Weird (even by KVR standards), but...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would love to get some feedback on the track, the mix, etc. This arrangement is wicked hard to mix right, but I did my best (so far).

Also looking for people to collab with.

https://soundcloud.com/erikgyle/rise-in ... ld/s-lUOMD

It sounds well mixed to me (listening on my phone), and not particularly weird. Kinda reminds me of late 60s, early 70s TV show music. :)

thecontrolcentre wrote:It sounds well mixed to me (listening on my phone), and not particularly weird. Kinda reminds me of late 60s, early 70s TV show music. :)
Thanks! I knew I was born in the wrong decade. :D

Very '70s (as thecontrolcentre said). A lot of pop music back then was very orchestrated. It was a pleasure to listen to your tune. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Very '70s (as thecontrolcentre said). A lot of pop music back then was very orchestrated. It was a pleasure to listen to your tune. :tu:
Thanks for the kind words! I don't know if Burt Bacharach was ever this melodramatic. :D

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

its a nice poppy tune, starts out ok but the heavy compression at the end (where the fat lady starts singing) flattened the dynamics and ruined it for me. :shrug:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

You're right. It's a common dilemma with classical crossover these days. Either you lose the loudness war, push something into the background (sustained parts tend to be the common candidates), or you compress. For me, the last option was the least of all evils in a tutti section.

Maybe if I come back to it in a week's time with "clean" ears, I'll find something else I can turn down to gain some headroom. Either way, thanks for the insightful comment.

erikgyle wrote:You're right. It's a common dilemma with classical crossover these days. Either you lose the loudness war, push something into the background (sustained parts tend to be the common candidates), or you compress. For me, the last option was the least of all evils in a tutti section.

Maybe if I come back to it in a week's time with "clean" ears, I'll find something else I can turn down to gain some headroom. Either way, thanks for the insightful comment.
i really dont have anything against "loud" but when its alot of sounds all going on at
once that sound all compressed on the master bus, it can get overwhelming when listening
on phones.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

That was definitely a blast from the past. It would work better using a singer and some lyrics. Some older music catches on with younger audiences and some will never. Maybe it's luck of the draw.

It reminded me a little of the uplifting, harmless music that is permitted for consumption by Chinese children. I knew a young women from China that played it for her young daughter. It was kind of weird. She also didn't want her learning english until she got into school. It's a control thing.

fastlanephil wrote:That was definitely a blast from the past. It would work better using a singer and some lyrics. Some older music catches on with younger audiences and some will never. Maybe it's luck of the draw.

It reminded me a little of the uplifting, harmless music that is permitted for consumption by Chinese children. I knew a young women from China that played it for her young daughter. It was kind of weird. She also didn't want her learning english until she got into school. It's a control thing.
Thanks, fastlanephil! I love singers and lyrics, as long as I'm not among the singers. I hate comping myself.

I'm actually well familiar with music of a different highly nationalistic state, and to be honest - I take the comparison as a compliment. It seems today very few genres of music are allowed to be openly emotional and unreserved: classical, musical theater, metal, propaganda/nationalist music, and worship music. All others aren't allowed to scream (or belt) out their feelings at the top of their lungs, to be unreservedly happy or proud. And I don't see why not!

Return to “Music Cafe”