New mode for note editor?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am right now playing with Ableton's great browser music learning tool, and this subpage reminded me of something that I have been wanting to see implemented in a DAW for some time:
https://learningmusic.ableton.com/notes ... cales.html

I mean, the ability to confine the piano roll view to just a certain set of notes.

I am having great fun drawing different repetitive, symmetrical geometrical shapes and playing around with the root key and modes.

Using the chromatic note editor drawing such clusters is really slow and requires concentration, when I need to account for the notes that can't be used at all. They also affect how the patterns look visually, which goes on to affect what I draw.

Now we can of course theoretically use the drum editing mode, and load individual sample onto the keys needed, but frankly that is just an insane amount of work.

You could move the midi notes outside the loop & fold,save a few scales & load when needed

Ah, that's a very good idea! I was vaguely aware that the fold option is there, but it didn't occur to me when I was thinking about this.

Here is a few scales I have saved like that in .bwclip format,mostly minor & some exotic ones

https://app.box.com/s/vagnk3n07wnj44kc5bqyq76pa1zsrjo0

Ah, I just now realized, you don't even need to place the notes outside the loop, if you right click on the note names in drum view, you can select which notes are shown by hand.

Altough this is not so useful than I thought, since when you close and re-open the clip, all unused notes are removed from the selection of notes. So you need to keep that scale there somewhere on the clip.

There's another way to do this with a drum machine on the track, which I find more practical.

viewtopic.php?f=259&t=446739&start=105#p6575032

Very clever, thanks!

Thanks ere2learn and svervs. Very useful!

Return to “Bitwig”