Multiband compressor with narrow range?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried fabfilter mb. Its narrowest range is actually twice as wide as alloy. I was somewhat disapointed as its sposed to be the better one on the market. Any thing narrower than 100?

You might be better off looking for a good dynamic EQ if you're looking to adjust dynamics in that small a frequency band.

Check out either TDR Nova (free), or probably the greatest mixing plugin of the last few years, Oeksound Soothe (not free).

DMG Essence can split to ridiculously sharp resonances using the EE band split filter, and down to a single note resolution using the higher order Butterworth band splits.

It's a better tool than a full multiband for this type of task. After all, if you need a range that narrow, then you are not using a multiband compressor for glue or broad shaping, but for surgical problem solving.

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:DMG Essence can split to ridiculously sharp resonances using the EE band split filter, and down to a single note resolution using the higher order Butterworth band splits.

It's a better tool than a full multiband for this type of task. After all, if you need a range that narrow, then you are not using a multiband compressor for glue or broad shaping, but for surgical problem solving.

Cheers

Scorb
Kinda pricey for a dessor. Do you knw its range? I need it for vocal to go between 500hz to about 2k.

MTurboCompMB, bundled in with MTurboComp
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MTurboComp

Choose your own bands (up to 6), apply a different compressor model (from 18) to each, independent control for each band. (I got a band down to a range of 10Hz, though I do not know how useful that would be.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

At some point with any multiband you run out of useful passband because of the necessary overlap for any filter (such as a Linkwitz-Riley) between bands. Essence does do an extraordinary job of dealing with very narrow correction bands though.

Essence would be a touch pricey for a de-esser alone, but it is so much more than that. It's actually a very powerful broadband compressor, as well as a split band expander, enhancer, bass limiter, width enhancer, you name it. Perhaps one of the most useful tools in my arsenal :)
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Neutron EQ - go really high Q on a single band and then set it in dynamic mode. Great for pesky resonances or sibilance - and no crossovers so it's fully transparent until it's doing something. It's great but pricey for the whole package. Or is there an 'Elements' version I hear?

i you mean you want to compress a certain frequency range then reaxcomp(its a reaper plugin and comes in the reaplug plugin bundle)
its free
infinite bands(your cpu is the limit)
re-sizable

if you want to pay money
edit:i owe melda plugin bundle and MturbocompMB is quite good so that will be an option for you
Last edited by Apratim on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Thanks

Yeah the above points are very valid.

Typically I would use the F6 (dynamic eq) for this type of job or perhaps combine it with a broader multiband compressor, depending on the context.

C6 is good for that because it does the multiband thing, but also has 2 dynamic eqs you can stack.

Return to “Effects”