MIX CHALLENGE - MC26 October 2016 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
actioncat
KVRist
112 posts since 19 Dec, 2014 from Philadelphia PA, US

Post Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:19 pm

Everything's sounding pretty good so far, just wanna give the mixes a couple listens on different equipment...

Compyfox
KVRAF
14279 posts since 19 Oct, 2003 from Berlin, Germany

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC26 October 2016 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:28 am

It's the 9th November - the second Mix Round has officially ended.
Please check the links to your files again, maybe (if you want to) also add some documentation.

Other than that, please watch this thread. :tu:
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ]

actioncat
KVRist

Post Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:11 pm

OK guys, this was REALLY tough, and there was a lot I liked about each mix, but here's what I picked:

#1 Photonic

#2 Compyfox

#3 Bibibeatgrid

#4 Dave McIsaac

#5 Pitta

The first two are very close to how I might have mixed the track myself if I could mix better, and I was impressed by the creativity of the third (in addition to liking the mix). Pitta and Erictracks, you guys impressed me with your creativity as well, but there were still a few things I didn't like in the end. Camsr, you had super crisp drums I really liked, but your bass still had some noise... I think maybe it was a bit overcompressed, which I guess makes sense with how much louder your mix was than everyone elses. and Dave McIsaac, you had a nice mix with no problems, but also nothing really stuck out to me.
Ultimately this comes down to my preferences, so sorry if I overlooked something that to you guys was technically superior.
Last edited by actioncat on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

camsr
KVRAF
6920 posts since 17 Feb, 2005

Post Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks for good feedback. About creativity in the mixing, I took the stance that without the vocal, there would be a vocal added later, so I didn't change things too much, mostly made a scoop with solid ryhthm and energy.

Pitta
KVRer
13 posts since 17 Apr, 2016 from Lisboa, Portugal

Post Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks for the song. Technically superior doesn't matter. At the end it's down to taste.
I've got to get going, too many mix contests this month...

Congratulations to the winners!

Pitta

photonic
KVRian
532 posts since 5 Mar, 2011 from Austria

Post Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi all!

Wow, thank you so much Actioncat ! :D :hug:
When I heard this track the first I did not gave me a chance to make one of the first places. Because I do not listen to such genre and so I thought I have too less experience with it. So I decided to mix it for my taste, in the way I would like to listen to it. Fortuntely my taste seem to be compatible with Actioncat 's one.

My congratulations to Compyfox and Bibibeatgrid for your top places :clap:

I hand over all prices to the next winners.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

davemcisaac
KVRist
61 posts since 10 Jul, 2010 from United States

Post Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:09 am

Congratulations to Photonic, Compyfox, and Bibibeatgrid. See you on MC 27!
Dave McIsaac

Compyfox
KVRAF

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC26 October 2016 - Winners announced

Post Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:00 am

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners.

You know the drill at this point. Please select your license (if you want to), and announce it in the thread, then get in touch with either Satyatunes or me (for Two Notes and NyrvSystems).

Then a Q to our "client":
Was the panning automation a bit too much now? It was a last minute decision so to speak. And which version did you like more... the "normal" one, or the "variant" (where I muted the snare right after the intro voice sample)?

Other than that, see you in the next challenge indeed. :tu:
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ]

Bibibeatgrid
KVRer
9 posts since 21 Jan, 2011

Post Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:55 am

whooohohohoooo :hyper:

Thank you Actioncat, this was my second mix challenge, and i'm approx. 3 month at the produce like a pro (Warren Huart) mixing academy. I'm very happy to be already at the third place on the victory staircase!

If i can place my wish: i would like to get the ACON DIGITAL Restoration Suite. :love:

cheers from hamburg
Bianca

actioncat
KVRist

Post Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:52 pm

photonic wrote:Wow, thank you so much Actioncat ! :D :hug:
When I heard this track the first I did not gave me a chance to make one of the first places. Because I do not listen to such genre and so I thought I have too less experience with it. So I decided to mix it for my taste, in the way I would like to listen to it. Fortuntely my taste seem to be compatible with Actioncat's one.
You're welcome! :hug:
Mixing to your own taste worked well, I suspect our musical preferences are pretty different but the way you mixed this track hit a spot where they meet :phones:
Compyfox wrote: Was the panning automation a bit too much now? It was a last minute decision so to speak. And which version did you like more... the "normal" one, or the "variant" (where I muted the snare right after the intro voice sample)?
I didn't think it was too much. I probably would've done more panning automation myself originally but I got lazy towards the end lol.
And I liked the normal version better, since the snare is there in the rest of the intro I thought that spot sounded off without it.
Bibibeatgrid wrote:Thank you Actioncat, this was my second mix challenge, and i'm approx. 3 month at the produce like a pro (Warren Huart) mixing academy. I'm very happy to be already at the third place on the victory staircase!
You're welcome, and congrats :tu:

Compyfox
KVRAF

Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:52 am

Thank you actioncat for your feedback.

And man, I'm super blind...
photonic wrote:I hand over all prices to the next winners.
I'm not selecting anything either - because I'm pretty much stuffed with what I have.

Looking at recent challenges, we see more and more new faces popping up, providing excellent mixes and making it among the top spots. Usually, we (the Challenge hosts) don't do this, but I think spreading the love every once in a while is fine. :tu:

Since both photonic and I forward our licenses to the next winners, let places 3 to 5 select a free license this month. :party:

Bibibeatgrid already selected the Acon Digital Resotration Suite (please contact satyatunes with your full name and mail address, he'll sort things out for you)

Next up in line would be Dave McIsaac and then Pitta.

:hug:

See you in the next challenge, people!

davemcisaac
KVRist
61 posts since 10 Jul, 2010 from United States

Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:45 am

It feels a bit like a consolation prize (like "Miss Congeniality") - but I'll take it anyway! :lol: I choose Torpedo Wall of Sound III.

Thanks Photonic & Compyfox for passing these prizes on!
Dave McIsaac

Pitta
KVRer

Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:45 pm

I feel the love. I'll take the consolation prize too! :D
A Metric Halo ChannelStrip 3 will come in handy! Thanks guys!

Pitta

Compyfox
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:40 am

Folks, you are all winners if you ask me.
You made it to Round 2 out of several entrants - and we just wanted to spread the love. :tu:

@Pitta:
did you contact satyatunes yet?

Pitta
KVRer

Post Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:46 am

Ok, done.
Cheers
Pitta

Return to “Production Techniques”