Blueface SC-5 // Classic VCA Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THE BLUEFACE SC-5 IS AVAILABLE!

Accurately modeled after the original 70s Blueface version of a classic and sought-after VCA compressor the SC-5 opens up a whole world of versatility: You‘re going for super gentle compression to sweeten the signal on your master buss? You‘re looking for a distorted, smashed-up sound on your drum buss? You want to tame lively and dynamic material? The Blueface SC-5 handles it all.

The full-blown set of parameters allows you to dial in just the right setting for your application. Yet it always maintains its own pleasant and characteristic tone.

The Blueface SC-5 will be available as a limited time offer for only $49 and a regular price of $79. The offer will be available until the 30th of April, 2017.

Please visit BlackRoosterAudio.com for further info.

FEATURES

AUTO GAIN COMPENSATION

The Blueface SC-5 is a fixed threshold compressor: More compression can be achieved by increasing the input gain. This will, of course, boost your signal's volume. Drag the input gain knob holding the right mouse button and the output gain will be adjusted so the perceived output level will be approximately the same.

AUTHENTIC CIRCUIT EMULATION

Our real time SPICE type component based circuit simulation approach allows to authentically capture the sound and feel of the analog counterpart in all nuances. Every crucial part of the circuit, including the custom VCA design, the detector circuit, the feedback compressor loop and the audio path have been faithfully modeled.

SSE2 OPTIMIZED CODE

DSP operations are pipelined using the SSE2 instruction set. This ensures highest possible performance operation despite very complex computations.

AUTO-ADJUSTED OVERSAMPLING FOR MAXIMUM AUDIO TRANSPARENCY

Aliasing artifacts are efficiently attenuated using a low latency linear phase Dolph-Chebyshev poly-phase design. The oversampling is auto-adjusted to your session‘s sample rate to save valuable CPU power while offering the most transparent sound possible.

HIGHDPI / RETINA SUPPORT

All our plug-Ins support high pixel density on Mac OSX and Windows to bring you the most enjoyable user experience on high DPI displays. Please refer to your manual to find whether your DAW is HighDPI capable if you‘re working on Windows.
Last edited by BlackRooster on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Rooster Audio
https://blackroosteraudio.com
Wuppertal, Germany

Hm... looks like the Ashly SC-50 to me.

Will definitely take a closer look...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Nice! I have to try it asap but the intro-price seems to make it a no-brainer - what's the catch? :D
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

This is an amazing, smooth sounding compressor and the best thing is that it sounds great on many things - drum bus, bass guitar, individual drums, even master bus, etc...

This is truly a future classic, based on Ashly SC-50 Blueface, I had no idea this compressor sounded this good.. :)
It's easy if you know how

Compyfox wrote:Hm... looks like the Ashly SC-50 to me.

Will definitely take a closer look...
You fox, you!
Black Rooster Audio
Wuppertal, Germany

He sussed it out in no time... :D

ich bin übrigens ab Freitagmittag kurz in Wuppertal - habt Ihr Euer Büro in Elberfeld? (vielleicht in der Hofaue oder so?)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:He sussed it out in no time... :D

ich bin übrigens ab Freitagmittag kurz in Wuppertal - habt Ihr Euer Büro in Elberfeld? (vielleicht in der Hofaue oder so?)
Elberfeld, ArrenbergCenter. Kaffee ist verfügbar :D
Black Rooster Audio
Wuppertal, Germany

klingt gut - da werde ich es mir wohl kaum nehmen lassen können, mal vorbeizuschauen, wenn ich darf - wie lange seid Ihr denn freitags üblicherweise so ungefähr da?

jens wrote:klingt gut - da werde ich es mir wohl kaum nehmen lassen können, mal vorbeizuschauen, wenn ich darf - wie lange seid Ihr denn freitags üblicherweise so ungefähr da?
Mindestens bis 15 Uhr.
Black Rooster Audio
Wuppertal, Germany

jens wrote:He sussed it out in no time... :D
Aw... come on. Wasn't that difficult (kind of obvious even)...
Searched for SC-5 Compressor in Google, sniffed out a photo, looked at the description... done.

This is how emulations should be like... similar name, easy to find it's hardware counterpart (and therefore manuals/reference material, etc). :tu:

Let the blind A/B testing commence (over on GS - pretty sure that this will happen one way or another). :hihi:

BlackRooster wrote:You fox, you!
Indeed... :lol:

EDIT:
The one thing that throws me off big time, with all UI's from Black Rooster, is the "Fisheye" look on the knobs, while the faceplate is flat. Can't the knobs be "spot on"? Meaning, not angle shifted? Would be more relaxing on the eyes IMO.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote: The one thing that throws me off big time, with all UI's from Black Rooster, is the "Fisheye" look on the knobs, while the faceplate is flat. Can't the knobs be "spot on"? Meaning, not angle shifted? Would be more relaxing on the eyes IMO.
I totally agree with that. This exaggerated perspective doesn't feel nor look good on a flat computer screen.

There's a limit to skeuomorphism, you know, and it starts when it gets in the way of usability itself.

RafaelMorgan wrote:
Compyfox wrote: The one thing that throws me off big time, with all UI's from Black Rooster, is the "Fisheye" look on the knobs, while the faceplate is flat. Can't the knobs be "spot on"? Meaning, not angle shifted? Would be more relaxing on the eyes IMO.
I totally agree with that. This exaggerated perspective doesn't feel nor look good on a flat computer screen.

There's a limit to skeuomorphism, you know, and it starts when it gets in the way of usability itself.
Never thought of this, as this perspective is giving it the "extra realistic touch" and noone was ever complaining, but we will definitely give it a shot for the future and do some A/B testing. Thanks for the input! Very much appreciated.
Black Rooster Audio
Wuppertal, Germany

Well, it can be realistic 3D and still "dead on".
Or at least decide on "one" angle.

Maybe do a quick render and ask for an open opinion on the UI's. This is what other devs did in here as well. My vote is for a more "straight" approach UI wise.

Compyfox wrote:Well, it can be realistic 3D and still "dead on".
Maybe do a quick render and ask for an open opinion on the UI's. This is what other devs did in here as well. My vote is for a more "straight" approach UI wise.
Agreed.
BlackRooster wrote: Never thought of this, as this perspective is giving it the "extra realistic touch" and noone was ever complaining, but we will definitely give it a shot for the future and do some A/B testing. Thanks for the input! Very much appreciated.
I'm not sure what 3D program you guys are using to model and render your GUIs, but this usually is simply a matter of increasing the lenses' focal lenght, from wide-angle, which is closer to human vision, to telephoto, which will make it flatter.

I guess you're using something around 22mm-55mm as focal length in your renders. Why don't you give it a shot at 100mm-150mm? I think it will look better.

RafaelMorgan wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Well, it can be realistic 3D and still "dead on".
Agreed.
BlackRooster wrote: Never thought of this, as this perspective is giving it the "extra realistic touch" and noone was ever complaining, but we will definitely give it a shot for the future and do some A/B testing. Thanks for the input! Very much appreciated.
I'm not sure what 3D program you guys are using to model and render your GUIs, but this usually is simply a matter of increasing the lenses' focal lenght, from wide-angle, which is closer to human vision, to telephoto, which will make it flatter.

I guess you're using something around 22mm-55mm as focal length in your renders. Why don't you give it a shot at 100mm-150mm? I think it will look better.
Hi Rafael,

Thank you for your words, but it is actually not a case of not knowing how to use our tools here, but a well-discussed decision we made in the team. We are totally aware of the capabilities of our 3D rendering software, but we thought of this as the best-looking option in terms of realism and authenticity. We take your complaints serious though and are constantly discussing you guys feedback internally and on all of our channels. For this specific case this might be an issue only to a few and from my personal perspective it's kind of a question of taste, that differs from you to me (which is totally ok). So for me it is not exactly a high priority issue, so to say, but please don't take that as an arrogant answer to your kind feedback, but as a friendly though different view of things. -- so again, we are considering some A/B testing and give it a shot - but please don't think we're not able to properly handle our tools :D
Black Rooster Audio
Wuppertal, Germany

Return to “Effects”