Xeon vs i7/i9...which CPU when?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jax Pok wrote:The thing that worries me about too many cores is from the others produced the Mhz gets lower as they add more cores. In Ableton live each track is given its own core to run on some tracks will hardly tax the core while others the core will struggle. The trick is buying a CPU with more cores + each core is far more powerful than any in the CPU you have now.
MHz doesn't really mean anything usefull on modern CPUs.
You can compare CPUs with same architecture, but comparing MHz of different CPU architectures is not meaningful.
Why? Because modern CPUs use pipeline processing.
Means, one cycle on the CPU does not process one instruction. Instead one cycle on CPU processes one pipeline stage of an instruction.
Example:
You have non-pipeline CPU with 4Ghz. Processes one instruction on cycle.
It has roughly same throughput as a piplined CPU with 2 stages, that runs as 2GHz.
This CPU needs 2 ticks to process the instruction because of 2 pipeline stages, but it can process 2 instructions in parallel ( second instruction will go to stage 1, while first one is still on stage 2 - called "insturction level parallelism").
So you can't asume that computing power of a core decreases because they decreased MHz. Maybe they optimized pipeline as well, so frequency decreased but throughput increased.

my observation on my system
1)sometimes using greater buffer size seems like you are lowering cpu load but some times cpu is not used to its whole potential for my master it was 256 samples
P.S. how to find your favorite spot,load a fairly heavy synth which uses approx 50% cpu in your daw meter and watch the daws performance meter and watch task manager cpu usage of your daw
the buffer size at which both of them have minimum difference is your spot

2)if you are using slaves then before starting the production of music set the priority of the slave program to realtime from the task manager

for cpu recommendation
1)dont go with the intel bandwagon for now they will rip your pocket when compared to what ryzen is providing for current prize + all the ryzen chips are overclockable

2)if you want to buy now then buy the amd r7 1700 (not the x) a good b350 mobo and a decent cpu cooler

3)or wait for threadripper it would be around 1000$ according to some news

P.S. i am currently laughing on intels condition that how horrifically they rushed the launch of x299 really they just want to release something as a AMD counter without even thunderbolt on their mobo with a complete different socket for avoiding upgrade for previous intel users seems like they are just behind the money
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

for rendering get rx 580 + amd is developing its own rendering plugin for blender
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Apratim wrote: P.S. i am currently laughing on intels condition that how horrifically they rushed the launch of x299 really they just want to release something as a AMD counter without even thunderbolt on their mobo with a complete different socket for avoiding upgrade for previous intel users seems like they are just behind the money
AMD fanboy?
http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-x-kab ... dmap-leak/
it is from june last year. there they talk about what their plan with the new sockets / LGA2066 is and they even have even mentioned x299 there. i don't see the rush.
No, I'm no intel fan-boy (Renesas Arm SoCs .. if any :D ) just hate when ppl dump such a bullshit from their brain into a public forum.
Trump would call it #fakenews

dont worry i was a intel fanboy.still have my old core 2 quad extreme 9770 but later started hating intel after its i7 4960x (3K$ really??) release and yes i am kinda a amd fanboy but for a reason

For moral reasons, wait till AMD's threadripper processors hit the market and don't feed the big bully.

Apratim wrote: P.S. i am currently laughing on intels condition that how horrifically they rushed the launch of x299 really they just want to release something as a AMD counter without even thunderbolt on their mobo with a complete different socket for avoiding upgrade for previous intel users seems like they are just behind the money
Thunderbolt was never supposed to be native in the X299 chipset. If Gigabyte has failed to put the additional support in for it then that's on Gigabytes head as other firms have. For a company that repeatedly ignored consumer requests for a them to make more Thunderbolt cards for 18 months, before deciding to delist them entirely I'm finding this a bit hard to swallow.

Kaine wrote:
Thunderbolt was never supposed to be native in the X299 chipset. If Gigabyte has failed to put the additional support in for it then that's on Gigabytes head as other firms have. For a company that repeatedly ignored consumer requests for a them to make more Thunderbolt cards for 18 months, before deciding to delist them entirely I'm finding this a bit hard to swallow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE&t

may be you will undersand now

The only reason I got a Xeon (haswell) was to support ECC memory, as I needed rock-solid stability, and ECC does contribute to that, to an extent (after - in sequence - a solid UPS, a decent PSU, a solid board, no massive power surges coming through from electric fences in your general area, and having everything installed by someone who knows what they're doing and Actually Uses a Goddamn Static Strap and Doesn't Touch the gold Sides of the RAM). So far it's been brilliant in that respect. But yes, for pure performance go i7 and a nice board.

Apratim wrote:may be you will undersand now
X299 has been roadmapped for years, the are no surprises here. The i9's came out of nowhere, that part is true but that isn't what is being discussed here. Gigabyte may claim that they "didn't have time", but oddly Asus did. Asus has had continuous support for TB since it came to market, Gigabyte hasn't wanted to stand by it in the slightest.

Linus has a lot of good info there and I agree with a lot of it, but he's not a 100% right on everything.

thanks for the responses here guys.

if you are looking for the best value for performance, there is nothing better than the Dual socket CPU config with Xeon E5-2670s.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”