Omnisphere (MHO)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gamma-UT wrote:Although I reckon Future Bass is Schlager for American millennials, all this does is illustrate my earlier point about the illusion of "I programmed the sounds myself" - what you've done is ape the style of Frontline Assembly. I've got more time for FLA than Future Bass, and it's a reasonable track, but fails to advance the point that not using presets means you don't sound like what's gone before. It just means it took longer to get there.
my track is by no means a never before heard breakthrough genre track,
but it is far more interesting using custom tailored sounds than using preset
sounds no matter what style it is. is all i'm sayin. :wink:

interesting being the key word here.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:my track is by no means a never before heard breakthrough genre track,

I don't think you've embraced the concept of artistic distance.

All I can say is that it's less painful than Future Bass. But I'd consider slamming my hand in a door to take away the mental pain of Future Bass.

layzer wrote: ok, man whatever you say.... but lets compare:
my track with all custom programmed sounds by me -
https://soundcloud.com/layzerkvr/ramirez-hero

vs. one of your tracks that quit honestly sounds like a bunch of boring typical
omni presets to me. -
https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe/gre ... ss-version

whatever works for ya man.
Yea your stuff does sound better produced but aren't they both kinda boring? Same ideas over and over with no build and release or chorus and verse and all that... kinda sounds like a loop pack demo.

This thread:

layzer wrote:
Kinh wrote:
layzer wrote:
Kinh wrote:
layzer wrote:
Kinh wrote: 5x more presets than others half the price
oh brother... :roll:
if you actually learned sound design you wouldn't have 500 presets that sound almost identical
except for a slight filter cutoff adjustment in your 500,000 omni presets.
I have learned sound design but im a producer and we trend to audition sounds rather than make them as we go.
and thats why you all sound the same.... go go preset boi :tu:
Sound designers make presets so people can use them not so they can make similar sounds in the same synth...what a waste of time. and unique sound comes from mixing, effects and layering techniques in today's music not from tweaking a couple of oscillators. Get wit the program.
ok, man whatever you say.... but lets compare:
my track with all custom programmed sounds by me -
https://soundcloud.com/layzerkvr/ramirez-hero

vs. one of your tracks that quit honestly sounds like a bunch of boring typical
omni presets to me. -
https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe/gre ... ss-version

whatever works for ya man.
Retro analogue = unique. Ok well thanks for the lesson. Now ill devote my time to reproducing UVI expansions. :wink:

Gamma-UT wrote:
layzer wrote:my track is by no means a never before heard breakthrough genre track,

I don't think you've embraced the concept of artistic distance.

All I can say is that it's less painful than Future Bass. But I'd consider slamming my hand in a door to take away the mental pain of Future Bass.
:hihi:

Omnisphere fills basically the same roll for musicians that stock photo libraries do for graphic artists. "You don't understand, man, I'm a working musician, it helps me get things done!" Yeah but see, what you're doing... you could not pay me to do.

My wife is an amateur painter -- although some of her stuff sells, it's nothing worth writing home about. She's quite talented, but demand for watercolors is rather limited these days. She could definitely make heaps more money as a "graphic artist," slapping together posters using clipart -- she'd be a Real Professional, but I wouldn't call that stuff Real Art.

Omnisphere's target market is those musicians who are the musical equivalent of graphic artists, and in this regard, it's a marketing masterpiece. If you're getting paid to produce a product under a deadline, Omnisphere is a valuable resource. The quintessential Omnisphere user is Joey Gladstone writing jingles in the basement. In fact, if Full House was re-made today, Omnisphere 2 would probably feature heavily in the soundtrack.

It's for creating art assets, not art, and in that regard, it's very good, but some of its champions seem to be more than a little delusional about what Omnisphere really does, possibly because they're delusional about the nature of their own work.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

aumordia wrote:Omnisphere fills basically the same roll for musicians that stock photo libraries do for graphic artists. "You don't understand, man, I'm a working musician, it helps me get things done!" Yeah but see, what you're doing... you could not pay me to do.

My wife is an amateur painter -- although some of her stuff sells, it's nothing worth writing home about. She's quite talented, but demand for watercolors is rather limited these days. She could definitely make heaps more money as a "graphic artist," slapping together posters using clipart -- she'd be a Real Professional, but I wouldn't call that stuff Real Art.

Omnisphere's target market is those musicians who are the musical equivalent of graphic artists, and in this regard, it's a marketing masterpiece. If you're getting paid to produce a product under a deadline, Omnisphere is a valuable resource. The quintessential Omnisphere user is Joey Gladstone writing jingles in the basement. In fact, if Full House was re-made today, Omnisphere 2 would probably feature heavily in the soundtrack.

It's for creating art assets, not art, and in that regard, it's very good, but some of its champions seem to be more than a little delusional about what Omnisphere really does, possibly because they're delusional about the nature of their own work.
While I kind of agree with you to a point, a sound is still just a sound. It's not the sound itself that makes the music. It's the creativity of the composer that makes the music. And a creative person can use Omnisphere or an upright piano to make good music.

In other words, don't blame the tool. Blame the person using the tool. Omnisphere is no better or worse than any other sound producing device in and of itself.

wagtunes wrote:In other words, don't blame the tool. Blame the person using the tool. Omnisphere is no better or worse than any other sound producing device in and of itself.
Yep.

hit & run thread

aumordia wrote:some of its champions seem to be more than a little delusional about what Omnisphere really does, possibly because they're delusional about the nature of their own work.
...and delusional about their clients and royalty statements, presumably.

This is always a fun look at some of the jingles produced in basements in the last few years - https://www.spectrasonics.net/company/filmtv.php

Game of Thrones
War of the Planet of the Apes
Stranger Things
Wonder Woman
Westworld
Spiderman Homecoming
Better Call Saul
Black Mirror
Rogue One
House of Cards
Mr Robot
Fargo
Breaking Bad
Arrival
Doctor Strange
The Dark Knight Rises
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Gravity
Edge of Tomorrow
Nightcrawler
The Martian
Argo
Spectre
etc
etc
etc

Damn these sodding threads, I always end up posting....
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

aumordia wrote:My wife is an amateur painter -- although some of her stuff sells, it's nothing worth writing home about. She's quite talented, but demand for watercolors is rather limited these days. She could definitely make heaps more money as a "graphic artist," slapping together posters using clipart -- she'd be a Real Professional, but I wouldn't call that stuff Real Art.
That's a real shame. I'm sure there's an opening in the market for restaurant adverts that come with an added tincture of moral superiority.

wagtunes wrote: ... a sound is still just a sound. It's not the sound itself that makes the music. It's the creativity of the composer that makes the music. And a creative person can use Omnisphere or an upright piano to make good music.
... Omnisphere is no better or worse than any other sound producing device in and of itself.
Spot on! My thoughts exactly! :tu:

aumordia wrote: It's for creating art assets, not art, and in that regard, it's very good, but some of its champions seem to be more than a little delusional about what Omnisphere really does, possibly because they're delusional about the nature of their own work.
This ranks up there in my favorite KVR sentences, ever.

Big ass lists of credits for a plug just doesn't do it anymore. Like who gives a shit if something was used somehow in a project? I've seen peeps use home recordings of rice and watermelons to make huge epic f*ckin trailer sounds in live's sampler. You don't see anyone rushing to buy or defend ableton just for that. It's like any sampler in any daw if you know your way around. So who gives a shit right?

What matters is how they use it. Those credit lists? They never tell you that. Most of the time it's because it was such basic shit that it coulda been anything else, the pros using it are just accustomed to it. Like they'd make edm in f*ckin pro tools they know it so well hahaha.

Return to “Instruments”