One computer, lots of doubts...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, sure you can. Just make sure you set the boot priority as you want. 1st drive to be the one with Windows 10, the rest doesn't matter. For example I also intend to use my 2x1TB drives from my existing system with the new one. I'll install Windows 10 on the new SSD and then add the rest of hard drives to the system and delete the windows partition from the drive which I am running right now and add the space to another partition.

Gee, 2 TB of space, what are you people doing with all that space? 8)
My current SSD of 256 GB is enough for everything I do and save. I will likely not have filled it 10 years from now :hihi:

But yes, I managed to plug the old HD in, copied the patches, and now the drive is being deep-formatted. Takes hours, but I can give the drive away afterwards as everything is overwritten unlike with fast formatting.

Really happy I could import my Sylenth1 patches :)

Windows 10 also has one big advantage. With my old printer for instance, no longer do I have to install the bloated software from the CD, instead W10 only downloads the driver itself. No more checking manufacturers' sites for updated drivers.

Well if you play games from time to time you need the space. Also when you do lots of audio recordings, or edit video footage. There are lots of use for terabytes :D

The more space the betta. :)

fluffy_little_something wrote: My current SSD of 256 GB is enough for everything I do and save. I will likely not have filled it 10 years from now :hihi:
You could just about get half of Komplete Ultimate on there if you wipe it first :D

Hehe, no problem, I only use Sylenth1 for sound creation. I haven't even installed Xpand2, yet, not sure I will. I don't really want iLok or any such software on my new computer. I want to keep it as clean and lean as possible.

How do I make W10 switch off all USB devices when turning off my computer?

When disassembling my old computer I noticed the odd coverage of the paste between CPU and cooler:

https://app.box.com/s/5owf7v0383onhy8ea5x0qk7xu69skzyt

It was the same on the chip itself. So, where has all the paste in the center gone? is the center slightly raised so that the paste got pressed towards the edges? I am sure I put the paste right in the center (as recommended) when I built the computer 8 years ago.

I take it what we call CPU (the square metal thing) is not really the processor, but the case of the processor, which itself is a lot smaller and in the center. The metal plate is just for cooling and accommodating all the pins on the flip side.

Weird, the AMD software keeps advising me to update my driver from 17.30 to 15.1, which is two years older 8)

One of the surfaces might be convex. Also, overtime thermalpaste losses it's integrity and you have to change it. It depends on the quality to say how much time it will take. It's good to change it like once a year or two. This also happens on GPUs. For example I had my graphics card for like 3-4years and I found it to be really dry and it was getting really hot, beyond normals. I just removed the heatsink, cleaned the dust (that was everything left, just thermalpaste dust), applied fresh one and boom, normal temperatures.

The metal plate is more like protection from the heatsink. That way the heatsink won't apply pressure directly on the die which is quite sensible, it's like glass. Between the metal part and die there is a thermalpaste that has long life so it could transfer the heat. It doesn't have anything to do with the pins. Actually, people on 7700k remove that part and apply their thermal paste because Intel cheaped out on it and it's quite bad and that way they can overclock more since after the process temperature is lower. The process is called delidding, you can find videos on the internet on how do they do it.
For Ryzen there is no need, because the metal part is soldered to the die and it's really good heat transfer. Actually you could do it, but you won't get any improvements in the thermal performance.

About the software update, probably the one you have right now is beta or something and it's suggesting the stable one. Just ignore it if everything works fine.

LE:
Ryzen delidding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOZbK3tP7EU

i7 7700k delidding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNLubjXKHLs

Wow, taking off the metal plate, funny idea. I can imagine why the warranty ends :hihi:
Weird that Intel uses poor paste, though. Their processors have been expensive enough to justify investing a couple of dollars more in that drop of quality thermal paste.

The stuff on my old chip was not dry, it was quite liquid, although I had not used the computer since it broke a week ago.

Taking it apart once a year seems extreme.
If it were necessary, it would say so in the warranty of the CPU.
I think it only applies if you overclock your processor, which of course creates much more heat. If I am not mistaken, overclocking also breaks the warranty. The additional heat might also be what destroys the thermal paste in the long run.

I surely won't overclock, actually I disabled the AMD energy profile and returned to the balanced Windows profile as that reduces temps by about 10°C. Given the power of my new CPU relative to my needs, there is no point in running it at around the maximum level.

Strange, sometimes there is ugly noise in my DAW and I have to restart the DAW's audio engine to make it go away. I get the impression that it is some sort of interference from applications because I was sending a mail. And when I returned to the DAW a few minutes later there was that noise whenever I played a note. Maybe the Asio4All driver?

Thinking about it, I did not have that noise yesterday, maybe it has to do with the Windows system sounds I turned on today. When sending he mail, there was a sound I suppose.

OK, it is not the Windows sounds.
Maybe some script running on websites...
After restarting the computer, and running the same project again, the CPU load was much lower. Maybe something to do with Thunderbird or Chrome. KVR also runs scripts, unfortunately.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

As l said, depends on the thermal paste quality. But it's good to check temperatures from time to time and if it gets higher than usual change thermal paste.

If you run on stock you shouldn't worry too much about temperatures, you sure have space to even overclock. If temps go over 75°C then you should worry.

I have my current Q6600 for like 8 years, idle temps are around 35-41°C, full load around 70-75°C. It runs really well, no problems at all. Keep in mind that no apps will run your cpu like prime95 and other synthetic benchmarks like that. In real world applications it doesn't go over 68-70°C. It runs that hot in idle because all power saving features are turned off and I always run the performance profile.

LE. This pc ran like 8-10h/day almost every day.

According to HWMonitor my CPU's idle temp is 30°C. Not sure if that is correct, though...
Even when running a DAW project, it barely reaches 35°C 8)

I have turned the Ryzen profile back on again, the spread across all cores seems to reduce the load per core as there is no core parking anymore. Maybe it actually helps the CPU's lifespan when each core does a little bit rather than one core a lot.

The temperatures are right, Ryzen is quite a cool cpu, especially if you are not overclocking. Even if you overclock, you can do 3.7-3.8Ghz pretty easy with not much voltage, but after 3.8 it's harder and needs more voltage resulting in more heat. But it depends on the luck too, some can get 4.0Ghz with not very much voltage. If you ever consider overclocking, don't go over 1.42V. I've heard people managing to get to 3.7Ghz on 1700 with as mush as 1.27V which is quite low and wouldn't change temperatures very much, so as I said, depends on luck when it comes to overclocking. It's the same story with Intel.

No, I will never overclock the CPU. It is fine the way it is out of the box :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”