MXL V67I Microphone - Opinions?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I currently own a Rodes NT1A which is considered by many to be a great mic, which I believe it is, but for my vocals specifically, I find it can be a little harsh at times.
I have watched many videos of people using this mic and they sound great, so I am aware that it is more me than the mic itself.

I am obviously going to continue to work on getting better vocals with my current setup, but I have just been looking around because it is a typical thing to do to look to replace your gear :)

I was looking around and I came across the MXL V67G which apparently is a little less of a bright microphone. In doing some research I found that there is a model called the V67I which to my surprise has an interesting feature of using two different capsules you can switch between. One is labeled "warm" which apparently is meant to be the same as the V67G and the other is labeled "bright" which gives you a brighter tone.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this microphone out and has any opinions to share about it.
The Rodes is considered to be a very quiet mic, I read in a review somewhere that the V67G / V67I is not quiet, can anyone comment on this?

Overall the V67G itself gets many great reviews, the V67I version is about $100 more and I was wondering if this feature is worth it, or could the same "brightness" just be achieved by using the V67G with some EQ?

Also is it weird to have to spin the mic around to sing into the back of it?

Again I am not going to run out and buy a new mic, but I just thought this was something interesting that I have never seen before and I was just wondering how it works.

Thank You

I'm from the school of thought that a 99$ mic sounds 95% as good as a 2000 mic. The main inhibitors to great mic'ing are

1) the room
2) the rooms sound deadening
3) the room

Take care of these 3 and any mic is usable.

If the v67 I looks appealing check out th v69 me. A fantastic mic at any price. I sometimes Choose it over my u87 or my modded clones.

Now you listen hear, you "Stupid American Pig" :) you forgot the most important thing of all which is inhibitor number 4....
4.) The Room!
Yeah I am with you I can understand what you are saying, I am finding it hard to justify going above my imposed limit of $50-$300 for my own personal needs.
I was actually thinking I would get some ridicule for bringing up a $65 mic, glad to see not yet...
That is why I thought the V67I was appealing, because it is like you are getting two mics in one.

@Scotty
Oh, Scotty, don't do this too me, I have come across a couple of "tube" based mics and I have been trying my best to ignore them. I think I did come across this one on their website, but I clicked away from it quick, something about tube mics are so appealing to me but it is just the complexity and extra stuff (power source and extra cabling) needed to make them work that I use as excuses to stay away from them, but I know these excuses are not valid.
So you think that highly of this mic, dammit you have me on Amazon right now looking at it! :)
As if I needed another microphone on my list of ones to consider, nice going!

@Scotty
Interestingly enough, there is also a "tube" version of the V67I as well.

I had the V69ME which I think is quite similar, but didn't like it at all, very harsh in the highs.

@Hermetech Mastering
(Interesting because a couple posts above, another owner of the V69ME gives it high praise)
Thank You for the response, the "very harsh highs" are one of the main things I am afraid of.
That was one of the main reasons I was looking at the MXL V67I (non tube version) because of its unique design of having two capsules you can switch between, my hope was that it would give me two chances of picking the right microphone, with only one purchase :)
The "warm" side is said to be darker and the "bright" side is apparently a brighter version.
I have never owned any MXL products so it is hard to tell if the MXL V67I will have the "harsh highs" as well.

Thank You again for sharing this we me.

Check out the Advanced Audio mics too then. Chinese capsules, grills and bodies, but designed, built and QC tested by Dave Thomas and his team in Canada. I recently got their new CM48T and it blows the V69ME out of the water, for not too much more money. Of course all mics and sources need to be matched well, but on male vocals and acoustic guitar here, the CM48T just sounds "there", very coloured, very classic, very nice. I'm gonna order their DM20 soon too, dynamic with RE20/SM7b style characteristics, for way less money.

I was just wondering if someone would be able to look at the frequency response graph in the following link and maybe give me some opinions.

http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/studio/V67i/

I know that these graphs are not really giving the whole story as far as what they will actually sound like, I wish more people owned this mic and talked more about it but anyways, I am trying to determine if this mic is really worth a shot. I really like the idea of getting two mics in one because it gives the consumer double the changes of getting someone usable.

It is literally $100 more for the V67I version over the V67G, and I was just wondering based on the graph, it seems that the "warm" capsule is the same as the V67G, which has a surprisingly flat response, the "bright" capsule however seems to have a crazy amount of high end jumping up to what looks like 10dB. I was just wondering if this "bright" side could even be used for male vocals.
As I mentioned my NT1A can already be a little too harsh at times, so I would imagine that the "bright" side of this MXL will not be something I would be able to use.

I know the capsules themselves are different but I was just wondering if the "warm" side could really just be equalized with an EQ and just be made brighter, eliminating the need for getting this two capsule model?

The V67G seems to get great reviews overall, many consider it a darker mic which I believe would work for my voice, hopefully. It seems to have a really flat response (I don't think I have actually seen one flatter as far as less expensive microphones) so I would imagine it would be easy to EQ and add some brightness if needed.

If anyone has any comments or opinions to share about the V67I or even the V67G, please do so.
Thank You

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”