what kind of laptop do I need?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

6 hours? I'd kill for 6 hours :lol:

incubus wrote:6 hours? I'd kill for 6 hours :lol:
:dog: Please don't tell me that! I loved that thing!!!
I thought 9 hours was the expected for a new battery. My test was 6 hours just surfing and no videos, no YouTube.

I love the iMac but I miss the portability.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Dude, I love my dell, but 2 hours is PUSHING it. It's sad. I did my research, I answer to my demons, they said with this unit battery was an issue. But it's BAD.

Really frustrating. I think part of it it the lighted keyboard, but w/o it, I'm lost.

Sigh, well, anyways the computer itself is pretty cool

2 hours? F#>k! Get an headlight at amazon :hihi:
My ThinkPad was around 4 max.

I don't know why but I always thought you were a Mac user :shrug:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Now that is a story that a sane person would want to hear!! But sadly, we're on KVR.

Glancing at a couple stores - I would not spend under $450 / 350UK - above that looks pretty good..

3 hours tops on my Lenovo W530...

But really are you guys producing on battery? It sounds like you are surfing. :clown:

I'm going to be in the market for a new laptop soon myself. The problem is that I need to be able to use it for 3D animation as well as music, so my criteria include an i7, a decent Nvidia GPU, 17" screen, as much RAM as possible and as much internal storage as possible. That instantly puts me into the realm of gaming laptops, and even then there are very few that check all those boxes.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

The problem is that I need to be able to use it for 3D animation
Yeah I've had a Dell m60 from back in the day - A few Lenovo Thinkpads and a W530. Always had the Quadro card for 3d. Can't comment on Geforce - tho I knew some students used them and they worked fine, this was a while back if they had issues would have to find better drivers for their Geforce cards. You could definitely find Lenovo Thinkpad W or an Asus game top around $1000 or less that would work well.

Just got my Clevo P650-hp6 - gotta say it gets top props for power, gonna run Audio here, spent about $1500 for it. Build is something like an HP - some aluminum, some plastic - some little case flex. Popped a Firecuda 1TB in it. The internals feel antiquated like a old tower crossover - but opening the bottom you have access to almost everything. Wicked fast for sure Kontakt was tipping at 60-70% with a few tracks = now an easy 20-30% with 5+ tracks...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”