Footswitch continuous message

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi,

i've just received the yamaha fc3a sustain pedal, which is supposed to send continuous message instead of on/off; for use with piano libraries with half-pedaling / re-pedaling support. now, it doesn't work, it might be a soft issue, a pedal issue, a me issue. :o
could you please confirm that that the footswitch on the linnstrument does indeed support continuous message, both for sustain and expression ?

thank you in advance for your answer.

all the best

well, if i get it right, reading here and there for informations, it looks like the CC64 continuous control is more related to a software/firmware implementation than it is to hardware as i had previously thought. anyway, i can very well do without it, but more expressive control is always welcome.

I'm afraid that LinnStrument's Foot Switch input is an input for foot switches, not foot expression pedals, and therefore the internal hardware can sense only on and off states. However, you can easily merge the output of any expression pedal (or any other MIDI controller) with LinnStrument's MIDI output, thereby allowing you to have as many continuous foot controllers as you wish while playing LinnStrument.

hi Roger,

thank you for the answer.
yes, that question does bother me a bit. how do i merge the ouput of any midi controller with my linnstrument's midi output ? that would probably solves my issue and offers even more control ideas.

hi Roger,

thank you for the answer.
yes, that question does bother me a bit. how do i merge the ouput of any midi controller with my linnstrument's midi output ? that would probably solves my issue and offers even more control ideas.

//---

ps : i think i got it, thanks !

This is a midi merge device. It is quite small and made by a company that has been around a long time, making inexpensive small midi devices that do various types of merge, filtering, etc.

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDImerge2/

This is the company's product page:

www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

Tony

@tbeltrans, thank you for the infos.

edit : i mean thank you very much for the links. that's exactly what i was looking for ! :tu:

I am also trying to use a continuous pedal with my linnstrument. Is there any way to merge midi signals at the usb level so I don't have bother with midi cables? Also, can anyone recommend a (small) device for converting the analog pedal signal from my Roland DP-10 to midi?

Or perhaps the best solution is a continuous pedal with usb out, if anyone knows of such a thing..

Tuee wrote:I am also trying to use a continuous pedal with my linnstrument. Is there any way to merge midi signals at the usb level so I don't have bother with midi cables? Also, can anyone recommend a (small) device for converting the analog pedal signal from my Roland DP-10 to midi?

Or perhaps the best solution is a continuous pedal with usb out, if anyone knows of such a thing..
I recently built my own kb controller board which included four continous pedal connections. If you are handy with soldering and coding you could build your own device for a couple of tens of dollars. See arduino, specifically teensy are suitable.

The continous pedals are fairly easy as dyi midi hacks go.

I may open source what i have soon, but soldering and sourcing of components would still be required.
PhasePhckr (modular MPE VSTi) G+
Fatar88Lux (dyi MIDI brain) bitbucket
Assault Opera - sound cloud | spotify

hi digitaldog,

You don't have to specifically merge the LinnStrument and MIDI expression pedal data but rather only to get the expression pedal data into the computer. Then if you send both signals to the track, you are effectively merging them.

For example, let's say you used the USB MIDI Pedal Controller from TEC as suggested by palaires, and further program it to send MIDI CC7 (volume pedal). You would then assign both LinnStrument and the TEC control MIDI devices to be inputs to a track in your DAW, so the CC7 messages sent by movements of the expression pedal would be merged with LinnStrument's MIDI messages.

By the way, I am not aware of any single expression pedal that outputs either MIDI or MIDI-over-USB. I think the reason that none exist is that Behringer's FCB1010 foot console (with 2 expression pedals and 10 foot switches) is so cheap at $149 that no small manufacturers can make a single pedal for less.

Sounds like a great controller board @ulph; just a couple of photos to have us dreaming ;-)

palaires wrote:Sounds like a great controller board @ulph; just a couple of photos to have us dreaming ;-)
3+x XLR connectors
1x teensy or equivalent
some wires / protoboard
a box or a piece of acrylic or wood
glue?

:)
PhasePhckr (modular MPE VSTi) G+
Fatar88Lux (dyi MIDI brain) bitbucket
Assault Opera - sound cloud | spotify

I came across this video, from Rabea Massaad, explaining how to set up and use the Boss EV-1-WL Wireless MIDI Expression Pedal and thought that it might be helpful to post it in this thread.
He starts by getting the EV-1-WL working then goes on into setting it up to control parameters within plugins in a DAW such as Logic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndrrd-8tlog
It is a Boss sponsored video.

Rabea is an excellent guitarist in the progressive metal genre and an Ernie Ball Musicman Artist.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”