MOTU 8A? Heard MOTU is good but their support is TERRIBLE (Should I switch?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was thinking of buying a MOTU 8A.. guy is asking 475. I have a Liquid 56 and a Fostex VC8 and don't have money to buy pre-amps but thought about selling the liquid 56 for the 8A

Is it worth it at this point? I've always heard MOTU sucks as far as customer service is concerned. I don't have USB3 or Thunderbolt but was thinking of upgrading my 2010 MBP (mac) that has a FireWire (the square kind) port.

Just heard FireWire is dying out.. is it just better to save up for a RME? Would it "save" my 56 from becoming obsolete by hooking it up via optical and then from the RME via Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 (when I get my future laptop) to my laptop?

Let me tell you a story. There was a sporting lad who liked computer music making that put up with everything and anything just to not spend RME cash. Then the lad finally said "f**k it, I'ma do this" and has had such bliss that he doesn't even know he has a soundcard anymore.

If you are tired of shoddy drivers, poor latency and marginal sound, you know what to do. If you want to keep struggling, go the other way.

I veto any and all opinions contrary to this. It's really that big of a difference.

^
You talkin about me hehe ;)

Had my love affair with my Multiface for over 15 years now, I've been monogamous but bought a 2nd hand multiface II the other day for much cheapness as a backup, just in case she dies.

I originally went the cheap route and bought an Emagic EMI 2|6, it was so shit and downright aweful I sent it back and went for the way more expensive multiface and was instantly glad I did.

An Rme will last you a lifetime and will never f**k you over, never
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Exactly. You simply can't go wrong it seems. We (all people in the community ) gripe about soundcards, EXCEPT RME.

It's hard to describe it because people think you are just shilling or trying to get them to spend extra money.

Get the Motu. It's fantastic. And at that price it's a steal.

'Terrible' is an understatement. 'Hopeless' is a better description IMHO
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Get a Motu if you want shitty support, shitty sound, shitty drivers, shitty dependability. In a nutshell...shit. RME is a whole different planet. You can't go wrong with them. Save yourself a few dollars and buy yourself an RME from jrrshop.

My traveler was a "good" soundcard. But mac or pc had the "click beep beep" problem when connected to the net. Apparently, that is still a problem with many people.

Support for motu is NASTY, but I'll warn you, in certain areas of the world (here in us) you don't GET support for RME. They tell you to contact the seller which is of course absurd.

So, that would be the drawback. I mean, seller would probably work with you if you needed something under warranty but they wouldn't even talk to me. (had a question about totalmix)

Ah the germans, great products, don't care about your problems :hihi:

incubus wrote:My traveler was a "good" soundcard. But mac or pc had the "click beep beep" problem when connected to the net. Apparently, that is still a problem with many people.

Support for motu is NASTY, but I'll warn you, in certain areas of the world (here in us) you don't GET support for RME. They tell you to contact the seller which is of course absurd.

So, that would be the drawback. I mean, seller would probably work with you if you needed something under warranty but they wouldn't even talk to me. (had a question about totalmix)

Ah the germans, great products, don't care about your problems :hihi:
Their service partner in the US is Synthax. I've gotten support for their hardware when I accidentally damaged one of the ports (my Fireface UFX's optical input). They fixed it for free and sent it back very quickly.

That's awesome and good to know. But they blew me off when I tried to ask a question (it was just a question :lol: )

On the positive side, they ALWAYS have the most current/updated drivers. Just get a return policy so that if it doesn't work you can send it back.

I don't know what these people are talking about. I've had several Motu's and highly recommend them. The 8A's sound better than any of the RME stuff in that price range and they have the stats to prove that. If you're using PC, get an RME. If it's Mac, you're far better off with Motu due to driver support.

Before my 8A I had an Ultralite mk3 and Microlite before that. The 8A is on a dramatically different level sound quality wise. But don't take my word for it, read about it at gearslutz where there are exponentially more discussions. Here- (107 pages with 3,201 comments to be exact) about the avb units using these same converters (including 8A):

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... rface.html

Speaking of support, in 10+ years I only had one issue with Motu. And it happened to be with the 8A. It was faulty (admittedly, not good), so I talked to support and sent it in to Motu. I ordered it from Sam Ash in the U.S. and delivered to a U.S. address while I was in town, but I live 11 months of the year in Mexico. Motu was kind enough to 2-day ship a new unit to Mexico to me at their cost. If that's not good service, I don't know what is.

You are the exception to the rule then. The matrix is full of anomalies.

Maybe it's Mac v PC?

My 10 year old Ultralite original still works with the latest Mac OS, would replace it with another MOTU in a heartbeat.

When I bought my traveler, I was mac. Doze did nothing to change that. It's not that the software/hardware was "failed" but it couldn't handle the net. Apparently it's still going on.

Anyways, motu isn't as good am RME. That is a troll. Saying it's a viable option? Sure. But it's not "better" than RME.

f**k if I care, please, everyone knock yourself out believing whatever the blue pill told you to. I know better from experience and the VAST majority of people with RME agree with me.

Suit yourself.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”