When Bitwig adds comping, what kind of implementation would you like to see?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

igoramos wrote:The only 2 things I personally would like to see added are:

1) separate tempo per track
why?
igoramos wrote:2) comping
isn't
menu > PLAY > Post recording Action/Delay > Record into next free slot
just that?

connmach wrote:
igoramos wrote:The only 2 things I personally would like to see added are:

1) separate tempo per track
why?
igoramos wrote:2) comping
isn't
menu > PLAY > Post recording Action/Delay > Record into next free slot
just that?
1) on the fly experimenting with mixing multiple tempos
2) o, wasn't thinking of it like that! Thanks, is great idea!

''isn't menu > PLAY > Post recording Action/Delay > Record into next free slot just that?''

Its a poor version of comping, the real benefit of comping is the way you can lay all of the tracks side by side and when you select part of one track, it mutes those parts on other tracks letting you quickly create a take from multiple tracks that works together: Studio One probably does this best for me....

https://youtu.be/VBqP5VZZvZ8

Foe people who think comping makes things too perfect....its not Midi, its for getting g the bits that sound best together (mistakes, sloppy timing, it can all go in if you want it there...) but if your vocals are as bad as mine, it would yakle 100 takes to get something 'acceptable' (or a lot of autotune), I can probably get something acceptable from comping over 5 tracks.....its still 'live', just not necessarily the same 4 minutes of live!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Ok, there's no easy & streamlined comping feature in Bitwig, but it can be done.

Imagine I've recorded 4 takes into separate clips on 1 track using the After Recording Action. What can be done I'm showing in below video. Basically:
- I copy the clips to individual tracks,
- group the tracks,
- switch to EDIT view, with layered editing on,
- switch the tool to eraser,
- erase the parts I don't want,
- select time on the group track, bounce-in-place,
- copy the new, post-comping audio to separate track,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncec16G ... e=youtu.be
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

much much easier is: selecting the 'takes' in the lancher (or arranger if audio is there) go to layered editing, time selection, and drag and drop selections from whatever track to whatever track. + ctrl and you copy the audio events.

i see no poor comping, i see inspirational rich audio editing with multi audio takes.

connmach wrote:much much easier is: selecting the 'takes' in the lancher (or arranger if audio is there) go to layered editing, time selection, and drag and drop selections from whatever track to whatever track. + ctrl and you copy the audio events.

i see no poor comping, i see inspirational rich audio editing with multi audio takes.
This is really cool but I can't figure out why I can't drag the audio in the clips from one track to another. I saw a video where someone did this but it doesn't work for me in v 2.2.1. Any tips for this? I select the section from a certain track I want and I can drag it to another position on the same track in layered editing mode, but not to another track. And they are not locked. I'm talking about the arranger. The launcher works as expected.

Title should be changed to IF BITWIG adds comping :hihi:

Clearly live link and regressing are mo' important :D

(I know, I'm so terrible)

incubus wrote:Title should be changed to IF BITWIG adds comping :hihi:

Clearly live link and regressing are mo' important :D

(I know, I'm so terrible)
Well, I like that they're prioritising implementing things that couldn't be done at all (like Link, even though I've no use for it), against those that could be done better - as I shown in video above, comping can be already achieved. Not ideal, but it works.
Music tech enthusiast

Comping is great if you like to experiment with effects, you can record several pass with different effects and tweaks and then comp the bits you like, so great for glitchy stuff.
You can go down to microscopic levels so not just for vocal phrases or guitar takes as its 'traditionally' used.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

igoramos wrote: in v 2.2.1. Any tips for this?
it is the same as in launcher, but then in arranger; select tracks, multi edit, clip [!not! TRACK], not locked, audio events, time selection tool, select, drag and drop.

connmach wrote:
it is the same as in launcher, but then in arranger; select tracks, multi edit, clip [!not! TRACK], not locked, audio events, time selection tool, select, drag and drop.
thank you! I see now. you have to select all the clips in arranger, then double click for them all to show up in the editor as clips. much appreciated. This is great. And good enough for me! love this.

igoramos wrote:
connmach wrote:
thank you! I see now. you have to select all the clips in arranger, then double click for them all to show up in the editor as clips. much appreciated. This is great. And good enough for me! love this.
Still having issues with this. Not sure if it's because I'm still on 1.3.16 or because I only use the arranger. The method I described back in the thread still works for me. That and attempting to just get a solid take so I don't have to manually attempt to flounder around farmer-comping.

I love Bitwig. Great program even if they never implement comping. But I have little use for any of the features introduced since 1.3.16. I've thrown in the towel waiting for them to bring comping to the table. Was excited about fades and crossfades, but I don't think it was very well implemented. No need to upgrade here.

Oh well. Can't please 'em all.

I'd like to see an Adobe Premiere-style compositing system, where you can open a whole new project and do whatever you want, then have it automatically bounce out to your main track. That way, I can have a 30 second clip of one song, then chop it up and remix it in another song, but still be able to go back and modify the original.

Ott_ wrote:I'd like to see an Adobe Premiere-style compositing system, where you can open a whole new project and do whatever you want, then have it automatically bounce out to your main track. That way, I can have a 30 second clip of one song, then chop it up and remix it in another song, but still be able to go back and modify the original.
THE Ott? Faints... ;) :P
Music tech enthusiast

Heh, they made it possible to open multiple projects (not tabs inside one project) only in Premiere 2018 CC.
Isn't basically Grouping of all tracks of your project will work the same?

Return to “Bitwig”