Alternatives To Valhalla Shimmer?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Demoed the Toneboosters one, really liking the sounds and the possibilities with the two pitch shifters, LFOs, etc. etc. :)

The problem with feedback routing in your DAW or modular host is the introduced latency
Amazon: why not use an alternative

ImageImage

VariKusBrainZ wrote:The problem with feedback routing in your DAW or modular host is the introduced latency
The recipe for shimmer is: PitchShifter + Delay + Reverb -> Feedback/Output.
In the case of shimmer-circuit, a tiny bit latency is just additional delay.

(e.g. 128ms delay changes to 134ms delay..e.g.)

In a modular host there is maybe 1 sample latency when you "feedback to the input".

---
My "RME Babyface+AIO PCI-express" can "Loopback" any channel internally in the software-mixer.
- WonderEcho -

EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I read up on the shimmer technique a year or so ago -- there are some articles that lay it out if you put the pieces together.

Basically my take away was this:

a send with (different orders for different results):

a compressor limiter
a delay with feedback
a pitch shifter set to 50-100% wet going up one octave
a ~5sec reverb at 50-100% wet
an eq that is rolling off the high (a lowpass filter)

... and the send feeding back into itself some amount.

I'm not very satisfied with the results I get from Valhalla Shimmer, although I love that developer and own everything he's made.

This is what I do and I think that I have been able to nail the sounds I hear on the records:

In Ableton live set up a track with the Ableton Looper on it (you can do this with Augustus Loop's fx version, too)

set the loop to loop for a short time... 1-2 seconds. You don't want it to be too short or you'll get some feedback.

Make another audio track. Set "audio in" to the looper insert from the track with the looper on it and the output the same. Set that track to monitor "in" (instead of "auto")

On that track put in (I'll put what I use):

Softube FET compressor with the input set to 2oclock the output set to 10oclock and the ratio set to 2oclock
Echoboy junior set to a 200ms delay, 50% wet with the saturation up a bit for warmth
Eventide H910 dual harmonizer, set to +1 octave, 50% wet
PSP 2445 reverb, no early reflections, 5sec reverb, 100% wet
Fabfilter pro Q with a single high cut filter at 8000hz with a little but of Q to emphasize a sweetspot.
Softube Tape plugin, a little wow and flutter and a little THD.

You control the feedback with the volume of this looper insert track... depending on the material.

When I mess with this stuff I like to spend a long time tuning it up... it's not really just one effect, there's a lot you can do with this setup. The mix on the pitch shifter is the setting that makes the most difference. I never like the sound of it at 100% wet.

Once you get things balanced you can make a single guitar chord ring indefinitely and not go to howling feedback... Eno seemed to like to effect whole tracks or aggregates of instruments. I often run one of these off my master buss to pretty great effect. If you put the looper on your master inline before a limiter and set things correctly you can get the original material and the shimmer to do some push/pull magic.

Anywho. If you ask me this is the way to do it. Trying to do it all in a single plugin doesn't do it justice.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your Ableton set-up.

One thing: The Looper is there, only to send and receive the audio? (Instead of using a send-channel with feedback?)

Do you set the reverb etc. to full stereo?

------
n9 wrote: If you ask me this is the way to do it. Trying to do it all in a single plugin doesn't do it justice.
Yeah ethics.. and stuff.

(i also think a personal set-up sounds best :phones: )
- WonderEcho -

i use the looper because it fits with the need for feedback and i use loopers for a lot of things in ableton. you can’t use a send on master in ableton either. a send sending to itself would totally work, and i’ve done that. i’ve also set up some feedback networks with multiple sends feeding back and sending to each other to good effect, too, to create a wash noise floor effect.

I just came home.. and immediately looked if you posted..
and yes, thanks for the reply!

Now i get it.
---
Nice idea with the tailored "noise-floor", could be cool for dubby stuff etc.
- WonderEcho -

Shit, replika can do what shimmer does bout wit more control. Shimmer's just a diffusion reverb. Replika has diffusion, tune and all dat but its also a decent delay.

Shimmer isn't a just a diffusion reverb.... there is a lot of stuff going on internally. Replika can do some of them, but not all of them.

check out:

https://valhalladsp.com/2010/05/11/enol ... t-is-made/

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/plugins/valhalla-shimmer/

n9 wrote:Shimmer isn't a just a diffusion reverb.... there is a lot of stuff going on internally. Replika can do some of them, but not all of them.

check out:

https://valhalladsp.com/2010/05/11/enol ... t-is-made/

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/plugins/valhalla-shimmer/
Shit, I dont think you know what you're talkin' bout mate

shrug. I'm not the one that is saying that a delay plugin is equivalent to a reverb plugin. or that a 'diffusion reverb' is a thing.

Kinh wrote:Shit, replika can do what shimmer does bout wit more control. Shimmer's just a diffusion reverb. Replika has diffusion, tune and all dat but its also a decent delay.

--- Shit, I dont think you know what you're talkin' bout mate
Shit.. Replika cannot do shimmer.

But Replika XT can. It has the basic recipe delay, reverb ,1 octave pitch-shifter..and feedback.
:phones:
- WonderEcho -

Return to “Effects”