Feature request from a NON musician

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI as I have said many times before on this forum I am not a musician
and cant play any instruments, but I get hours of fun playing with BW and all my gear

every now and then I come up with a nice little beat
and I save it so I can load it back in another day

so I load it back in and decide I want to alter a few bits
but I don't want to over write the original save
all well and good because I can use SAVE AS

But what happened to me was that I shut down BW and got the message YOUR FILE HAS BEEN MODIFIED do you wish to save the changes, so I click yes thinking it would (1) open up a save as request
(2) save the file with a extension IE my file . update 1

but it didn't, it just saved over my original file
not such a big problem for me, but maybe it would be for a professional that needed to keep the original

just thought I would mention this as I think its a good idea
or maybe not.

cheers
Kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

I agree, I think that a an 'incremental save' option would also benefit the user . I mean by a + button on both the drop-down menu and in the shutdown/modified window. The + button will add a new number to the end of the song title e.g SongTitle , SongTitle-01 , SongTitle-02 etc. This way the user has to type less if he is working on variants of the same song and we would have an option to save our modified song ( without over writing the original ) on an accidental shutdown as turbo_kev experienced. :)

Better yet, infinite undo and redo. There's a text editor called Write! that has this. At any time you can go back to a blank page or to the very last edit. No matter how many times you save or over how many sessions.

I version control my files using git

jonljacobi wrote:Better yet, infinite undo and redo. There's a text editor called Write! that has this. At any time you can go back to a blank page or to the very last edit. No matter how many times you save or over how many sessions.
I think that it's safe to assume that a text editor probably uses much less memory than a DAW..... Each time an undo/redo state is made, your project has to basically keep copying itself.

meowlicious wrote:I version control my files using git
Do you have a cron job setup for pushing the files to github or is git able to take care of the changes ?

mikoatkvr wrote:
Do you have a cron job setup for pushing the files to github or is git able to take care of the changes ?
Nothing wrong about (local or privately hosted) git, but Github is certainly not the platform you'd want to abuse as your personal audio file storage ;).
Github terms of service wrote:If your bandwidth usage significantly exceeds the average bandwidth usage (as determined solely by GitHub) of other GitHub customers, we reserve the right to immediately disable your account or throttle your file hosting until you can reduce your bandwidth consumption.

mikoatkvr wrote:
You still have to choose when to commit your changes to your local repo, so the standard procedure would be

- Add changes
- Commit changes
- Push changes

Just the normal git workflow. Well, except that merge and diff really won't work... :-p

You still have to choose when to commit your changes to your local repo, so the standard procedure would be

- Add changes
- Commit changes
- Push changes

Just the normal git workflow. Well, except that merge and diff really won't work... :-p
Ah good to know, as I have a bit of experience with using git for pushing the occasional commit to the 'LMMS' project. I should be able to figure this out :)

The 1st line from command ' man git ' reads "git - the stupid content tracker" :o

Return to “Bitwig”