Soft-eLicenser altered in an unrecoverable way (Solved).

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there

My understanding of eLicenser and iLok is that it supposed to work on any computer. That if I have the same software installed on different computers, I should be able to bring eLicenser with me and the software will be working.

I had some titles registered as Soft-eLicenser- registered to the computer. Now I am on my new computer. eLicenser shows "Soft eLicenser" deactivated red message and when I perform maintenance, it gives me error, "Soft-eLicenser altered in an unrecoverable way". Well- this is new computer, so it should not worry about old computer if license were installed on old computer. Why is it even bothering with Soft eLivences from another computer? Also- when I run VST Scan (Sonar), it says something about problems with Soft eLicenser permissions. This should not affect any permissions, right? Thank you.
Last edited by Astralv on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Best Google answer so far: Right click on the e-licenser program icon and select "Run as administrator"
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Soft eLicenser is authorizing software to your computer hdd. So if you wiped the old computer then your licenses are gone forever. Otherwise you have to deactivate them on old computer and then reactivate on new computer.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:Soft eLicenser is authorizing software to your computer hdd. So if you wiped the old computer then your licenses are gone forever. Otherwise you have to deactivate them on old computer and then reactivate on new computer.
This is EXACTLY why i use an eLicenser dongle instead and that since around 10 years without a bigger problem. Re-installing a computer with the USB dongle is very simple. All licenses will be kept there.

Soft eLicenser might be possible and you do not need a dongle but losing your license is quite easy that way.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Astralv wrote:Hey there

My understanding of eLicenser and iLok is that it supposed to work on any computer. That if I have the same software installed on different computers, I should be able to bring eLicenser with me and the software will be working.
What you wrote is true ONLY if you have your licenses stored in a dongle (a USB stick). That way, whatever computer you want to use, you just plug the dongle and that's it - instant authorization.

Soft eLcenser and soft iLOK are different. They store the licenses on the hard-drive, so these can no longer be moved except if you manually upload them again to the server and then authorize the new computer (in which case the old computer becomes no longer authorized.

This, of course, is only interesting if you are changing PERMANENTLY to the new computer, otherwise it is a rather cumbersome.

Therefore, if you want to jump a lot between computers, it's better to get the USB sticks and store the licenses in them (nothing prevents you to do that even it you were using soft licenses). This way, you are no longer dependent on the computer, and can simply move the stick around with you.
Fernando (FMR)

Astralv wrote:Well- this is new computer, so it should not worry about old computer if license were installed on old computer. Why is it even bothering with Soft eLivences from another computer?.
Did you install the software that those licenses go with? If so, that's why its bothering.

In other words, the license has already been activated, on your old computer. For it to work on your new computer, I believe you need to have it re-activated.

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... activation
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thank you for your replies. When I start eLicenser from Start menu, it gives me error message right on start: "Fixing relevant file permissions failed. Please, start LCC by right clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator". And when I do, it actually goes through and finishing Maintenance. Thank you for your help.

What if I want to start using another computer, but with the same harddrive/ssd, do I have to deactivate the licenses when the drive is in the old computer and then reactivate when it is in the new computer?

I've been searching high and low on the net all night for an answer to that.

It says "This Soft-eLicenser is stored on the hard disk and locked to this computer." I guess it is locked to the bios or something and not the harddisk per se?
It's not long since the last time I started fresh with a new dedicated DAW computer, but I actually don't remember what I did then and anyway that was fresh install and so on...

gaf_thit wrote:What if I want to start using another computer, but with the same harddrive/ssd, do I have to deactivate the licenses when the drive is in the old computer and then reactivate when it is in the new computer?

I've been searching high and low on the net all night for an answer to that.

It says "This Soft-eLicenser is stored on the hard disk and locked to this computer." I guess it is locked to the bios or something and not the harddisk per se?
It's not long since the last time I started fresh with a new dedicated DAW computer, but I actually don't remember what I did then and anyway that was fresh install and so on...
I never used soft iLock, but it will most certainly not be recognized in a new computer. That's why it's a good idea to have the eLicenser key (AKA dongle).
Fernando (FMR)

Yep, I guess you're right. Thank you for replying.

I don't think it will be a problem to reactivate through mySteinberg though. Done it once or twice earlier. I'll try tomorrow or read more FAQs etc...

You could reactivate through mySteinberg, I did that when I move to a new laptop. I dunno if there's a limit to how often you can do this though.

Also after every big windows update, I always have to run the LCC and ilok license manager as administrator once, otherwise they won't work.

I guess these soft dongles use dedicated service in your computer and the update turned off that service without turning it back on. Running as administrator once fixed the issue.

Thanks for your answers, I'll just jump in and try the reactivation route. I am a bit unsure if there is a limit to numbers of reactivations, but there is none mentioned that I can see.

This time I'm hoping the computer will last long.

Aloysius wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:14 am Best Google answer so far: Right click on the e-licenser program icon and select "Run as administrator"
Thanks! That worked for me just now. I had added an SSD this year and also started using a VPN, so thought one of those might have jinxed the Soft-Elicenser, but running the LCC as Admin fixed it.

:party:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Instruments”