PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a true peak limiter.

Any recommendations comparable to Flux?

I just bought the Kazrog KClip 2 Pro.

Suitable for some purposes.
Two of my favourites:

Ozone 7 Adv. Maximizer IRC IV
Ableton Live (stock) Limiter

Everything depends on the purpose and the material. FF Pro-L is the one I use nowdays rarely, but its awarall quality is good, too.
KClip downside is the heavy CPU use.

There's more

https://www.saintpid.se/en/isp-true-peak-limiters-test/

ToneBoosters Barricade is exceptional and a bargain at the price.
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-barricade-v4/

v3 is also still available at a lower price. A comparison is on the v4 page.

There's also a Magware version with Computer Music.
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-barricade-cm/
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

If you want the Rolls Royce option then Limitless :)

MogwaiBoy wrote:If you want the Rolls Royce option then Limitless :)
Did you check the link above. Limitless did not do very well on that test.

Harry_HH wrote:
Did you check the link above. Limitless did not do very well on that test.
I can confirm this. I use it in broadcast mix context and I still have overshoots from time to time...hope for a better update soon.

So are the good ones the ones in green? Is a high or low number better?

aMUSEd wrote:So are the good ones the ones in green? Is a high or low number better?
Green/low is good, red/high is bad.

Good basic stuff for those consider limiter:
not only newbies need time to time reminding of these fundaments, but we all.
Let the man speak:

https://youtu.be/PT1kUE4ns7I

Are all of those true peak limiters? Or full scale?

djmino02 wrote:Are all of those true peak limiters? Or full scale?
If you look the link of the test you see a column for each tested limiter which says if its a true peak limiter or not.

How subjective this is. Cause to me a Rolls Royce is a bulky cumbersome outdated vehicle suited for some old rich farts and people full of themselves. I rather go with a classic 911…

Well, I'm not surprised that Slate FXG didn't do well, at all. Slate products are generally very overrated and overpriced, for that matter. In this test even freeware Liniter nr.6 by VladG tramped it. :hihi: That one is obviously the one to use if you're on a budget, or Toneboosters Barricade. I've always felt that one's really good and it's got great metering for those who care about dynamics and standards. :tu:

I'm not surprised with how well Voxengo Elephant did, though. Aleksey's plugins have always been top of the line. Far more so than people generally think. The man is a heavy weight audio scientist. :tu:

What I am surprised a bit is how badly LVC-audio limiter did. I always thought of their plugins as extremely good. But it's probably the freeware version. Shame they didn't test the payware one.

However, if you're into mixing and mastering dynamic music and using the limiter just to shave off a couple of dB of peaks, you shouldn't worry about this that much. Only if you're making squares with 3dB of dynamics that you call "well mastered". :hihi:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:

What I am surprised a bit is how badly LVC-audio limiter did. I always thought of their plugins as extremely good. But it's probably the freeware version. Shame they didn't test the payware one.
I am curious about how they tested Limited-Z. Even with the free version, there would be large differences (well, +/- a dB differences) depending on the mode that was selected.

The truth is that ISP can be a huge problem if you squash the crap out of something. Oversampling can help the limiter find true peaks, but downsampling a heavily compressed track can reintroduce ISPs. I guess the best solution is to know your limiter well, and monitor the output with something that can detect ISPs.

When you are interpreting the test results, you have to take into account that in that spesific test they have evaluated only one dimension of the limiter.

Of course that dimension, i.e. how well the plugin holds the ceiling when overloaded, is very essential to the limiter.

But its not the only one. Other important features are e.g. the sound, is there any artifacts, the transparency, the CPU intensity.

In addition that, you should choose you tool according to the task: e.g. I like very much on the Ableton Live stock limiter for protecting my ears for the sound peaks, its very easy to use, transparent and light for the CPU, which is important in mixing.
The Live limiter did not well in that test but its very useful for certain purposes.

You should try each limiter yourself to know its up- and downsides. The "goodness" is not one-dimensional - its not how big it is but how you use it.
Last edited by Harry_HH on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”