Aurora Time Drops - (Goa Trance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any thoughts or opinions? It's a work in progress. I will share more as I update it if anyone is interested in hearing the final version or how it progresses to that point :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/touch-the-univer ... ndset-demo
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

All synths are Rapid? Very nice. Love the meldoies and the synth sounds, especially the FM-ish sounds at 4:40 (as Rapid doesn't have FM I assume it is just some wavetables playing at very low register, right?).

Mixing is good, the only issuie may be the kick drum, modern goa tracks typically have much stronger kicks.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Yes, all sounds are rapid made from scratch :)

The first thing I'm going to do when I transfer the track in studio one, and redo it, is to beef up that kick :hihi: After that, get some semi modern drum type of sounds in there. I was going for the retro goa vibe at first but I will see how it goes adding some more interesting drums to it :tu:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Good vibes !

Nice, but it seems musical instruments in the midrange are a bit too overpowered when listening to my Polk T-50 floorstanding speakers. Were you mixing your song at loud volume? Mixing your song at loud volume could make the lows and highs seem overhyped.

Do a low-volume test by turning down your speakers at very low volumes. I can hear the kick, snare, and all the midrange instruments, but it seems the bassline is out of the picture.

Update 1: Guess I was wrong. The bass is still in picture and it seems to be more of "laid-back" instead of being upfront. Even at -70dB in my receiver with SPL calibrated for my two speakers, the bass is still there with Audyssey's Dynamic EQ turned off (it hypes up the low-end and makes the low-mid sounded boomy).

Update 2: As I listen to the same song a little more, it seems the midrange instruments are way more upfront compared to the rest of the instruments.

Update 3: After more analytical listening at low volume (at -70dB), at every fourth beat where an instrument is played at A and B note, the instrument in the middle of the song sounds overpowered at around 250-300 Hz compared to the end of the song. Try to keep things more consistent if you can and like I said before, turn it down and try to balance all of your tracks.
Arch Linux in a custom-built machine, Behringer FCA1616, TC M-One XL, RCA Studio Producer desk

Music I listen to: New Age (instrumental), Epcot (Future World)

Hey guys, thanks so much for your good vibes :)

GraysonPeddie, wow, thanks so much for such an depth listening and monitoring. I am mixing this song at an incredibly low volume. Before I uploaded it, I quickly put a limiter on it and raised the volume by 15 db! This is by no means a finished track. Once I get into mixing it again, I will address many things, alot which you mentioned. You did bring up some very good points about balancing out the ranges across the spectrum. This is something I come across from time to time, like mixing the track using the slope of pink noise to achieve an optimal spectrum balance though, I never actually get around to doing it, even though I understand the principles. If it sounds good to me, I just go with it. A mixture between the two methods seems like a good bet.

It seems there is a lot of mud in the track, around the 250-300hz range. I will pay particular attention to this region when I'm mixing it again, and will try to achieve a more balanced mix. When I have a new mix to share, I hope you don't mind if I send you a pm ;)

TTU Youtube

I've learned a lot of stuff from Graham, a founder of TheRecordingRevolution.com, ranging from "attack principle," mixing in mono, how to avoid mixing mistakes, mixing home studio drums (although my drums are all sample-based and I'm more of a new age musician), and among other things.

I even learn a lot from Graham with 5 Minutes To A Better Mix in 30 Days as well. I've been a mailing list subscriber for a couple of years now.

Anyway, I hope I can be of help to you. Good luck in your musical journey.
Arch Linux in a custom-built machine, Behringer FCA1616, TC M-One XL, RCA Studio Producer desk

Music I listen to: New Age (instrumental), Epcot (Future World)

I enjoyed it. Lots of energy and I thought the mix was good, although some of the synths in the 300Hz-1000Hz range seemed quote powerful (although not distorted) and maybe just a touch too "upfront", although this in only my opinion/preference.

Good work :)

Like it a lot but in my opinion but the drums need to be more prominent
to give it more energy.

Enjoyed this. It has great energy and also evolves nicely...
The lead synth at 2:28 (and 3:44 and 5:30) is a bit quiet for me.
Like the gritty sound at 4:45.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Wow, thanks so much guys. I really appreciate your comments and it's given me a lot of enthusiasm to improve and finish up the song. I will be sure to take all the advice you guys give and act on them. I'll be spicing up the drums and taking extra care to eq everything properly so there levels will be balanced throughout the track. Thanks again.

TTU Youtube

hectic rhythm and ambiance... a bit busy but sounds nice

Everyone has opinions in here, when don't I express mine...never. :lol:
First, big time energy. I'm listening on small PC speaker now, so can't review the sound. I do feel a slow fltr sweep on the bass seq would be grand. I also think it's not trippy enough. I call for delays used at the right times to create counter point grooves and into a climax then break.

Cool track though.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Return to “Music Cafe”