Basic Eurorack System Recommendations

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I bought a Moog Mother 32 several months ago with the intention of making it the heart of a basic Eurorack systeml I plan to purchase either the two or three tier rack that will hold an additional one or two 60 hp cases. I am still new to hardware synths, so am wondering what additional modules everyone here would recommend to make this system as versatile as possible? I was planning to buy a digital wavetable oscillator to complement the Moog analog one, and think that a delay module would be handy. Any other suggestions you may have to complete this system would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't know if you've been over to Muff Wiggler yet, but this question is asked by Mother owners several times a week. I'd advise checking out some of the threads there. :tu:

Maths
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Seconding the Muff Wiggler recommendation -- it really is the go-to place for modular geekery. Also check out Modular Grid, for research and planning purposes.

I don't have a Mother 32 and don't know what kind of music you want to make, so I won't say much. But my feeling is, don't get anything in Eurorack that you can do better in software or standalone -- and delays (and effects in general) mostly fall into that category. There are some exceptions, mostly in terms of modulation or interesting approaches that haven't already been covered a million times in software and guitar pedals.

I've been fairly disappointed with my Synthrotek DLY for instance. I got it because I thought it'd be fun in feedback loops, and because it gets dirty and glitchy at long delay settings. But it's not that great and I will probably replace it as my rack fills up. I prefer ArcDev ET-301 or Audio Damage Dubstation or NI Replika or Sonic Charge Echobode for delays.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Maths
Is there a euro setup anywhere that doesn't have a Maths in it? I see it everywhere.

For the delay a Roland Demora might be a good option if you can find one. Like the Mother-32 it can be used as a standalone unit or racked (although I hear it's quite power-hungry). It can also double as a DC-coupled audio interface so you can use it to connect up Reaktor 6, Softube Modular, BWS2 etc to your euro system. That way you could use some software options until you buy hardware equivalents. See here. Otherwise some Expert Sleepers module could give you the same functionality.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote:Is there a euro setup anywhere that doesn't have a Maths in it? I see it everywhere.
I don't have a Maths. (This is pretty much the Eurorack equivalent of saying "I don't own a TV.")

There are those who say two Functions is better than one Maths. I take that one step further and say that Tides is way better than Function at audio rates (but you give up slewing incoming voltages and doing track-and-hold except on its own signal, but you also get sub-octave output and a wavefolder and with alternate firmware, additive synthesis and a random walk generator or a wavetable VCO), and Mini Slew is better than Function at having CV inputs for absolutely everything (though it has no hold function) and not spewing voltages out of its supposed inputs... therefore a Tides and a Mini Slew are better than Maths. :hihi:

But seriously, while I'm positively inclined toward Make Noise and love the 0-Coast, I do think Maths is not really as essential as it's made out to be. I plan on building out a second rack next year, and it may or may not have a Maths simply depending on how much I decide to focus on Make Noise with it.

foosnark wrote:
sprnva wrote:Is there a euro setup anywhere that doesn't have a Maths in it? I see it everywhere.
I don't have a Maths. (This is pretty much the Eurorack equivalent of saying "I don't own a TV.")
Same here and you're absolutely right. LOL Maths has reached cult status. :evil:

See i would suggest more VCAs envelopes and LFOs, which was why I recommend Maths for the latter two (bouncing balls anyone?).
Coupled with the multitude of other functions it can perform it offers great bang for the buck

I also have Tides, Quadra plus expander and an Envelator and while they all do similar things they do them differently enough and are just LFOs or envelops at their basic level, can do complex processing or be used as an audio source even.

But then I wanted a system with lots of modulation with deep programmability
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ = Maths cultist... they sound helpful, but watch out for them :evil: :lol:

There are that many different ways you can go in Eurorack(*) these days, have you got some sense of what sort of direction you would like to go in?

(*) from remakes of filters and the like from 'classic' synths, and even classic drum synth voices, through to sample-playback and manipulation, to physical modelling type to all sorts of modulation, sequencing and performance toys plus a plethora of effects from spring reverb on up...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Eh, Maths earns its hype by being so damn versatile. It's popularity also means lots of documentation, YouTube vids etc for getting the most out of it.

Here is my rack, for what it's worth, which is a 3-tier Mom with an extra 54HP lunchbox:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/301368

(A bunch of 1U tiles as well)

FM Aid in particular is worth a look, especially with a Mom. Send the saw from Mom to it and you get a huge new range of new timbres, all frequency synced to Mom's oscillator which is good for basses.

Also have two of Roland's Aira modules, the delay and distortion. They are FANTASTIC as utilities as you can completely reconfigure them via software, so they'll do everything from cross-fading to 'tuned' bitcrushing to formant-style phasing. Neat stuff.

whyterabbyt wrote:(*) from remakes of filters and the like from 'classic' synths, and even classic drum synth voices, through to sample-playback and manipulation, to physical modelling type to all sorts of modulation, sequencing and performance toys plus a plethora of effects from spring reverb on up...
My first rack has been kind of a directionless mess, just an exploration of what's out there in modular and what I can't really do in software. And I love it and have learned a ton and it does so much beautiful, nasty and weird stuff <3

The second modular rack I'm starting to plan is going to be West Coast with a twist (Make Noise/Harvestman with Sport Modulator and maybe Frames instead of a RxMx).

I was barely even aware of West Coast synthesis before I got into modular -- I was surprised that a wavefolder isn't just for f**king up drum loops, and literally had to google what an LPG was. :oops:

For West Coast have you looked at the Verbos stuff at all? Mark was big in Buchla repairs so he knows that whole system inside and out. Like Make Noise (and Buchla) he seems to go for density with his modules and tries to get a lot into them.

I'm not really sure where I'd start building a system. It's hard to know what I'd want just looking at stuff online. I'd probably have to take a trip to a store somewhere and get hands on with different modules and see what works for me.
Last edited by sprnva on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

This is all very helpful information, everyone - thank you very much! Please keep the thoughts and recommendations coming . . . .

I started into Eurorack to build a FX rack that I could run my other hardware synths through. So I focused on distortion, filters, delay. Eventually I realized I need modulation sources for the FX modules, and then I needed attenuverters to add some control to the modulation. And then I needed... yeah, you know where this is going.

By the time I filled my second 84hp row, I had a bolt of inspiration for building a chaos-driven, morphing wavetable synth that would sound unlike anything I could buy off the shelf. I've just about filled my fourth row now (still small by some standards), but the only thing I feel compelled to add are a few more logic/sequencing circuits and the occasional quirky module that catches my attention, like the Gristleizer or KOMA Electronik's new Field Kit.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”