One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tasty tatsyn wrote:"i'm out space in soundcloud and moving operations as a whole to hearthis.at"
Me too (the former) and I'm noticing a lot of prolific artists make more SC accts and repost to their main one. I don't recall what the ToS says about it.
Medniex wrote:"Hi!
I'm a newbie here and this is my first attempt to make something entirely in DAW. I discovered about this place through u-he website"
Welcome Medniex! I enjoyed your track, very passionate, and I bet it'll do much better than my first entry! :lol: (which was actually with an excellent u-he synth I still love to use and often people complement the sound of it). Also, I really like your gif! That's inspiring. I didn't realize you could do that on the forum.
EnGee wrote:"Here is my first contribution to the Challenge"
Welcome EnGee! What a dramatic entrance! :clap: I enjoyed that.

IMO The rest of you should be more welcoming! As a side note, I know there are countless lurkers who would greatly benefit from trying their hand here at OSC and they could use a positive and inviting atmosphere :party:

Thank you 574X :) there are great pieces here really (as in the previous challenge). Very nice entries indeed :tu:

I have learnt a lot really especially in how to not ruin my mix :hihi: Well, I hope in coming challenges I will improve the sound gradually :)

Ty all for your comments on my track in soudcloud, bass is tammed now ;)
... and problably this is the last version for the contest!

Good luck everyone!

574X wrote:I really like your gif! That's inspiring. I didn't realize you could do that on the forum.
Thanks 574X! Had to show-off my animator side 8)

And Regarding to welcoming atmosphere it's totally fine in my opinion. Styles are really different so far - I think that is the most important part. I just didn't entered right away because I discovered this place really close at the end of the month and I had other deadlines to do. So not that much of a lurker issue.
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Hello everyone here is my entry! Hope you enjoy :)

I have done this track using NI Massive vsti instrument.
Instances are from init.

Tracks: 18x
Daw: Cubase Pro 8
Effects: Waves Maxx Bass *4, Waves EMO-Q4 *4, Waves H-Delay *1, NI Transient Master *2, OneKnob

Pumper *1, Nicky Romero's Kickstart *2, Cubase standard EQ *4, Sound Toys EchoBoy *3, Sound Toys

PanMan *3, Sound Toys EchoBoy JR *3, NI Replika *1

Master: Waves EQ 10 *1, Waves IMPusher *1, Waves L1+ Ultramaximizer

https://soundcloud.com/jkflashico/jkfla ... -is-coming

OK - I have taken on board comments so far ...

The flute player has changed his instrument for a more "mellow" sound - not quite so piercing! The keyboard player was told to turn off his chorus unit, and turn up a bit so we can hear his fancy playing! Not to be outdone, the flute player told the clarinetist to step back from the mic coz he was just a wee bit too loud!

Hopefully the track will sound a lot better now, and I hope you don't mind me posting up again (comments will still be there).

One less instance of Synth1 and VEQ4 now as well.

Also, tada DR is now 11 - hurray!

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctob ... nth-synth1

doctorbob wrote:OK - I have taken on board comments so far ...

The flute player has changed his instrument for a more "mellow" sound - not quite so piercing! The keyboard player was told to turn off his chorus unit, and turn up a bit so we can hear his fancy playing! Not to be outdone, the flute player told the clarinetist to step back from the mic coz he was just a wee bit too loud!

Hopefully the track will sound a lot better now, and I hope you don't mind me posting up again (comments will still be there).

One less instance of Synth1 and VEQ4 now as well.

Also, tada DR is now 11 - hurray!

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctob ... nth-synth1
Two words.

Love it!

Doc, you are such an inspiration to me. I can't believe you got those sounds out of Synth1. Amazing.

wagtunes wrote:Two words.

Love it!

Doc, you are such an inspiration to me. I can't believe you got those sounds out of Synth1. Amazing.
Thanks Steven,

So glad you liked it - thought you might. Been meaning to do a pretty formal jazz one for a while - got on top of this one quite quickly, so am feeling happy with how it sounds. Might take the keyboards back a bit, maybe, don't want to lose the "twiddly bits" though, so it's a fine line now on how loud they are in the mix. Any thoughts?

... and yeah, Synth1 is still a very capable VSTi, quite a few in this challenge already - look back at my previous Synth1 entries - so VERY different, but sound well (in my opinion, of course!!).

Cheers,

dB

doctorbob wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Two words.

Love it!

Thanks Steven,

So glad you liked it - thought you might. Been meaning to do a pretty formal jazz one for a while - got on top of this one quite quickly, so am feeling happy with how it sounds. Might take the keyboards back a bit, maybe, don't want to lose the "twiddly bits" though, so it's a fine line now on how loud they are in the mix. Any thoughts?

... and yeah, Synth1 is still a very capable VSTi, quite a few in this challenge already - look back at my previous Synth1 entries - so VERY different, but sound well (in my opinion, of course!!).

Cheers,

dB
I wouldn't touch it but you can't go by me because, well, you know. LOL.

Hope this one wins you another prize. Imagine that, against a bunch of paid synths, a Synth1 sneaks into the top 5. Wouldn't that be a real kick in the pants.

wagtunes wrote:Imagine that, against a bunch of paid synths, a Synth1 sneaks into the top 5. Wouldn't that be a real kick in the pants.
Yeah imagine! I mean, where could one find examples of mind blowing music being made with a free synth? :roll:

Best of luck dBob 8)

wagtunes wrote: I wouldn't touch it but you can't go by me because, well, you know. LOL.

Hope this one wins you another prize. Imagine that, against a bunch of paid synths, a Synth1 sneaks into the top 5. Wouldn't that be a real kick in the pants.
OK, I'll leave it for a few days, and then listen again with "new ears" - so to speak - hehe - soon be 70 years old, but they are still working quite well, but doing FOH mixing many moons ago has taken a bit of toll with my HF's. :dog:

Last time I made the top 5 was with my barbershop ditty - usually end up in the middle though, which is probably where this meagre effort will go. But, you never know how people will vote, and more importantly, what hits their "musical nerve" in the sweet spot! :hihi:

I was asked to go for a jazz track a few times now - so I have obliged - if it does well, I just might do another. I do like jazz - YEAH! It just took a little time to "tame" those wild musicians when doing their freeform stuff - but to be fair, it did help "dial in" the right sounds with Synth1, so that track was part of this journey. I almost thought about making it a "front-end" to this track, and morph from one to the other, but thought people might "turn off" before getting to the "good stuff" - hehe! :roll:

@H-Man - yeah, where on earth else other than OSc would you find mindblowingly good music made with just one synth - there have been many "epic" tunes come out of the most unexpected VSTi's - to be fair, not mine - even though this is my 39th in a row - not missed one since I "discovered" this place. :tu:

Cheers all, and good luck as always. :tu:

dB

Speaking of Synth1, here is what I'd enter with.
But, according to the rules, "Cover tracks are not permitted." :roll:

https://soundcloud.com/slava-fiks/d-sho ... phony-no-8
Sorry for shameless self-promotion.

sfiks wrote: ...But, according to the rules, "Cover tracks are not permitted." :roll:
Excellent work. :clap: I'm sure Dmitri would have been impressed. :tu: I met him once at the British premiere of his thirteenth quartet in 1972. A quite unassuming man, quite humble in fact. But, what a composer!!!

Just shows that you don't *have* to have the most expensive, all singing, all dancing synth to make great tracks. If only we could all compose like that though ... sigh ... :roll:

dB
Last edited by doctorbob on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

https://soundcloud.com/zerothefox/zerof ... ds-osc-mix

This will be my only entry for this month. Discount the other one.

FL Studio 12

19x Sytrus
6x Maximus
12x Fruity Parametric EQ2
4x Fruity Convolver
2x Fruity Delay Bank
It's very tasty, I swear!

sorry - hit quote not edit!! Bah!

Return to “Instruments”