One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.

This is my second participation.
First one was #91 I believe and I had a blast.
Learned quite a lot and met many music lovers.
Decided to do it again. :D

[ DAW - Reaper v5.40 ]
[ Synth - Serum x 30 ]

[ Internal Effects ]
[ ReaEQ x 4 Distortion x 1 Saturation x 1 ReaComp x 2 Event Horizon Limiter/Clipper x 7 ]

[ External Effects ]
[ LiquidSonics Reverberate 2 x 4 Klanghelm MJUC x 1 Xfer OTT x 3 Voxengo SPAN x 1
Tek'it Audio MScontrol x 2 ]

https://soundcloud.com/user-897477487/o ... allenge-98
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Zero Ring wrote:By all means don't reference any of the presets in the synth and make your judgement. Go online to YouTube and checkout some Dubstep bass tutorials to see what FM8 can actually do.
I'm already well aware of what it can do and I even made a free dubstep/neuro preset pack for it some time ago. I'm just not a dubstep producer so I won't create a track, but it would be cool to hear a one synth challenge dubstep track with FM8 (considering its vast flexibilities).

maybe I'll rework this hard dance OB-Xd track which I never entered before since I had used a 3rd party reverb, diffusion and MFlanger on the melodic sound

https://clyp.it/mwixg0kk

something like 22x OB-Xd with Flanger, EQ, Reverb, Diffusion, Compressor

OB-Xd seems to be so terribly slow to load presets in Reaper though (and I'm using the latest version), anyone else have that issue?

phace wrote:
OB-Xd seems to be so terribly slow to load presets in Reaper though (and I'm using the latest version), anyone else have that issue?
it loads instantly for me. maybe audio interface? or operating system?
I dunno.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Kraftraum came by to visit me on my soundcloud page a couple of weeks ago and joked that I should come back to the OSC (having been participating recently in the KVR Music Cafe, because I'm using mainly hardware at the moment). Well I happened to have a look and saw that it was an 'any synth' month, so I couldn't resist!

I chose Reaktor Blocks Wired, the free one. 14 instances. This was my first time with it (had been wanting to check it out for a while).

Fx from Ableton Live 9 (EQ, Compressor, Glue Compressor, Reverb, Delay, Limiter), plus Frontier, Replika, Sigmund, Toraverb, Camel Phat, and Ozone 6.

https://soundcloud.com/bluerobotmusic/b ... -particles

Just thinking again about how I will vote ... with a variety of paid synths, the details of which I know nothing, then I will not be able to judge the skill required in the sound design - can't tell whether it's easy or hard to make sound "xyz" with synth "abc".

So, I am thinking it's going to be based on composition and mixing and a touch of personal preference for the genre.

Anyone else have thoughts?

dB

doctorbob wrote:Just thinking again about how I will vote ... with a variety of paid synths, the details of which I know nothing, then I will not be able to judge the skill required in the sound design - can't tell whether it's easy or hard to make sound "xyz" with synth "abc".

So, I am thinking it's going to be based on composition and mixing and a touch of personal preference for the genre.

dB
Only this. Over 150 tracks and I'm dropping out. LOL.

3lu5iv3 wrote:
phace wrote:
I dunno.
It just seems to be a problem with Reaper because I don't have this problem using the synth in FL
- tried rebuilding reaper-vstplugins64 configuration file
- unticked "Save VST configuration as bank"

still no luck, it lags like hell any time I create an instance or load a preset. It takes 8 seconds to load a preset

wagtunes wrote: Only this. Over 150 tracks and I'm dropping out. LOL.
If Z' and Jasinski drop tracks in the next 2 days, then ... well, it's not really about winning eh? - hehe - :hihi:
dB

doctorbob wrote:Just thinking again about how I will vote ... with a variety of paid synths, the details of which I know nothing, then I will not be able to judge the skill required in the sound design - can't tell whether it's easy or hard to make sound "xyz" with synth "abc".

dB
That's a good point. But if someone says in their description that they created all (or most) of the sounds themselves I would be likely to give them some credit for that. I tend to focus more on composition/arrangement creativity and production than sound design in general.

ontrackp wrote: I tend to focus more on composition/arrangement creativity and production than sound design in general.
Me too in general, but when we are all working with the same synth sometimes you cannot believe how good some people are at making amazing sounds, and therefore they do get credit for that from me. This time we just don't know if synth "abc" is super good at e.g. percussion, but if it is, then the focus of how good the percussion is would have to be on the arrangement/playing of said percussion kit rather than on how good the sounds were - even if programmed up from INIT.

I still think this time round it really will *have* to be as I have said above - at least I am marking everyone on a level playing field - if you see what I mean.

dB

P.S. I wonder who will come out of the woodwork for this challenege though - time will tell eh?

bh9090 wrote:Entry:

https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/saanno ... c98-zebra2

Ableton Live 9 - 35 Instances of Zebra2

Effects:

DAW: EQ8, Compressor, Saturator, AutoPan, AutoFilter, Redux, Overdrive, Glue Compressor, Convolution Reverb

3rd Party: Soundtoys EchoBoy, Soundtoys Decapitator, FF Pro-Q, FF Pro-C , FF Pro-L, Valhalla Room, FF Saturn, FF Timeless2 (FF = FabFilter)
I don't do the contests and don't vote both due to time restrictions. But, I felt the need to just say that this is just a really good tune. Makes you feel happy. Not enough of that in the music world. 70s vibe almost. Thanks for writing it.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

phace wrote:
3lu5iv3 wrote:
phace wrote:
I dunno.
It just seems to be a problem with Reaper because I don't have this problem using the synth in FL

still no luck, it lags like hell any time I create an instance or load a preset. It takes 8 seconds to load a preset
Did you uninstall Reaper and then reinstall it?
It might solve your problem.
8 seconds? That's preposterous!
Which OS are you using?
SoundCloud

3lu5iv3 wrote:
phace wrote:
3lu5iv3 wrote:
phace wrote:
I dunno.

Did you uninstall Reaper and then reinstall it?
It might solve your problem.
8 seconds? That's preposterous!
Which OS are you using?
well recently I installed the latest reaper update, but on older versions it was the same :neutral: using Windows 7 64bit SP1 ....I loved OB-Xd, and yes 8 seconds makes me want to like smash something.. I won't use it anymore I guess. I can't go back to FL ever since I got into reaper :hyper:

phace wrote:
phace wrote:
May have a solution for you.

You probably have a large number of presets saved as in Reapers native RPL format.

It sounds like you are knowledgeable but I will post long form in the event that it will help some one less so.

Reaper has a built in preset manager for using with VSTis with poor or no preset browser. As this the number of presets grows so does the size of the file. Reaper reads this file everytime it opens the GUI to the plugin or a preset is changed. This is what causes a delay in most cases.

Solution 1. Export each preset you have saved into the FXP format. Close Reaper. Then locate the Preset folder inside your Reaper directory. Find the file with OBXD ( in this case ) in the name copy it to a sfe location out side this folder then delete it. ( Reaper will create a new one the first time you open OBXD) Reopen Reaper. Now when you open OBXD you have a clean slate. You can now import the FXP presets as you wish. This solution take longer but is more permanent.

Solution 2. export your presets as an RPL library file into a location of your choice. Then as above delete the OBXD configuration file in the preset folder inside the Reaper directory. This option allows you to carry on creating new presets for your task at hand. I recommend that if you think it will be more than 50 you export each as a FXP as you go. Then export as a FXB when your done. You can always import your old RPL preset library but when you do the delay will return.

I hope this helped in some way. Let us know.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Instruments”