Fostex HP-A4BL DAC in the studio

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anybody owning this gear?

I am intending to buy it as I only work within my DAW environment, no in/live recording. I read about its DA converters - so I thought it would just contribute to my better mix quality. (Have good headphones and the monitors)
Sound Designing and Soundtrack Custom Presets
http://www.stawczyk.com

Hmm idk.
Have never seen nor used it, but no analog-inputs on the studio interface would the deal-breaker for me.
Also the price seem to be somewhat high to me for what it can do.
For about the same price you could get an RME ADI or HDSPe, which is widely used and recommended by tons of audio engineers.

I'd go with Apogee or RME, depending on budget / platform.

honestly I thought of the active monitors instead, as I have a simple Behringer mixer with the phantom power - and I wanted to change it for something better. However people say monitors first, interface next.

So maybe Yamaha HS7 would be the choice, yet I heard a lot of good about Adam f7 ..would anybody recommend the second one, a little bit more expensive though

One thing to check out on Yamaha that I discovered some years ago looking - they specify frequency response with -10 dB which is odd. Standard is to specify at -3 dB, meaning that low range may stop at 100 Hz or so if specifying 43 Hz - if that still is the case.

They both seem to have good room adjustment stuff, to adjust to how close to a wall, or placement in general. Keep that in mind if looking around. To be able to adjust low/mid/high and also the general going from 300-500 Hz to compensate for how close to a wall.

Important that it transalate well what you mix to any other listening device a listener might have. A real time saver not having to redo final mix 20 times after discovering sound bad somwhere else outside you own apartment.

PurpleSunray wrote:Hmm idk.
Have never seen nor used it, but no analog-inputs on the studio interface would the deal-breaker for me.
Also the price seem to be somewhat high to me for what it can do.
For about the same price you could get an RME ADI or HDSPe, which is widely used and recommended by tons of audio engineers.
Do you mean e.g. RME ADi - 2? Heard about it. Sounds like a good choice.

However, Anybody has any opinion on MOTU Audio Express USB / FireWire? As it has more line inputs and MIDI as well. Price kind of similar. Would apreciate the opinion.

Vocel wrote: Do you mean e.g. RME ADi - 2? Heard about it. Sounds like a good choice.
However, Anybody has any opinion on MOTU Audio Express USB / FireWire? As it has more line inputs and MIDI as well. Price kind of similar. Would apreciate the opinion.
Yes.
More channels means more $$$, especially at RME. You will pass the 1k$ mark soon if you want one of big devices such as the fireface.
Is there any reason you want to stick with USB? On your first post you wrote that you need it for your DAW / Studio PC not for live-sessions. If being portable (have a USB plug) is not important, you could go with PCIe instead. In general PCIe cards will give you less latency and maybe also some less CPU load, since there is no USB bus involved, but audio chip is connected to PCIe lanes of CPU directly.
If you want to go that way, you could start with a RME HDSPe AIO or HDSP 9632 and then add expansion boards (like the RME AI4S-192 AIO) if you need more inputs / outputs.

About the monitors.
I love my Focal CMS (2x CMS 50 + CMS Sub). Back when I bought it, I wasn't sure if it is worth the additional money compared to Adam, Genelc & co mid-price monitors. Today I think it was worth it (love the extremly transparent characteristic of the Focal).
Now.. after the release of Focal Shape and the reduced price of Focal CMS, I think there is no more reason to buy anything else then this speakers :lol: :lol:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”