Low-cost mastering EQ plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

legendCNCD wrote:Replace Limiter No6 with the new TDR version :hyper: :) but yeah they both work
Hoooolyyy skitt

Hadn't noticed at all that there was a TDR version of this limiter :o ... Thanks for bringing it up, the free No6 is one of my all-time fave limiters.

TDR stuff rulez for low-cost high-quality mastering. :tu:

The only lower-cost plugins that can achieve similar results are ToneBoosters plugs ReelBus, EQ and Barricade.

We are living in interesting times. :party:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Luftikus. Sounds great. Free.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/luftikus-by-lkjb

Excellent mention, Luftikus can be good for mastering although I tend to think of it as a great track-shaping EQ first and foremost. It doesn't mess up the phase as much as your regular EQ. Kinda like bandaxall EQ. Great for vocals.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

T-Racks is currently on sale. Their Sontec em, is something that has been used in mastering in the past. The original is discrete in design and extremely expensive.

They have a Linear Phase EQ, which also just dies a good clean eq sound when it in linear mode. Also the original Classic EQ, since T-Racks was initially designed for mastering in the first place

Plugin Alliance have a few if you can get them on sale, bx_digital, bx_hybrid, museq, passeq, although it has fewer bands.

Then there Waves H-EQ, mostly the Digital 2 filters or their Linear Phase EQ.

We're talking low-cost mastering EQ plugins, Simon. :roll:

Low cost as in "a bit more than a beer", I think. :D

DuX wrote:We're talking low-cost mastering EQ plugins, Simon. :roll:

Low cost as in "a bit more than a beer", I think. :D
Oh!! Haha!!

I am referring to sales prices, though. You got to admit some of those sakes can get pretty low. I think I saw H-EQ go for as low as $35 recently.

...Possibly the cost of a beer in an expensive Dubai hotel!! Haha!!

I must admit Waves plugins have come down in price, but I have to say not without a reason - they are generally really old code and living on past fame. I wouldn't use them if they were free these days. :D Nor Pro-Tools and all other "Industry Standards" that only stand for monopoly and profit. It's ridiculous. But I'm not judging you... if it feels good for you, just use them! :tu:

And always remember if it sounds good... eh? :) To tell the complete truth the difference nowadays is really not nearly enough big as it was in the all-analogue days.

DuX wrote:I must admit Waves plugins have come down in price, but I have to say not without a reason - they are generally really old code and living on past fame. I wouldn't use them if they were free these days. :D Nor Pro-Tools and all other "Industry Standards" that only stand for monopoly and profit. It's ridiculous. But I'm not judging you... if it feels good for you, just use them! :tu:

And always remember if it sounds good... eh? :) To tell the complete truth the difference nowadays is really not nearly enough big as it was in the all-analogue days.
Going by this theory 80s SSLs should suck because it's old algorithms and processing. After all, that's what all those components do, form the basis of a hardware algorithm.

People emulate old gear, why, because it works and it's a sound people come to appreciate. An 80s console isn't going to get an update and suddenly change the quality of its processing. Not unless it's reconditioned.

People are still finding use for old 12-bit effects processes, but based on this theory that should suck, right?? Then why do people do it?!?!...

If it sounds great it sounds great, no matter how old it is, no matter the type of processing.

Despite that Waves is constantly tweaking it's code all the time. They just don't save up all these changes and bundle it in a "new" version and charge you for it. It's a different business model. The big noticeable difference was when they released Element 2

H-EQ just recieved a big refresh a few months back as well. You could do great things with it before, you can do great things with it now and you will be able to do great things with it in 10 or 20 years time in much the same way we can do great things with an 80s console. It's just "assumed" that it's been around for a few years that it's older code so it has to suck, but that's faulty thinking.

I never once ever heard anyone ever say this mix sucks because it has old plugins on it.

I'm sorry but you're confusing digital with analogue processing. Analogue has infinite bandwidth and the differences in analogue processing usually come down to the quality of analogue circuits used. Digital, on the other hand, is perfect, or rather "perfect" and it differs one from another very little. So paying $200 or $20 for a plugin is in my mind rather ridiculous. However, people somehow think that something made by ***** [put any "industry standard" company name instead] is superior. It isn't. These are different times. And I've been around for so long and before plugins were even with in sight that I should know what I'm talking about, I hope. :D

In short: differences between analogue devices are much bigger than between digital, so these days it really doesn't matter that much and the old dogma about some company's products being so much better than some other's is obsolete. Stuff from ToneBoosters is in no way so much more crap than of SSL's, Focusrite's, Brainworx, Waves or whatever. All you have to do is use VST analyser, your ears and have an open mind. :D

Analogue doesn't have infinite bandwidth m, even metaphorically speaking. It is full of all sorts of imperfections including those that impact its dynamic range and frequency spectrum. Again it's another false assumption that people tend to make.

And you're right, quality is so much closer now between devs and platform. In fact, quality really shouldn't come into question. Really it's more about features and workflow at a good price point. So if you're going to pay more, it should be offering those extra features. There is so much good stuff out there.

Of course when it comes to leading ideas and opinions I can only speak of experience. It's hard to recommend anything if I havent used it personally.

There's a huge market shake up at the moment and I think Waves, Plugin Alliance, Flux, Sonnox, IK all realise this. Notorious with their exclusively high pricing. I can see their prices coming down, but not before they made the most out of their marketing from sales prices.

It's a business after all. Even after the bills and employees are all paid, they will still wanting to make a profit to fund their next venture at the very least.

simon.a.billington wrote: Going by this theory 80s SSLs should suck because it's old algorithms and processing.
Actually, on Solid State Logic... "Solid State" tech itself is often deemed inferior nowadays but in its infancy was sold as the latest and greatest (reliable, don't need to warm the tubes up etc)... so I dunno, getting gushy over a solid state console desk might be a strange concept in itself to guitarists like me who get all corksniffery over tube amplification.

MogwaiBoy wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote: Going by this theory 80s SSLs should suck because it's old algorithms and processing.
Actually, on Solid State Logic... "Solid State" tech itself is often deemed inferior nowadays but in its infancy was sold as the latest and greatest (reliable, don't need to warm the tubes up etc)... so I dunno, getting gushy over a solid state console desk might be a strange concept in itself to guitarists like me who get all corksniffery over tube amplification.
Well you pick a classic, any classic... The point remains the same.

But really, its all amateur of preference and personal perspective. What are your lies and dislikes, what genres do you work with, what kind of workflow do you like.

In the end, the technology is just there to facilitate the need. With a bit of luck it wont get in the way much. All technology gets in the way, nothing is perfect, the main thing is it doesn't bog you down. In which case another workflow would be preferable. However, everybody appreciates different type of workflows. So the world is mad of all sorts.

There never is that simple solution of one size fits all.

Old Waves EQ curves are cramped.
Also, some EQs f**k up the phase more than others.
Also, gain/q interaction, the curves you're getting when using several bands - really makes a difference.

So not all digital EQs are the same - far from it.
But there are no 'mastering' EQs, sorry. The term was cooked way back when to make 'mastering' seem important. Now - any capable EQ can do the job.

@OP: I'd recommend a linear phase EQ. Voxengo Marvel GEQ is linear phase, 16-band and free. Another mention: ReaFIR.

DuX wrote:I must admit Waves plugins have come down in price, but I have to say not without a reason - they are generally really old code and living on past fame. I wouldn't use them if they were free these days. :D
Old code that nearly all 'modern' eqs still use. The majority of the plugins I use in my professional mastering are Waves.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Effects”