Faderport 8 ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone using the Presonus Faderport 8 ? How does it fare ? Anyone using it in Linux ?

Thanks.

I got one a few months ago. Really happy with the build, light but feels quite solid. Initially the faders felt too easy to move the first time I used it, but now that I'm used to them I think it's an advantage as the faders move quite fast when they map to a new setting. Would have been nice to have the faders that don't move unless you touch the middle of the fader (so you can't accidentally move them), but for the price I think it's good value.

The mackie script works for all the basic stuff (levels, pans, sends, etc) but it could be so much better if it had a dedicated script like maschine jam to get all the buttons working. I had a look at the maschine jam script to see if I could modify it but Javascript isn't my computer language of choice so it would take me months. For now I'll use the stuff that works in the mackie script. The edit plugins mode works well so I will be setting up device presets pages in Bitwig for all my plugins so I can click on a plugin in the device chain and control parameters with the faders without needing to open the plugin in Bitwig.

I can't see Bitwig having time to make a dedicated script any time soon, and PreSonus want you to use it with studio one so they aren't going to make one for Bitwig, so if a few people wanted to pass the hat around and get someone like Thomas to make a script for it I'd be up for that.

and I am on Windows 10.

Thanks for the comments. I would certainly factor in the cost of a Faderport 8 the extra to get a fully supported script. It would actually give the push to get one in the first place.

I am in the market for a desktop controller with motorized faders and more control. So...
Faderport 8 VS Icon QCon Pro X VS Behringer X-Touch ?

The Icon is the only one that has native support for Bitwig from what I can see.

Native support would be if there is a dedicated controller script by Bitwig, like with Maschine Jam. This page has most of what is supported https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/con ... ripts.html but there are some that are in the controller settings in Bitwig that haven't been added to this page.

None of the 3 that you have listed have native support in Bitwig, they will probably all use the Mackie script so are likely to have very similar functionality until a dedicated script is made for each unit. I chose the Faderport 8 based on the price, the size (so it could sit next to my computer keyboard), feedback from the Faderport (single fader unit) and I thought it would be a popular unit so would be more likely to have a dedicated script for Bitwig.

This topic has more of a discussion of pros and cons of different units viewtopic.php?f=259&t=480367

From this discussion it sounded like the controller API needed a bit of work from Bitwig so even if someone wanted to make a dedicated script they might be limited on what could be achieved. I'd suggest taking a long term view of when you might get deep integration with any of the units you've mentioned, until then I'm happy using my unit on the mackie script to help speed up workflow and to mix as I go so the mix down stage isn't as daunting.

Yes, you are 100% right.

Qcon ProX does not have native support for Bitwig.

I just saw this:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.icon-glo ... N-ProX.pdf

2nd best thing to native support I guess.

Return to “Bitwig”