Under-the-radar synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

recursive one wrote:Kontour and Rounds. I guess at least a half of people making computer music should own them as they are included into basic Komplete but I barely see any signs that someone actualy uses them - no third-party soundsets, no forum discussions, very few tutorials. Which is strange cause both are exceptionally good sounding synths. There is some "hardware-like" feel in them - warm, strong, "3-dimensional" sound. Though the workflow is a bit hard to understand, especially in Rounds.

I love Rounds. It’s the best synth for supersaw sounds. 4 voices x 2 osc each x awesome morphing capabilities.

As for Kontour, I’m not sure how many time they can remake the same synth. It was what? Spark before that and an even old ensemble before that even. It still sounds amazing, but the GUI is all over the place and incredibly non-intuitive.

AnX wrote:CM Dominator was a great synth when it came out. I dont think many ppl appreciated the sound quality at the time.

Shame it was kept up to date...
Totes agree, it was the bee's knees. I still like it. I think part of its sound came from the good built-in chorus.
A well-behaved signature.

I would say Rapture Pro and Harmless. Maybe due to the fact that both are part of other products I don't think they get the love they deserve.

babbgr wrote:I would say Rapture Pro and Harmless. Maybe due to the fact that both are part of other products I don't think they get the love they deserve.
+1

Rapture Pro also had some issues at release that weren't fixed as they should've so it may have something to do with the image people have about it..

My vote goes for Enzyme. Genius little synth that is too difficult to use. My happy accident -synth that has random button hit quite often :D

JerGoertz wrote:Totes agree, it was the bee's knees.
And the Award for using slang from two decades the farthest apart goes to............. :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I am getting use to HALion Sonic 3 right now. It isn't under-the-radar exactly, but I don't really hear too much talk about it. The layering of different types of synths and samples is easy to work with, and you can get some complex/huge sounds out of it.

A few of you mentioned NI's Kontour, and it really looks like an interesting synth. This is definitely one I want to try out.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... s/kontour/

Examigan wrote:A few of you mentioned NI's Kontour, and it really looks like an interesting synth. This is definitely one I want to try out.
Yeah, don't be swayed by the comparison to Spark, it's not the same synth at all. Read enough of the manual to understand the modulation system. It's a very dynamic and playable synth with a few interesting technological quirks.

ghettosynth wrote:
Examigan wrote:A few of you mentioned NI's Kontour, and it really looks like an interesting synth. This is definitely one I want to try out.
Yeah, don't be swayed by the comparison to Spark, it's not the same synth at all. Read enough of the manual to understand the modulation system. It's a very dynamic and playable synth with a few interesting technological quirks.
OK thanks for the info. :)

dangayle wrote:
recursive one wrote:Kontour and Rounds. I guess at least a half of people making computer music should own them as they are included into basic Komplete but I barely see any signs that someone actualy uses them - no third-party soundsets, no forum discussions, very few tutorials. Which is strange cause both are exceptionally good sounding synths. There is some "hardware-like" feel in them - warm, strong, "3-dimensional" sound. Though the workflow is a bit hard to understand, especially in Rounds.

I love Rounds. It’s the best synth for supersaw sounds. 4 voices x 2 osc each x awesome morphing capabilities.

As for Kontour, I’m not sure how many time they can remake the same synth. It was what? Spark before that and an even old ensemble before that even. It still sounds amazing, but the GUI is all over the place and incredibly non-intuitive.
Rounds is a good one to point out.
Almost never hear anything about it.

CircuitEYE wrote:
dangayle wrote:

Rounds is a good one to point out.
Almost never hear anything about it.
Agreed I love Rounds. CPU runs hot sometimes with it but I guess That is the price to pay for the fantastic quality of its sounds...

You guys mentioned ArkSyn and I was into check it, but their website looks like down?

http://www.spcplugins.com/arcsyn

Teksonik wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Totes agree, it was the bee's knees.
And the Award for using slang from two decades the farthest apart goes to............. :lol:
Hey, I'm a hep cat, alright daddy-o? :hihi:
A well-behaved signature.

hollo wrote:You guys mentioned ArkSyn and I was into check it, but their website looks like down?

http://www.spcplugins.com/arcsyn
I just emailed their support to see what's going on.

The link works fine here.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Return to “Instruments”