Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

j37 vs satin?

Caine123
KVRAF

4288 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:51 am j37 vs satin?

I got satin but does waves j37 somehow has anything which makes it worth for 29 bucks atm?

gas is calling ;)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i20 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit
exmatproton
KVRAF

1780 posts since 24 Apr, 2011

Postby exmatproton; Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:57 am Re: j37 vs satin?

Caine123 wrote:I got satin but does waves j37 somehow has anything which makes it worth for 29 bucks atm?

gas is calling ;)

I find them both creating (a) very different effect(s). J37 @ 29 bucks is a steal. I love them both
Robert Randolph
KVRAF

1796 posts since 25 May, 2003, from Saint Petersburg, Florida

Postby Robert Randolph; Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:12 am Re: j37 vs satin?

exmatproton wrote:
Caine123 wrote:I got satin but does waves j37 somehow has anything which makes it worth for 29 bucks atm?

gas is calling ;)

I find them both creating (a) very different effect(s). J37 @ 29 bucks is a steal. I love them both

Yeah j37 is much dirtier sounding in a pleasant way. It's more of a cool saturation plug-in.

Satin sounds much closer to my experience of working with real tape machines.
exp((-(((x-4)^2+(y-4)^2)^2))/1000)+exp((-(((x+4)^2+(y+4)^2)^2))/1000)+0.1*exp(-(((x+4)^2+(y+4)^2)^2))+0.1*exp(-(((x-4)^2+(y-4)^2)^2))

http://admiralbumblebee.com/
heyheycnv
KVRer

14 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Postby heyheycnv; Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm Re: j37 vs satin?

If you use Satin and love all it can do I would say don't bother with the J37. I tried out it out as a demo. I was very underwhelmed and frustrated with how little it could do compared to Satin and how one note it sounded. If you want to spend 30 bucks on a great saturation plugin with the depth of Satin get Klanghelm's SDRR.

Out of all these recent Wave's daily discounts the only ones I have purchased were the REDD because I really like how it sounds and Abbey Road Vinyl because of it's novelty. The rest of the vintage recreation plugins I have passed on so far because they really have not done or sounded any better than ones I have already bought or found for free.
simon.a.billington
KVRian

1006 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Postby simon.a.billington; Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:24 am Re: j37 vs satin?

exmatproton wrote: J37 @ 29 bucks is a steal. I love them both

I can't give you a fair evaluation since I've never used Satin, but J37 is quite capable and when you consider the above statement, it does make it hard to just walk by.

Although I'm getting $69 on it at the moment. However an email just came in for PuigTec at $29
db3
KVRian

1412 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Postby db3; Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:35 am Re: j37 vs satin?

I have Softube Tape which is great, but I just snapped up J37 for $24.99 from Plugin Discounts (expect that price will be gone soon). I'll likely use J37 as more of a creative effect....really liking the saturation sound on bass.
-dthree-
realmarco
Waaaaahhh

2129 posts since 29 Jul, 2001, from montreal, quebec,canada

Postby realmarco; Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:14 pm Re: j37 vs satin?

the j37 is a plugin of the actual machines the beatles used at abbey road.

did Uhe actually go there to measure the machines ?
or was is just a lets-look-at-the-circuit-blueprints

what i like about softubes is that they have videos on how they develop their plugins thats what U-he is missing imo
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!
simon.a.billington
KVRian

1006 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Postby simon.a.billington; Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 pm Re: j37 vs satin?

realmarco wrote:the j37 is a plugin of the actual machines the beatles used at abbey road.

what i like about softubes is that they have videos on how they develop their plugins thats what U-he is missing imo

This makes a valid point. The J37 was extensively measured, tested, compared, refined, compared again... over the course of a year or two.

In the case of the Abbey Road Plates, it was considered that even the room the devices were modelled in contributed to the sound of the physical vibrating medium. So that was modelled as well.

This is only all really important if accurate "emulation" is what you are going for. I can't help but feel people get too lost in seeking the most accurate, they seem forget the point of what it actually means for the music, or for the listener.

Often times the fact that the tape emulation sounds like tape, any tape, is good enough. It will do the job it was designed to do.

Over using this type of tech can be more damaging than not using any at all. That should also be taken into consideration.
djmino02
KVRist

455 posts since 23 Nov, 2011

Postby djmino02; Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:18 am Re: j37 vs satin?

I think Satin isn't comparable to any other plugins. If you're looking for saturation then I highly recommend Decapitator.
Urs
u-he

21012 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:43 am Re: j37 vs satin?

simon.a.billington wrote:
realmarco wrote:the j37 is a plugin of the actual machines the beatles used at abbey road.

This makes a valid point.

So if we post a video with one of our guys listening to a Studer with an oscilloscope draped in the background, Satin miraculously sounds better?
martinjuenke
KVRist

365 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:08 am Re: j37 vs satin?

I've had J37 and deleted it because i'st imo too gimmicky and less sound improving. I used Toneboosters Reel after that and it was fine. Then I tried Satin and it has been better for my purposes...
Music was my first love ...
ambient music
http://www.mrtnjnk.bandcamp.com
sascha
KVRian

963 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from Berlin, Germany

Postby sascha; Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:49 am Re: j37 vs satin?

Urs wrote:So if we post a video with one of our guys listening to a Studer with an oscilloscope draped in the background, Satin miraculously sounds better?

Hang on, almost done.

WP_20170813_16_40_17_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sascha Eversmeier
u-he | digitalfishphones | samplitude (past)
virtualpt
KVRist

40 posts since 25 Feb, 2016

Postby virtualpt; Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:49 am Re: j37 vs satin?

Urs wrote:So if we post a video with one of our guys listening to a Studer with an oscilloscope draped in the background, Satin miraculously sounds better?

LOL. Excellent response Urs, brightened up my day :D
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

3843 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:55 am Re: j37 vs satin?

sascha wrote:

Hang on, almost done.

WP_20170813_16_40_17_Pro.jpg

A physically modelled printer will never produce letters a well as the real thing.
Urs
u-he

21012 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:30 am Re: j37 vs satin?

It's *not* true that developers at u-he are locked up in the basement closet :tantrum:

SaschaHelp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects