E-mu Emulator X3 sounds fantastic!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Emulator X

I just found the link to https://www.digitalproaudiosamples.com/ ... r-software where down the page it says available to authorize online or offline. So I don't know what's happening here.

Arcvidean

Smasha wrote:Just wondering how to set groups for hihats so they stop playing when open or the foot pedal is played and not overlap?
Do you mean to stop the closed hats playing when open/foot hats play (and vice versa I guess)?

If each hat has an individual key assigned, I'd probably just group them all to one of the 8 mono groups and that should do the trick.

Arcvidean wrote:
planetearth wrote:
Arcvidean wrote:For anyone thinking of buying Emulator X3 it seems you can no longer authorize it offline. I've sent several emails trying to authorize it with no response. I now have an unusable piece of software, not happy. :!: :cry: :dog:

Arcvidean.
Where did you buy your copy? Was it from Digitalproaudiosamples.com?

Steve
I had Emulator X2 originally. I bought Emulator X3 cheap after it was discontinued, so it was probably Digitalproaudiosamples but it was several years ago I bought X3.
Arcvidean.
I bought the Emulator X3 and a bunch of sound sets a few months ago from digital pro audio, and it all worked perfectly. The online activation works. Just follow through the steps. Evidently they still have enough infrastructure to make that work. The infrastructure to support offline registration - that is, someone to answer your email and respond - is probably no longer in place.

The software works perfectly on my windows 10 PC. (The chicken systems translator probably doesn't, but were you really planning on using it? Everything else works though - the Transform Multiply, everything.) The fact that it's abandonware doesn't bother me; it's a finished product, and I haven't run into any problems at all. I believe I now have a permanently authorized copy - at least on this machine. That's good enough for me.

I got this because I was very inspired by this amazing tutorial thread focused on the Emu Command Station https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... als-3.html Everyone shoudl check it out. I figured that the Emulator X3 was the closest I was going to be able to get in software, and the price, plus the tremendous access to many many sound banks that would be hard or impossible to find in the form of cards for the Command Station, was very attractive.

BUT, I've been struggling to apply Balma's brilliant ideas to the X3. I have a midi controller with 16 knobs (something you will really want with this software) but still it feels like there are a lot of other design differences between the CS and the X3. Tracks and arpeggiators and all that - that's not reproduced in the Emulator X3. You could build similar things in your DAW, but Balma really loves the gestalt of the Command Station, and I guess if I want to experience that, I'll... have to get a command station.

I'd be curious if other people have figured out how to open up the obviously vast possibilities of this instrument - its filters, its modulation cables (36 per patch!!), its function generators (you can have them modulate their own rates!!!) and its many good (and not so good) samples. (There's an entire multi of 'wah geetars' - namely, goofy little muted-string rhythmic flourishes and chugs - that I was fantasizing about looping and filtering into unrecognizable washes of sound, but... I couldn't figure out how to get the looping to work right, and be modulatable so that it would vary over time, which is something that Balma is really into.) Of the sound banks, I really recommend Old World Instruments. Tons of interesting sounds, beautifully sampled.

exiannyc wrote:
Arcvidean wrote:
planetearth wrote:
Arcvidean wrote:For anyone thinking of buying Emulator X3 it seems you can no longer authorize it offline. I've sent several emails trying to authorize it with no response. I now have an unusable piece of software, not happy. :!: :cry: :dog:

Arcvidean.

Steve
I had Emulator X2 originally. I bought Emulator X3 cheap after it was discontinued, so it was probably Digitalproaudiosamples but it was several years ago I bought X3.
Arcvidean.
I bought the Emulator X3 and a bunch of sound sets a few months ago from digital pro audio, and it all worked perfectly. The online activation works. Just follow through the steps. Evidently they still have enough infrastructure to make that work. The infrastructure to support offline registration - that is, someone to answer your email and respond - is probably no longer in place.

The software works perfectly on my windows 10 PC. (The chicken systems translator probably doesn't, but were you really planning on using it? Everything else works though - the Transform Multiply, everything.) The fact that it's abandonware doesn't bother me; it's a finished product, and I haven't run into any problems at all. I believe I now have a permanently authorized copy - at least on this machine. That's good enough for me.

I got this because I was very inspired by this amazing tutorial thread focused on the Emu Command Station https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... als-3.html Everyone shoudl check it out. I figured that the Emulator X3 was the closest I was going to be able to get in software, and the price, plus the tremendous access to many many sound banks that would be hard or impossible to find in the form of cards for the Command Station, was very attractive.

BUT, I've been struggling to apply Balma's brilliant ideas to the X3. I have a midi controller with 16 knobs (something you will really want with this software) but still it feels like there are a lot of other design differences between the CS and the X3. Tracks and arpeggiators and all that - that's not reproduced in the Emulator X3. You could build similar things in your DAW, but Balma really loves the gestalt of the Command Station, and I guess if I want to experience that, I'll... have to get a command station.

I'd be curious if other people have figured out how to open up the obviously vast possibilities of this instrument - its filters, its modulation cables (36 per patch!!), its function generators (you can have them modulate their own rates!!!) and its many good (and not so good) samples. (There's an entire multi of 'wah geetars' - namely, goofy little muted-string rhythmic flourishes and chugs - that I was fantasizing about looping and filtering into unrecognizable washes of sound, but... I couldn't figure out how to get the looping to work right, and be modulatable so that it would vary over time, which is something that Balma is really into.) Of the sound banks, I really recommend Old World Instruments. Tons of interesting sounds, beautifully sampled.
I'm not familiar with the Command Station, but I'll check it out, thanks. And yeah, the Old World instruments collection has a lot of great sounds, doesn't it? I have a ton of sounds from my Proteus VX (which uses the same file format as the X3) that I'd love to resurrect--especially for some older projects I want to finish.

There's just something about how they were able to cram the sounds in to those limited-memory (and feature set) hardware samplers and ROMplers back in the '90s--while still making them sound good!--that fascinates me.

Thanks for your input on this.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

exiannyc wrote: The fact that it's abandonware doesn't bother me; it's a finished product, and I haven't run into any problems at all. I believe I now have a permanently authorized copy - at least on this machine. That's good enough for me.
I'm glad you see it that way but in my case that makes it (almost) a no-go concerning that I'd get and use it for the job. I can happily live with Proteus VX on my laptop, despite its shortcomings (i.e. freqently asking to save the bank contents, bringing everything else to a halt) but then I'm only using it for some songs and not the job.

Have you tried to install your X3 copy with the same reg. code on a different machine?

exiannyc wrote:
Arcvidean wrote:
planetearth wrote:

Arcvidean.

Steve
Arcvidean.

My problem started not because I tried to authorize Emulator X3 on a new computer but because it was deauthorized on my existing computer for no apparent reason, no other software was affected.

Arcvidean.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Regarding thinness = sound card sample rate maybe?
Naaah. The solution is very simple. Go to nearest Waitrose and buy some lard. Apply judiciously to your cables leading from the audio interface. Done. Enjoy the phat sound. :lol:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

atya wrote:
exiannyc wrote: The fact that it's abandonware doesn't bother me; it's a finished product, and I haven't run into any problems at all. I believe I now have a permanently authorized copy - at least on this machine. That's good enough for me.
I'm glad you see it that way but in my case that makes it (almost) a no-go concerning that I'd get and use it for the job. I can happily live with Proteus VX on my laptop, despite its shortcomings (i.e. freqently asking to save the bank contents, bringing everything else to a halt) but then I'm only using it for some songs and not the job.

Have you tried to install your X3 copy with the same reg. code on a different machine?
Are you using Proteus VX in a 64-bit DAW? Or are you using it in a 32-bit DAW?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Are you using Proteus VX in a 64-bit DAW? Or are you using it in a 32-bit DAW?

Steve
I'm using it in 64-bit Reaper - no issues other than smaller windows (save/change something) always! pop up behind the main VST window, often unexpected.

atya wrote:
planetearth wrote: Are you using Proteus VX in a 64-bit DAW? Or are you using it in a 32-bit DAW?

Steve
I'm using it in 64-bit Reaper - no issues other than smaller windows (save/change something) always! pop up behind the main VST window, often unexpected.
And you just installed it in the "standard" way? You didn't edit any Registry settings or copy files to other locations to get it to work?

The reason I ask is because the 32-bit version of Proteus VX doesn't work for most 64-bit DAWs.

Steve

planetearth wrote: And you just installed it in the "standard" way? You didn't edit any Registry settings or copy files to other locations to get it to work?

The reason I ask is because the 32-bit version of Proteus VX doesn't work for most 64-bit DAWs.
Steve
It's just too long ago but I sure didn't change any registry settings. From what I remember though I started the standalone version from a shortcut on the desktop as administrator!, loaded up the standard 'Composer' bank which wouldn't load in Reaper, checked 'Remember last bank' (?!) in the settings menu, closed Proteus and suddenly I could load the banks into the VST in 64bit Reaper (Windows 7 and 8.1).
Hope that helps.

atya wrote:
planetearth wrote: And you just installed it in the "standard" way? You didn't edit any Registry settings or copy files to other locations to get it to work?

Steve
It's just too long ago but I sure didn't change any registry settings. From what I remember though I started the standalone version from a shortcut on the desktop as administrator!, loaded up the standard 'Composer' bank which wouldn't load in Reaper, checked 'Remember last bank' (?!) in the settings menu, closed Proteus and suddenly I could load the banks into the VST in 64bit Reaper (Windows 7 and 8.1).
Hope that helps.
Ah, okay, thanks. I've already tried that. Doesn't seem to work in Sonar (any 64-bit version), or the other 64-bit DAWs I have (FLS, Bitwig and Ableton).

Thanks, anyway.

Steve

planetearth wrote: Ah, okay, thanks. I've already tried that. Doesn't seem to work in Sonar (any 64-bit version), or the other 64-bit DAWs I have (FLS, Bitwig and Ableton).

Thanks, anyway.

Steve
Over here it doesn't show up in Ableton's Live plugin browser either, only the 64bit stuff. Have you tried jBridge?
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... g-ins-Win-

atya wrote:
planetearth wrote: Ah, okay, thanks. I've already tried that. Doesn't seem to work in Sonar (any 64-bit version), or the other 64-bit DAWs I have (FLS, Bitwig and Ableton).

Thanks, anyway.

Steve
Over here it doesn't show up in Ableton's Live plugin browser either, only the 64bit stuff. Have you tried jBridge?
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... g-ins-Win-
Yeah, jBridge doesn't support Proteus VX. And Proteus VX shows up in Sonar, but when you load it, it's just a small, empty box. The 64-bit version of Emulator X3 loads properly as a VST, but the 32-bit version of Proteus VX doesn't (though it runs fine as a 32-bit standalone).

Thanks, though!

Steve

RooiValk wrote:Finally got around to uploading the banks and making them available for free.

They are in the Emulator X section here: http://analoguesque.x10host.com/

Hope you guys enjoy them - they were done with Emulator X and originally had zero FX. I tried to add a some but it was a bit of a rush job and the EmuX FX are not that great. I'm sure you'll find some stuff you can use though.

Let me know how you use them.

Is this legal to provide these sound banks? I'm not sure... Does anybody know?

Return to “Instruments”