Bitwig's Browser...

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I'm curious to know how you search/load your presets, instruments, vsts, and etc. ...being able to load/find things quickly is so important and I feel like Bitwig browser could be more efficient.

I can toggle the browser with "b" which is nice.
I would also like to be able to toggle the browser with "cmd/ctrl f" which would at the same time focus on the search field where you can write your keywords. And that search field should be on an additionnal Tab that contain all things that are in the 5 first Tabs already there. (in fact, like in Ableton)
And if the browser is already open, "cmd f" should just focus on the search field and allow to overwrite what's already there.

For me this is so much quicker, when I know what I'm searching for, to use keyboard to load things... and a lot better for tendinitis...

Also, I would like to have custom tags pleeeeease!! :love:

Any suggestion on how to organise my things and what should be improve in the browser??

pressing "s" after the browser window got the focus should focus its search field... (although in not always working :D )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Any suggestion on how to organise my things and what should be improve in the browser??
I've got into the habit of naming my presets like this:

[MASSIVE] BASS - Deephouse1
[FABQ] Low Cut 100
[KONTAKT] Piano - Ivory1
[KORG M1] PAD - Soft pad8

etc etc etc

it works for me, is very instant to search and get to what i want,plus instant visual indicator of which synth or plugin it's using.

best

I've made a bookmark to my own folder of bitwig presets for each VST so I can organize them how I like by plug-in type. I have a separate folder for presets by type of preset. Works pretty well.

Searching for "verb" doesn't find "reverb". Many reverb plugins names contain the string "verb" but not necessarily "reverb". Also, it is often the case you remember only part of a plugin or preset name. Or if you want to find all samples with the string "kick" in the name (but not necessarily beginning with "kick") Bitwig's search function just doesn't cut it. Studio One's browser also works like this and it's not ideal. Reaper, on the other hand, will find stuff containing, not beginning with, the search string. Just an idea for the devs to work on. I try the Bigwig demo from time to time to see where it's at, and I see this has not been implemented yet, so I thought I'd discuss it here.

For a few improvements to the browser could be:

1) A way to have auto preview on by default (annoying to have to enable it every time)
2) A way to quickly collapse all favorite locations (they are always expanded by default which can be useful, but also time consuming if you need to collapse them one by one to find the folder you are looking for
3) A better favorites system. I want to be able to quickly set up favorite folders and have them immediately accessible when I hit 'B' for browser.
Black Octopus Sound | Samples & Presets | VST Plugins & Software (Diva, Harmor, Spire, FL Studio, IK Multimedia & more)

Scoox wrote:Searching for "verb" doesn't find "reverb". Many reverb plugins names contain the string "verb" but not necessarily "reverb". Also, it is often the case you remember only part of a plugin or preset name. Or if you want to find all samples with the string "kick" in the name (but not necessarily beginning with "kick") Bitwig's search function just doesn't cut it. Studio One's browser also works like this and it's not ideal. Reaper, on the other hand, will find stuff containing, not beginning with, the search string. Just an idea for the devs to work on. I try the Bigwig demo from time to time to see where it's at, and I see this has not been implemented yet, so I thought I'd discuss it here.
It looks like the browser looks for any of that word being in the name, but only after spaces. For example "kick" would find "My Super Kick.wav" but not find "MySuperKick.wav".

One thing that helps is to use metadata tags for your presets. You can use the category and then search using that which is helpful.

Also, you can pretty much bypass the browser for adding plugins and presets. Simply click the plus sign in the instrument chain where you want to insert something, then type the name, press the down arrow, and then enter and presto it's in there.

Return to “Bitwig”