Dear developers, I (And many more of us) need a drum fill VST.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

be aware that Jamstix has a notoriously steep learning curve.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Perhaps not exactly what the OP is looking for. But in Ableton i use a M4L instrument called Instant Drummer for fills, using random- or prefilled patterns. But for more fun, i drop sampled drum fills / rolls in Simpler and trigger them using the splice mode.

It's sort of a secret weapon to me for making cool techy patterns with drums or melodic sounds without thinking.

Check this video for an example. He uses a melodic sample but it can also be a drum loop with rolls etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBG8yjPOPyg

Megawattt wrote:
shidostrife wrote:Can't you do that with an arpeggiator put in "random" mode?
Make a midi track with a "chord" made out of toms and snare and any other hits you want, feed it to the arpeggiator, record to a new midi track.
Hi shidostrife.

This sounds interesting! i have never used an arpeggiator before, if you use this technique yourself can you please instruct me in detail ? :) and link me to a freebie windows arpeggiator (64bit vst if possible) to try out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXWIYVy-fIU

Burillo wrote:be aware that Jamstix has a notoriously steep learning curve.
Hi Burillo.
Yes, it was a bit too deep for me :scared:
zeep wrote:Perhaps not exactly what the OP is looking for. But in Ableton i use a M4L instrument called Instant Drummer for fills, using random- or prefilled patterns. But for more fun, i drop sampled drum fills / rolls in Simpler and trigger them using the splice mode.

It's sort of a secret weapon to me for making cool techy patterns with drums or melodic sounds without thinking.

Check this video for an example. He uses a melodic sample but it can also be a drum loop with rolls etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBG8yjPOPyg
Thanks zeep, unfortunately Ableton live is not my DAW.

Hi Original Flipper.
I have just done an impulse buy on the Looploft Fills Unlimited, i got it for just over 8 quid (With a discount code on their site spinning a wheel of fortune) for now this seems to be the perfect solution for a dummy like me so thank you very much for pointing me to this product, if i don't get along with it, no problem it was only the cost of a couple pints of mothers ruin :D
Strictly drum and bass

No_Use wrote:
Megawattt wrote:
Make a midi track with a "chord" made out of toms and snare and any other hits you want, feed it to the arpeggiator, record to a new midi track.
Hi shidostrife.

This sounds interesting! i have never used an arpeggiator before, if you use this technique yourself can you please instruct me in detail ? :) and link me to a freebie windows arpeggiator (64bit vst if possible) to try out?
Hi Megawatt,

I've personally never used it, it was just my "theory". However this video from No_Use is exactly what I had in mind. :)

shidostrife wrote:
No_Use wrote:
Megawattt wrote:
Hi shidostrife.

Hi Megawatt,

I've personally never used it, it was just my "theory". However this video from No_Use is exactly what I had in mind. :)

Hi shidostrife and No_Use.

I checked out the video and wow! that was almost instant! i am not on Ableton Live,my DAW's are Reaper and Synapse Audio Orion so i would have to spend some time to figure it out for those, tomorrow i'll be fiddling with midi drum fill files and trying to get an arpeggiator to do what that guy did on the youtube vid for my DAW's, many thanks for the guidance :)
Strictly drum and bass

Platinum Samples has MIDI on offer, from some really big names, including fills. That's much better than expecting a "VST" to fill it in for yez (pun acknowledged).

AIR Strike has the best fills of any drum vsti I've ever used. Incredibly good stuff.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:MDrummer
Jamstix

Burillo wrote:Jamstix if you want to create your own.

EZPlayer plus various MIDI libraries (Toontrack, Groove Monkee, Platinum Samples etc.) if you'd rather build your drum tracks from a library of various bits and pieces.
Burillo wrote:be aware that Jamstix has a notoriously steep learning curve.
Hi Burillo and VarikusBrainZ.

After fiddling around with midi files and arpeggiator techniques, i decided to grow a big pair of testicles and invested in Jamstix, i really like the concept, the only downside seems to be that i cannot import my own samples but i can set it up to trigger sounds from a 3rd party drum machine, i am really going to try and conquer the steep learning curve and hope to be rewarded with some killer drum tracks :band2:

Thanks Russell Grand and jancivil for your suggestions :) if i had seen your posts earlier i would have checked out the products.Thanks again to all the KVR members that contributed to this thread :)
Strictly drum and bass

Glad you found something that suits your needs, Megawatt. :tu:

Jamstix was the first drum vsti I bought and the first I worked with. I got results quite fast I seem to remember, but there are many options I've not delved into.
Nice with midi out, yes.
I use it now and then for electronic drums too and/or feed the midi into synth plugins. Quite fun.
If you have any question, I could try and give some happy amateurish advices.

Maybe https://www.wavedna.com/liquid-rhythm/

but I think youre looking for a no brainer press one button app.

Personally, I think Jamstix with the appropriate drummer pack is the best as its really felxible but you will need to read the manual and learn the software Im afraid, not that it particularly difficult.

But youre probably better off looking at sample packs.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Russell Grand wrote:Glad you found something that suits your needs, Megawatt. :tu:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Maybe <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.wavedna.com/liquid-rhythm</span>/

but I think youre looking for a no brainer press one button app.

Personally, I think Jamstix with the appropriate drummer pack is the best as its really felxible but you will need to read the manual and learn the software Im afraid, not that it particularly difficult.

But youre probably better off looking at sample packs.
gaf_thit wrote:Jamstix was the first drum vsti I bought and the first I worked with. I got results quite fast I seem to remember, but there are many options I've not delved into.
Nice with midi out, yes.
I use it now and then for electronic drums too and/or feed the midi into synth plugins. Quite fun.
If you have any question, I could try and give some happy amateurish advices.
Well, i am glad to say that i now have enough knowledge to fire up Jamstix and create drum tracks with fills, it is really eye opening to hear a drum track playing out of your computer\laptop and it sounds human, i can never go back to static beats now, i am glad that i listened to the good advice given on this thread.The Jamstix manual was good but what really hammered the knowledge into my head was the Rayzoon Youtube videos and the 4 part Jamstix course by DjBolivia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o96TLgRjAq8those videos give enough knowledge to get you going, highly recommended! i now have a very good and professional drumtracks solution, thanks again :)
Strictly drum and bass

That's great! Keep on jamming.

Looking forward to Jamstix 4, though I'm more than happy with 3.6

Return to “Instruments”