Dexed DX7 Sound Quality Problems

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

asb2m10 wrote:I'm quite puzzle by this; Mark I engine is actually less CPU intensive, do you have an explicit dx7 program that I can test on my side ? and if you have a audio example with it, it might help me understand the issue.
dont sweat it. its something jacked on his end, no problems whatsoever here on my good ol'
HP Elitebook core2 3ghz 3gb winxpSP3 notebook.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I don't think it's a question of CPU intensity, there may be bugs with the Mark I engine.

I loaded up Dexed in Live (and Logic to rule out a DAW issue) and tried a few patches from the cart I had loaded and picked out three patches where there are clicks with the Mark I engine that are not present with the Modern 24-bit one.

PHAROH and ENCOUNTERS both click at the beginning of the note with the Mark I engine. OB GenvivY will click when playing successive notes.

I've attached the cart with the presets so you can try them there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image

TomTom79 wrote:like I've said: Laptop is specially recommended by protools for their stuff, also for their soundcard: Mbox. When I adjust to 24bit it works, when I go down to mark 2 resolution I've clicks. I've almost no other programs on the laptop... I think it's not possible that it's the power of the computer, cause I think, in that case, the clicks should get more when I go up to 24bit (?) I need Dexed in life mode with minihost, that I control with my xylosynth. Perhaps it's also minhost that produces the clicks in combin. with dexed. I've no other program where I'm able to use Dexed.
Try it in another DAW software? Reaper is excellent and 1 month demo is free. http://reaper.fm

And you didn't mention if you had any background processes running you can do without? (Ctrl-Alt-Del, Task Manager, Processes. Kill, kill, kill! :) I always do this before any serious DAW session.)

I'm getting the same clicks with Mark I as well, and even stronger clicks with OPL, making it unusable to me for anything but very long attacks like the FILTER-SWP patch. I've tried in Reaper and Renoise, with two different interfaces and no unnecessary background processes (two different computers as well). I would love to figure out the issue, as Mark I and OPL is the engines i'm most interested in, and Dexed is brilliant (thanks for your work!).

CPU shouldn't be a problem as i have no such issues with any other synth, even much hungrier ones.

So it's only sounds with fast attacks? Sounds like a clipping issue then.

TomTom79 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:22 am one solution I've found: Adjust the resolution in Dexed at "PARM" to 24bit.
I know this thread is a zombie, but I wanted to thank you for this, TomTom. I've desperately wanted to use Dexed for a while now, but I wrote it off because of those glitchy noises, figuring they were the price of a free FM synth. I guess I should have googled a little harder in 2017; your solution did the trick for me. :hihi:

Thanks to you and everyone who contributes here.

The problem is TomTom 79 hasn't been to KVR since September of 2019. So your thanks may go unnoticed.

I was reading posts on page one and saw him bragging about having a Xeon processor and thought that's kind of out dated then I saw the post was from 2017. :dog:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”