Airwindows Loud: AU, Mac and PC VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6XmCAWLO4

TL:DW; Distortion and demolition of air molecules, modeled.

Loud

Here's something rather special. What if you could distort like air molecules distort?

I studied recordings of competitive tractor pulls, of Space Shuttle launches, various recordings that represented the way air can be mangled and break apart. The result is Loud… a step into a much louder world. It's a distortion that can be slammed to unthinkable 'heart of a supernova' dB levels, but can also be subtly introduced to give the sonic coloration of a big LOUD noise in open air. Makes for a very interesting 'glue' at zero boost!

Here's how it's done: rather than apply a consistent transfer function like a normal distortion, Loud knows whether you're compressing the air, or letting it rebound. And if it's snapping back, it can do it with the speed of lightning, but if it's compressing, the air can be squished to practically solid, increasing heat. This extreme nonlinearity is why Loud sounds the way it does. It can sit on a whole mix to give it scope and authority, or it can be pushed harder on individual tracks like guitars and drums to amp up the ferocity.

Remember, if you've got it totally fuzzing out, you are probably already beyond any sound level achievable by human means. The completely fried sound of cranked-up Loud is not meant to seem like acoustic phenomena as we know it. It turns up that loud because I grew up reading Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and because in no other way can you accurately emulate a Disaster Area concert. :D

If you like me inventing things like this, support my Patreon. It's over the funding goal of $600, meaning that I will start to release the Kagi for-pay plugins, one a month, starting with Iron Oxide 5 (the newest version, never seen before!). But there are other goals to reach, too: at $800 I will begin open sourcing these plugins under the MIT license, and at $1000 I will release two of the Kagi plugins a month—twice as fast! Sky's basically the limit. And for today, as a token of good will, I bring you the loudest noise in the universe :D

Thanks again for your generosity and giving us another free lovely plugin!

Do you have any delay vsts? Your homepage is tl;dr. Why so many plugins LOL.

Thanks Chris!

I believe I found a bug with the Mac VST version (in Live 9, 64bit). When inserted, it only plays the left channel (right is muted). It is consequent however in that the output slider is labelled "Output L" :)
The AU version works as expected!

BDeep wrote:Thanks Chris!

I believe I found a bug with the Mac VST version (in Live 9, 64bit). When inserted, it only plays the left channel (right is muted). It is consequent however in that the output slider is labelled "Output L" :)
:o

The plugin can't do that. Are you kidding or is that a real thing? The same Mac VST plays both channels in TwistedWave, and it's coded to do that, and the control affects both channels. The name means 'Output Level', as it is on the AU.

For that to happen, Ableton Live would have to be reading the name of the slider, seeing that it says 'Output L' and crops the 'evel', and then muting the right channel on its own initiative when the plugin doesn't. That would be really startlingly weird when the plugin doesn't actually do that (if I named it Output R, would it play only the right channel? What if I called the slider 'Output Revel'?

If it does this, is it happening in PC Ableton Live too? This is, shall we say, a startling thing to learn about one of the platforms I support. It is fixable, but I'd like confirmation because it seems so weird and it's not happening inside the plugin. Seriously, Output L? Tells Live to mute the right channel? :o

sfxsound3 wrote:Do you have any delay vsts? Your homepage is tl;dr. Why so many plugins LOL.
Since the new ones are all free VSTs, you might find it worth the effort since you get free stuff :D

Or you can just download the zip of all the VST-related ones to date.

Mind you, if you do that, it's still 'too many plugins LOL' :D

Yes, it's mind-boggling. You seem to concentrate on compression and distortion plugins. And weird and utility stuff. But delays? You need to do some of that too, IMHO.... Come on, man, show some versatility LOL.

Back on topic, currently test driving Loud!
An instance of Microtonic playing a basic loop - going through presets; and the Loud boost parameter modulated by a slow random LFO in the 0.00 - 0.33 range.

Very :-o impressed!

jinxtigr wrote:
BDeep wrote:Thanks Chris!

:o

The plugin can't do that. Are you kidding or is that a real thing? The same Mac VST plays both channels in TwistedWave, and it's coded to do that, and the control affects both channels. The name means 'Output Level', as it is on the AU.

For that to happen, Ableton Live would have to be reading the name of the slider, seeing that it says 'Output L' and crops the 'evel', and then muting the right channel on its own initiative when the plugin doesn't. That would be really startlingly weird when the plugin doesn't actually do that (if I named it Output R, would it play only the right channel? What if I called the slider 'Output Revel'?

If it does this, is it happening in PC Ableton Live too? This is, shall we say, a startling thing to learn about one of the platforms I support. It is fixable, but I'd like confirmation because it seems so weird and it's not happening inside the plugin. Seriously, Output L? Tells Live to mute the right channel? :o
No I'm not kidding, when I insert Loud (VST) on a channel, it mutes the right channel. Whether this has anything to do with truncating of the label, I have no idea. On the other hand, it doesn't truncate the same label of the AU version.

Also, it doesn't make sense that it would truncate the label, as another VST with a parameter labelled "Output Level" has that exact label displayed in full.

BDeep wrote:No I'm not kidding, when I insert Loud (VST) on a channel, it mutes the right channel. Whether this has anything to do with truncating of the label, I have no idea. On the other hand, it doesn't truncate the same label of the AU version.

Also, it doesn't make sense that it would truncate the label, as another VST with a parameter labelled "Output Level" has that exact label displayed in full.
Weirder and weirder. My plugin is telling the host the name is 'Output Level', but cropped by a function in the VST library that looks like it was about the host saying how many letters it could have. This means you have to lie to the host or just dump more letters in? I wonder how that breaks in other hosts.

This is utterly weird. I did some further experimenting (I only inserted/deleted it a few times on one track). It appears that sometimes when inserted, it behaves as it should (ie, both channels going through), sometimes it mutes the right channel, and sometimes the left channel. I wish I could see a pattern here, but I don't, it seems completely random. I thought maybe levels that were too hot could cause it, but when I did that intentionally, it made no difference.

BDeep wrote:This is utterly weird. I did some further experimenting (I only inserted/deleted it a few times on one track). It appears that sometimes when inserted, it behaves as it should (ie, both channels going through), sometimes it mutes the right channel, and sometimes the left channel. I wish I could see a pattern here, but I don't, it seems completely random. I thought maybe levels that were too hot could cause it, but when I did that intentionally, it made no difference.
Keep me posted because that's very strange. I know from its behavior in less interesting DAWs that it does actually work: but I'm real interested in what Live is doing.

I'm also getting the occasional leftist output here as well. If I drop Loud onto a track it will randomly work in stereo or left-only. I usually have to restart Live and try again to get a different outcome.

I guess one quick thing to try would be to rename the level parameter to "Out Level" and see if that one change alone is enough to fix it?
Image Image Image Image

No, I'm pretty sure the label is unrelated. It was a funny oddity I saw. But I also had the result reversed (i.e. Only right playing).
Using OS X too?

Works fine in Reaper here. Output parameter says Output L. This should be improved, IMHO, to read full name. No truncation please!

Return to “Effects”