help upgrading RAM (older Core 2 Quad) (solved)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 CPU, Intel DP43BF mainboard.

This is currently equipped with 2 x 2GB DDR3 RAM (dual channel) and I want to upgrade to the max. possible 8 GB.

Today came the 2 new RAM sticks but - no dice. :(
When I put them in and turn on, it repeatedly beeps 3 times in a row and that's it.
Yes, I've put in for both sticks only one of them so I don't think I received two broken ones.

Top original, bottom new ones:

Anyone an idea what the problem could be ? I'm (obviously) no expert in this.

Btw. this is the third time I tried to upgrade with no success after 'recommendations' in other forums and I'm getting a bit frustrated so please only reply if you think you know relatively certain what's wrong.

If you can recommend me two working sticks (e.g. on ebay in EU) that would be nice. :)

The only hunch I have currently:
It can't be seen clearly but I think it looks like the original ones have chips on both sides while the new ones only have on one, could this be an issue ?
And what about high and low density which I've also stumbled across when reading about memory compatibilty ?

Help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Last edited by No_Use on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

I did a Google search, and found this:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/30858

Seems a BIOS update would help.

Though I'm not sure you can mix and match these two types, you better have 4 of the same kind to be totally sure.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:I did a Google search, and found this:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/30858

Seems a BIOS update would help.

Though I'm not sure you can mix and match these two types, you better have 4 of the same kind to be totally sure.
Thanks.
I'm already running 2 x 2GB sticks (the original ones) fine though, so I think that thread doesn't apply (regarding updating BIOS).
But OP does mention
The memory is 1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.50V, Non-ECC... double sided with 1GB on each side (organized with 8 SDRAM devices on each side). Well, it all fits to the specs, but the board does not start up.
And as said, my new sticks are single sided. Could this indeed be the issue ?

The memory modules you have bought seem to be 2 Gbit SDRAM Density. The 2Gbit SDRAM Density has nothing to do with the size. The VS2GB1333D3 might be 1 Gbit SDRAM Density, which is why those work.

Make sure you have BIOS v088, at least, otherwise the Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A would probably not work.

In case you have v088 or later, did you try removing the old memory modules only trying with the new ones? If not, please do.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Just for clarity, the TW3X4G1333C9 do work, the VS2GB1333D3 don't.

In any case, I'll check BIOS version and report back. Might be tomorrow till I get around to it though.

My old computer didn't accept any RAM either. Not even the same brand, and same model.

Not that it'd have to be the case here too. Rather try the things suggested.

Aah, I see, got that mixed up then :)

I shouldn't matter if the modules are single or double sided. I have mixed both single and double sided modules myself.

Unless you haven't checked that already, I would like to know if you have removed the old modules only running the new ones in the blue slots. In case this work, try placing the old ones in the black slots. If this wouldn't work, I guess there are some incompatibility between the different memory modules.

Thanks for the help so far.
So here's a screenshot of the BIOS:

Does this tell anything ?

I've not yet tried running the new sticks alone, will do and report back in a moment.

It seems 0070 is the BIOS version.

In case you wouldn't have any luck with your next moves, I would suggest a BIOS update to 0088.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=43606

I suppose the file at the bottom would be the easiest one (.exe file for Windows). Be sure to read the release notes (both pdf files) for valuable information before updating the BIOS in case you decide to do this.

Ok, I now tried running the new ones alone (VS2GB1333D3 in the blue slots) - no dice. :(
Same as before, 3 beeps in row repeatedly, that's it.

So should I try BIOS update next ?

You should only do a BIOS update as the last option, but I think the only thing left to do now is to try that. However, if you are insecure of how to perform a BIOS update, maybe you should ask someone to help you.

From what I understand from the BIOS support page though, the .exe file contain the latest BIOS update, and you should be able to upgrade the BIOS with this file within Windows. This should be foolproof unless you encounter a power outage during the update.

Did a BIOS update, worked flawlessly. Actually I think I already had the latest version before, because I bought this machine 2nd hand after 2010 (when the latest BIOS update was released) and the former owner said he kept BIOS is up to date.
And I can confirm in the BIOS, the displayed version is the same as before I did the update (and the program you linked to confirmed update went ok).

So, with same BIOS version, the RAM still doesn't work of course (I just tried again after the BIOS update, just in case) so back to start I guess.

Any other ideas ?

So it still says 0070? That's pretty weird, because in the Read Me (pdf) under Release Notes, it claims this is the version. It should say 0080 there now, if the BIOS update went well.

Anyway, unfortunately I'm out of ideas now. I don't think a BIOS reset would do the trick either.

Oh, just spotted something in the linked thread;
Note:

If the current BIOS version is 0070 or earlier, you must first update to version 0085 before you can update to 088.
Maybe the update program lied then. :hihi:
I'll try above and report back.

Good finding, I hope it will do the trick first updating to 0085 :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”