Dexed DX7 Sound Quality Problems

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I've dexed DX7 in my minihost & when I play chords (or very fast notes) I've sometimes problems with clicks in the sound. Esp. with the dexed v1.0 black winnie EPs for example. I've a fast laptop with xeon processor, 16Gb ram, SSD, avid Mbox, 96kHz. I've also tried to regulate down the volume t0o prevent clipping, but no change.

Does anyone know this problem? I love this Dexed so much, so many great sounds.

Tom

one solution I've found: Adjust the resolution in Dexed at "PARM" to 24bit.

And how is the latency set? You didn't mention this.

I've it at 128samples, 1.3ms. I've played with this value, but I think, it's not the reason for the clicks.

128 samples at 96kHz? Imho it's too little. I'd expect cracks at these settings. Set it like 4 times bigger and try again.

Kumi_27 wrote:128 samples at 96kHz? Imho it's too little.
That depends on the CPU and audio interface, really. Xeon should be able to handle that easily.

"Should" is the keyword.
Question is, if the overall system speed is fast enough. There is more than CPU to this.
I've seen many quite slow "fast" computers.

I've an Lenovo Think pad P50. Recommended on pro Pro Tools website. It's only for Sound, no much other programms.

Working from memory here but when auditioning various patches in the past I noticed I'd get clicks in some if I was using one of the dexed engines. Can't remember if it was the old or new, but I'm thinking old. Have you tried picking a different sound engine?
Image Image Image Image

Sound engine: do you mean: Mark 2, 8 bit or 24bit? Yes that how I've "solved" the problem: I've adjusted 24 bit.

That is CPU overload I think. You need a more powerful computer or to better optimize the performance of the one you're using. (Dexed works great for me!)

faster Computer :-) it's quite fast, as I've said: esp. recommended by Pro Tools for sound. Price was 2500.- Euro. 1 year ago, price was 3000-4000.- Euro.

It can be due to things like the chipset used for the serial interface to the audio interface, or background processes like servers, antivirus software, chat software, and things like that. As pointed out above, sometimes otherwise powerful computers can make poor DAWs for these reasons. First thing to try is killing every background process you don't absolutely need.

Is it only Dexed you have problems with? Can you reproduce the problem with other plugins or combination of plugins that show similar performance load as Dexed does?

Another thing. If you mixdown your track to a wav file does the clicking go away? If it's still there thenit's not performance. (Could it be clipping?)

like I've said: Laptop is specially recommended by protools for their stuff, also for their soundcard: Mbox. When I adjust to 24bit it works, when I go down to mark 2 resolution I've clicks. I've almost no other programs on the laptop... I think it's not possible that it's the power of the computer, cause I think, in that case, the clicks should get more when I go up to 24bit (?) I need Dexed in life mode with minihost, that I control with my xylosynth. Perhaps it's also minhost that produces the clicks in combin. with dexed. I've no other program where I'm able to use Dexed.

I'm quite puzzle by this; Mark I engine is actually less CPU intensive, do you have an explicit dx7 program that I can test on my side ? and if you have a audio example with it, it might help me understand the issue.

Return to “Instruments”