AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd never do that. I want a good quiet fan.

Anyways, people are free to do what they wish, I'm going with a phantek or noctua. I like being safe.

incubus wrote:I'd never do that. I want a good quiet fan.

Anyways, people are free to do what they wish, I'm going with a phantek or noctua. I like being safe.
You are safe with a stock cooler as well. If the new ones are still too loud for you, that is your business of course. But for the vast majority of people the stock coolers are great and quiet enough.

Choosing the case is more crucial in reducing the noise in my experience. Sure my next one will be one of the silent cases. More expensive than 'average' case but it worth it.

Don't forget the noise that comes from the fans of the graphic card and the PSU as well as the case itself has several fans.

Now, if you don't play games that demand an external good graphic card, you would save a lot! Or the money would go for a stronger built, so if I omit my desired graphic card and use the built in motherboard, I would spend the money on:
- faster Rayzen like 1800 (but not the 1900/x)
- 600 or even 550 watts PSU (instead of 750 watts because I don't need it if I don't have an external graphic card).
- 32 GB (2x16) instead of (2x8)
- maybe 1 TB SSD instead of 520 GB

Or I could save $500 easily!

Anyway, if the stupid thing continues about bitcoins mining till next year, then mostly I'll buy a pc without a graphic card (just put my current gtx 750 into the new one). Anyhow, I'm not crazy about the latest games, I'm still playing 10 years old games. Now, for music making, any gaming pc would do the job for me :hihi:

If you don't play video games, you might as well get a simple video card with passive cooling, i.e. one noisy fan fewer.

Yes. That is an option as well, even though with today's integrated chips you can play old games (or very old) and flash/'Facebook like' games.
Unless of course you need more than one monitor (screen) in making music, then you do need a good graphic card.

Amazing.

EnGee wrote: Unless of course you need more than one monitor (screen) in making music, then you do need a good graphic card.
Onboard GPU's these days do 3 screens fine for audio workstation use as long as we're not talking a load of 4K screens.

Kaine wrote:
EnGee wrote: Unless of course you need more than one monitor (screen) in making music, then you do need a good graphic card.
Onboard GPU's these days do 3 screens fine for audio workstation use as long as we're not talking a load of 4K screens.
You are right! Even the cheap ones supports DVI and HDMI outputs. That for two screens I suppose :)

Also, the new AMD Ryzen based APUs are coming soon, but I don't know if they will be sufficiently good for audio related use.
It's easy if you know how

The last generation of APU's already had pretty good graphics, but the CPU part got throttled whenever the graphics part did something more demanding.
Maybe that will be different with the new generation.

I have checked some boards from Asus and Gigabyte, they don't say what kind of integrated graphic card is in their motherboards. I thought it's a Radeon chip, but I'm not sure now. I need to read about that.

EnGee wrote:I have checked some boards from Asus and Gigabyte, they don't say what kind of integrated graphic card is in their motherboards. I thought it's a Radeon chip, but I'm not sure now. I need to read about that.
There are no IGPs on the motherboards.
It's easy if you know how

Lesha wrote:
EnGee wrote:I have checked some boards from Asus and Gigabyte, they don't say what kind of integrated graphic card is in their motherboards. I thought it's a Radeon chip, but I'm not sure now. I need to read about that.
There are no IGPs on the motherboards.
Do you mean it's integrated in the CPU? There must be a graphic card somewhere because .... oh! I've just checked and there is no any support for graphics in the motherboards or CPU! The DVI and HDMI are for future API processors.

Ok! Good to know then.

Not sure, but I think with previous generations the graphics component was part of the chipset (the classic north and south bridge configuration).
The Ryzen chipset, however, is very limited in terms of functionality compared to previous chipsets, most important stuff is included in the CPU itself now.

There will be APU later that will have IGP built in, so the DVI and HDMI are for future processors. Anyway, it is good also to wait for those APU processors. If they get the best world of Rayzen power and Radeon graphics, that might be a great value for non-gamers (and who knows, maybe can be on par with the Playstation 5 or Xbox X, as AMD is the same processor provider for Xbox X and PS 5, as in this article ).

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”