022 posts since 12 Sep, 2005

Post Tue May 24, 2016 5:30 pm

I recently installed Avast free (windows 10). I then noticed audio dropouts when using my UR22 for guitar input. I just uninstalled Avast and all is back to normal. It uninstalls fine, all but a left over folder in program data. It's system resource use is medium, and there are better alternatives anyway: Spybot and Malwarebytes run smoothly, if you are looking.

KVRAF
1928 posts since 4 Nov, 2004 from Manchester

Post Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 am

Microsoft Security Essentials does the job, is free and doesn't bother you. Isn't quite as zero day as the Avast as it doesn't do heuristic scanning, but that's the reason is doesn't eat your resources. The threat list is updated a few times a week, so as long as your not sat on dodgy sites all pulling down brand new malware, it should see you fine.

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1022 posts since 12 Sep, 2005

Post Wed May 25, 2016 4:33 am

^ They changed windows 10 to not include security essentials, but windows defender (which is it's successor) if anyone is looking. It's fine, but I've found it a bit dodgy, as it likes to shut down if it detects any other active virus software...so there is no layering with it.

User avatar
KVRAF
5748 posts since 8 May, 2008 from ssssskipping ......... I left you there

Post Wed May 25, 2016 8:11 am

Don't forget about Avira Free if you look for a free antivirus.

The lightest, but not free, is Webroot. It uses, wait for it, less than 10 MB of RAM on my system when it's not scanning. Some people don't believe in its approach to security but I'm a regular beta tester for them and I can recommend it.

I also use HitMan Pro as a second opinion scanner (free until you use it to disinfect your computer) and MBAE to prevent drive-by downloads (there is a free version that protects browsers).

http://www.avira.com/
http://www.webroot.com/
http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro
https://es.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

KVRAF
28478 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed May 25, 2016 8:15 am

spacekid wrote:I recently installed Avast free (windows 10). I then noticed audio dropouts when using my UR22 for guitar input. I just uninstalled Avast and all is back to normal. It uninstalls fine, all but a left over folder in program data. It's system resource use is medium, and there are better alternatives anyway: Spybot and Malwarebytes run smoothly, if you are looking.
Thanks, that could well be the cause for my audio drop outs with the Steinberg UR12 too. I solved those by deactivating my wireless adapter, and i don't get audio drop outs when i decativate it, but, who knows. Maybe it's an issue with Avast Free really, because i do have it installed on the computer which had the drop outs. On the other hand, i have it installed on my laptop too, and don't get any drop outs there. Yamaha is also absolutely clueless, and can't reproduce it, as far as i read. Difficult stuff.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1022 posts since 12 Sep, 2005

Post Wed May 25, 2016 8:55 am

chk071 wrote:
spacekid wrote:I recently installed Avast free (windows 10). I then noticed audio dropouts when using my UR22 for guitar input. I just uninstalled Avast and all is back to normal. It uninstalls fine, all but a left over folder in program data. It's system resource use is medium, and there are better alternatives anyway: Spybot and Malwarebytes run smoothly, if you are looking.
Thanks, that could well be the cause for my audio drop outs with the Steinberg UR12 too. I solved those by deactivating my wireless adapter, and i don't get audio drop outs when i decativate it, but, who knows. Maybe it's an issue with Avast Free really, because i do have it installed on the computer which had the drop outs. On the other hand, i have it installed on my laptop too, and don't get any drop outs there. Yamaha is also absolutely clueless, and can't reproduce it, as far as i read. Difficult stuff.
It may be. I believe I first tried the combo of those two on windows 7 and it was fine. But since I've let the upgrade go through, I've switched to layering spybot with Malwarebytes..and just got greedy and tried avast also. I like spybot for the deep scan and Malwarebytes (subscription) for the active.

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1022 posts since 12 Sep, 2005

Post Wed May 25, 2016 10:40 am

spacekid wrote:
chk071 wrote:
spacekid wrote:I recently installed Avast free (windows 10). I then noticed audio dropouts when using my UR22 for guitar input. I just uninstalled Avast and all is back to normal. It uninstalls fine, all but a left over folder in program data. It's system resource use is medium, and there are better alternatives anyway: Spybot and Malwarebytes run smoothly, if you are looking.
Thanks, that could well be the cause for my audio drop outs with the Steinberg UR12 too. I solved those by deactivating my wireless adapter, and i don't get audio drop outs when i decativate it, but, who knows. Maybe it's an issue with Avast Free really, because i do have it installed on the computer which had the drop outs. On the other hand, i have it installed on my laptop too, and don't get any drop outs there. Yamaha is also absolutely clueless, and can't reproduce it, as far as i read. Difficult stuff.
It may be. I believe I first tried the combo of those two on windows 7 and it was fine. But since I've let the upgrade go through, I've switched to layering spybot with Malwarebytes..and just got greedy and tried avast also. I like spybot for the deep scan and Malwarebytes (subscription) for the active.
Another thing, that you should try(that I just found last night), is to disable core parking if you have a multi-core cpu. I found an easy tool that I used for windows 10 (AMD dual core): http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-c ... ng-manager . I noticed higher efficiency of cores and the sound was noticeably cleaner by setting this to 100% core efficiency. Here's a second try on that link: http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-c ... ng-manager

KVRAF
3411 posts since 27 Dec, 2002 from North East England

Post Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 am

Kaine wrote:Microsoft Security Essentials does the job, is free and doesn't bother you. Isn't quite as zero day as the Avast as it doesn't do heuristic scanning, but that's the reason is doesn't eat your resources. The threat list is updated a few times a week, so as long as your not sat on dodgy sites all pulling down brand new malware, it should see you fine.
MSE/Windows Defender isn't particularly resource light. System impact is mediocre compared to other solutions, and dire when you consider the level of protection offered. Pretty much every big name AV out there (including the 'big three' freebies) is lighter on resources.

Source: the always excellent http://www.av-comparatives.org/

KVRAF
1928 posts since 4 Nov, 2004 from Manchester

Post Thu May 26, 2016 1:16 am

spacekid wrote:^ They changed windows 10 to not include security essentials, but windows defender (which is it's successor) if anyone is looking. It's fine, but I've found it a bit dodgy, as it likes to shut down if it detects any other active virus software...so there is no layering with it.
You shouldn't be layering A/V that does slow the system to a crawl. On demand scanners are fine (ones where you have to actively run it) but having two running at the same time, all the time is a performance nightmare.
cron wrote: MSE/Windows Defender isn't particularly resource light. System impact is mediocre compared to other solutions, and dire when you consider the level of protection offered. Pretty much every big name AV out there (including the 'big three' freebies) is lighter on resources.
I'm not disagreeing, on systems where I'm not running audio I've always used Symantic or Kaspersky.

My point however, and yours in a way, is that it doesn't do real-time heuristic scanning and that's the system resource heavy process that can trip over programs in real-time whilst its scanning. Yes, that makes it less secure, but it also means it isn't going to hold up everything in the background every damn time you open something. If I'm doing support and someone has a problem with an A/V solution and audio I point them at MSE (or whatever they called it this week), solves it. If your running a data center however, it'd be somewhere at the bottom of the list.

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1022 posts since 12 Sep, 2005

Post Thu May 26, 2016 6:56 am

Kaine wrote:
spacekid wrote:^ They changed windows 10 to not include security essentials, but windows defender (which is it's successor) if anyone is looking. It's fine, but I've found it a bit dodgy, as it likes to shut down if it detects any other active virus software...so there is no layering with it.
You shouldn't be layering A/V that does slow the system to a crawl. On demand scanners are fine (ones where you have to actively run it) but having two running at the same time, all the time is a performance nightmare.
cron wrote: MSE/Windows Defender isn't particularly resource light. System impact is mediocre compared to other solutions, and dire when you consider the level of protection offered. Pretty much every big name AV out there (including the 'big three' freebies) is lighter on resources.
I'm not disagreeing, on systems where I'm not running audio I've always used Symantic or Kaspersky.

My point however, and yours in a way, is that it doesn't do real-time heuristic scanning and that's the system resource heavy process that can trip over programs in real-time whilst its scanning. Yes, that makes it less secure, but it also means it isn't going to hold up everything in the background every damn time you open something. If I'm doing support and someone has a problem with an A/V solution and audio I point them at MSE (or whatever they called it this week), solves it. If your running a data center however, it'd be somewhere at the bottom of the list.
It doesn't slow it down. Trust me, I'm fine. Some combination may, but the two I use are faster together than just using the built in MS software alone.

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1022 posts since 12 Sep, 2005

Post Thu May 26, 2016 11:19 am

spacekid wrote:
Kaine wrote:
spacekid wrote:^ They changed windows 10 to not include security essentials, but windows defender (which is it's successor) if anyone is looking. It's fine, but I've found it a bit dodgy, as it likes to shut down if it detects any other active virus software...so there is no layering with it.
You shouldn't be layering A/V that does slow the system to a crawl. On demand scanners are fine (ones where you have to actively run it) but having two running at the same time, all the time is a performance nightmare.
cron wrote: MSE/Windows Defender isn't particularly resource light. System impact is mediocre compared to other solutions, and dire when you consider the level of protection offered. Pretty much every big name AV out there (including the 'big three' freebies) is lighter on resources.
I'm not disagreeing, on systems where I'm not running audio I've always used Symantic or Kaspersky.

My point however, and yours in a way, is that it doesn't do real-time heuristic scanning and that's the system resource heavy process that can trip over programs in real-time whilst its scanning. Yes, that makes it less secure, but it also means it isn't going to hold up everything in the background every damn time you open something. If I'm doing support and someone has a problem with an A/V solution and audio I point them at MSE (or whatever they called it this week), solves it. If your running a data center however, it'd be somewhere at the bottom of the list.
It doesn't slow it down. Trust me, I'm fine. Some combination may, but the two I use are faster together than just using the built in MS software alone.
I did a little digging as to why this is so. Spybot free doesn't offer background scanning in it's edition and I have Malwarebytes scheduled tasks removed(via it's own tools). Like I said before, I use spybot for an occasional deep scan and the only thing active in Malwarebytes is malicious website and Malware protection.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”