Aroma

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aroma

[quote="Armagibbon"]Neat plug but I guess I got a billion like it. Saturation here there and everywhere.

But it doesn't like my setup much. Pretty crashy at high bitrates and low buffer settings. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but shit shouldn't crash at suboptimal settings. Can't have confidence in the damn thing if it's just gonna leave the building and take the band with it whenever it wants.

Could just be the demo version. But that leaves about as good an impression as I do on singles night.[/quote]

please let me know how Aroma crashed in which DAW.
If you're working on Mac the OSX crash report would be very helpful.
Thanks!

ThomasR wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:What makes it different from other multiband saturators? I'm curious about the way each section (ie: Salt) can have 4 controls of varying percentages... what do they control? Is each one a set band?
Hi, I'm Thomas the developer who wrote this plug-in.

The most important difference: Aroma isn't a "multiband saturator"
It's a combination of nonlinearities in a row like the HEDD 192.

We've added a control to vary the sound of each saturator to this concept. Resulting in 2 knobs for intensity and "flavour".
For M/S processing you need all the controls twice.
Hi Thomas. Thanks for explaining more about Aroma.I am really enjoying using the plugin, especially now that I don't have the demo voice nagging me(actually I kind of miss her :hihi: ). I am gradually getting more of a handle on the controls and finding the sweet spots.I have been reading about the HEDD 192, definitely out of my price range :o
Aroma works just fine for me. I can honestly say that since I have been using the full version, I have not had one single crash.It has been working sweet as a nut here using Logic Pro X and latest Sierra version.

ThomasR wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Neat plug but I guess I got a billion like it. Saturation here there and everywhere.

But it doesn't like my setup much. Pretty crashy at high bitrates and low buffer settings. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but shit shouldn't crash at suboptimal settings. Can't have confidence in the damn thing if it's just gonna leave the building and take the band with it whenever it wants.

Could just be the demo version. But that leaves about as good an impression as I do on singles night.

please let me know how Aroma crashed in which DAW.
If you're working on Mac the OSX crash report would be very helpful.
Thanks!
Win7x64 cubase 9.0.20 with lynx asio, model aes16e.
Turns out it's also crashing with mud standards on 44.1k and 512 samples.
Happens after the 3 or 4th demo noise notification.
No crash log comes outta cubase, aroma hangs the application after a time of just being loaded in there and windows tries killing it.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Lazylefteye wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Perhaps the developer should have googled the definition of aroma before naming his plug :shrug:
Spice may have been more apt. It's only a name though. I like what it does, that's far more important :)
Actually, only two of them could be seen as a spice :shrug:

You might think it's only a name, but clearly the developer is trying to make these labels evocative of a sound/aroma. Salt and pepper do not suggest anything I would wan't to add to a sound, though sugar and chili do.

It's not about semantics, or being pedantic for the sake of it. It's just a shame that the developer didn't actually choose from a wide variety of aromatics that might have better aligned with the sounds, as they do with flavours in various recipes
not sure what you are on about - there's only four (or five) tastes - salty, sweet, sour, bitter (and perhaps umami) and all other tastes are a variation of these. "spicy" (as in "hot" or however else you might be able to qualify that more precisely in English) is not a taste, it's a different kind of aensation - it's a burning sensation that doesn't really happen on the tongue (or at the very least not at the taste receptors). Thus both salt and sugar are basic aromas, while neither chily nor pepper are. Pepper though has a lot of taste, while chilies are mainly "spicy" (and thus do not really add much aroma).
All four of these are standard ingredient though for most cuisines all over the world.

So I don't have a clue what on earth your point might be and my assumption is neither do you. I am even inclined to say perhaps you ought have looked into the topic a bit more thoroughly yourself before making that post. It's safe to say though that a kittchen isn't exactly a natural habitat of yours. :razz:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:
Lazylefteye wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Perhaps the developer should have googled the definition of aroma before naming his plug :shrug:
Spice may have been more apt. It's only a name though. I like what it does, that's far more important :)

You might think it's only a name, but clearly the developer is trying to make these labels evocative of a sound/aroma. Salt and pepper do not suggest anything I would wan't to add to a sound, though sugar and chili do.

It's not about semantics, or being pedantic for the sake of it. It's just a shame that the developer didn't actually choose from a wide variety of aromatics that might have better aligned with the sounds, as they do with flavours in various recipes
not sure what you are on about - there's only four (or five) tastes - salty, sweet, sour, bitter (and perhaps umami) and all other tastes are a variation of these. "spicy" (as in "hot" or however else you might be able to qualify that more precisely in English) is not a taste, it's a different kind of aensation - it's a burning sensation that doesn't really happen on the tongue (or at the very least not at the taste receptors). Thus both salt and sugar are basic aromas, while neither chily nor pepper are. Pepper though has a lot of taste, while chilies are mainly "spicy" (and thus do not really add much aroma).
All four of these are standard ingredient though for most cuisines all over the world.

So I don't have a clue what on earth your point might be and my assumption is neither do you. I am even inclined to say perhaps you ought have looked into the topic a bit more thoroughly yourself before making that post. It's safe to say though that a kittchen isn't exactly a natural habitat of yours. :razz:
Imagine how this post would look if you also weren't conflating taste with aroma :tu:
Jens wrote:It's safe to say though that a kittchen isn't exactly a natural habitat of yours. :razz:
You're probably right. Perhaps if I swap out my use of aromatic vegetables, herbs and spices for salt, pepper and sugar, your palate would feel a little more at home :shrug:

Crash issue got fixed damn fast and without much info to go on. These guys know their stuff.
I'd have posted about it sooner but I'm lazy with this kvr inbox.

Aroma version 1.1.1 has been released which fixes all the bugs reported here:
* Aroma AU and VST3 crashed on some computers when the knobs where moved.
* VST3 crashed instantly in Cakewalk Sonar.

Direct links to the installers:
http://www.ismism.de/Aroma/Aroma_OSX_1.1.1.zip
http://www.ismism.de/Aroma/Aroma_Windows_1.1.1.zip

This thing is a monster, congrats to the devs and I hope more people notice it! Well, the competitive/selfish part of me doesn't, but anyhow...
Last edited by Hez on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lazylefteye wrote:

You're overthinking it.
It's just a name.
I highly doubt the developer is trying to evoke the sound of salt. :hihi:

Russell Grand wrote:You're overthinking it.
Maybe you are under-thinking it :shrug:

Hez wrote:This thing is a monster, congrats to the devs and I hope more people notice it! Well, the competitive/selfish part of me doesn't, but anyhow...
I agree a very underrated plugin. Really glad I bought it :)

I am a registered user of a few ISM plugins . . . superior audio tools that, sadly, fly under the radar. I haven't used Aroma yet (medical issues), but I am confident it will deliver as promised. I'm a big fan of the HEDD 192 . . . I realize Aroma is not an emulation, but if it shares some of the characteristics that would be groovy.

Return to “Effects”