Fluid Harmonics, congratulations on a fine instrument :) and also a question

KVRAF
1738 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:53 am

Hi, can't believe I'm the very first to post over here, as it seems you've been here for months already :).

First and foremost: Fluid Harmonics is absolutely beautiful work! SO useful for laying down intricate motion beds for music for media and the like; and although pulling off that sort of rhythmical material is clearly its main purpose, I'm surprised at the gorgeous and spacey pads one can get out of this as well. It's a gem! (I'm sure Fluid Strike is as well, it's just that Harmonics is the one I now have first hand experience on.)

A basic question, too: after entering values into an arp table, for the velocities of each individual note in the pattern, is there a global (or per layer) depth control for these as well? Like, trigger the arp and keep it running, then control the depth parameter and it scales the velocities read from the table, allowing changing dynamics on the fly.

It would be very useful for riding the modwheel/faders on different layers while the arp is doing its thing. In other words, instead of riding MW for only playback volume or filter, it would be great if one could simply ride the depth of the arp velocity values, creating natural sounding varying dynamics, smoothly bringing up an element in intensity by scaling the actual velocities being played.

It's likely I have just missed a control like this :) -- in any case, any info appreciated on this!

KVRAF
2370 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:07 am

It's very good indeed (as was the quality for Kyle's previous company Nine Volt Audio).

I personally prefer the excellent Fluid Strike because I'm a percussionist, but Fluid Harmonics is certainly an interesting and useful musical tool to have.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:25 am

dark water wrote:It's very good indeed (as was the quality for Kyle's previous company Nine Volt Audio).
Ahhhh right, I'm sure I've noticed this continuity at some point, but forgot about it :dog:

Yeah it's excellent stuff, I have licenses for a lot of what they published, been using Taiko 2, Shimmer and Shake and the like for years.

KVRer
2 posts since 31 Mar, 2014 from Nashville, Tennessee - United States

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:45 am

Guenon wrote:
A basic question, too: after entering values into an arp table, for the velocities of each individual note in the pattern, is there a global (or per layer) depth control for these as well? Like, trigger the arp and keep it running, then control the depth parameter and it scales the velocities read from the table, allowing changing dynamics on the fly.
Hey there. First off: thanks for the purchase and kind words!

I get what you want to happen: You want to modify your input velocity after it's been sent to Kontakt.

Unfortunately we didn't think to add a function like that to the engine - and I don't know if I've ever seen that in a Kontakt instrument - but theoretically it's probably possible.

With that being said, I'm not sure the we can implement it in a later version. This is because the engine we designed for Fluid Harmonics and Fluid Strike is deeply complex and adding new UI features is somewhat difficult for a number of reasons.

One solution - although not the best - is you could MIDI learn the +/- buttons on the Triple Play arp page and "ride" those - although this would probably only work if you had a pattern that used the same velocity across the entire pattern and had no "gaps". Otherwise, going too high or low with those buttons will cause you to max out every step in the pattern or reduce them to 0.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Thanks for the swift answer!
InSessionAudio wrote:One solution - although not the best - is you could MIDI learn the +/- buttons on the Triple Play arp page and "ride" those - although this would probably only work if you had a pattern that used the same velocity across the entire pattern and had no "gaps". Otherwise, going too high or low with those buttons will cause you to max out every step in the pattern or reduce them to 0.
Yep, actually already tried that. True, it's not that optimal, because of the value clipping and also the way the "scaling" isn't actually stored anywhere, only the actions of "nudge step values up / down."

No worries, it's an exquisite library without this functionality too ;), this was just something I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing somewhere.
InSessionAudio wrote:Unfortunately we didn't think to add a function like that to the engine - and I don't know if I've ever seen that in a Kontakt instrument - but theoretically it's probably possible.
Think of it this way: when the arp is generating the trigger that plays a note, this would act like a simple multiplier for the velocity. After the arp generated value, before triggering the actual sample.

Or, if put differently (and more appropriately for this use), the control would specify the maximum possible velocity value the arp can output, and scales the arp generated values in relation to that.

Basically, just like that curve mapping does, but doing this transformation after the arp, and with one simple control exposed to the user (specifying the max value) :)

This is being done in several libraries, here's an example of Action Strikes, where the user can ride the modwheel and the actual generated trigger values are being velocity scaled:

Wheel down:

Wheel up: (not the exact same play position at the moment the screenshot was taken, but you get the idea)

Depending on how the arp in your engine generates its values behind the scenes, if scaling like this appears as a bonus update at some point, color me very happy :)

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:38 pm

At the moment, I think this is the most convenient way to do a running arp with true variable control over the velocity dynamics, using current features of the engine:

Copy the arp sequence, paste it into multiple scenes and adjust their velocity level with the + and - controls to form a continuity, from low to high. Then just automate the scene control. It provides an absolute, project position chaseable control for varying velocity levels for an arp sequence, and the arp plays correctly without interruption while the scenes change :tu:

Frankly, I'm a-okay with this solution already. Of course, if you'd like to refine some of these ideas for an upcoming update, that's great :), but in practice this sounds very nice for the kinds of dynamic passages I had in mind when asking about this. Combining this with filter and volume automation over here as I write = :party:

Return to “In Session Audio”