My first day with the se-02

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My thoughts on playing mostly presets.

- it has a great heft to the bass
- the presets 1-70 sound mostly the same
- it’s capable of much more
- great bass
- filter is really nice
- I hate the ⅛ jacks
- the knobs are kind of wobbly
- I don’t own a moog but this sounds like one. I have lots of classic records with moogs and I can get to that sound quickly.
- this thing does the Arp chameleon bass sound really well. (I have an odyssey and compared)
- damn those ⅛” jacks
- it has a high output that overdrives my mixer
- I think it’s worth the cash but the knobs are tiny
- I can do gangsta whine leads too.
- I layered it with my prophet 6 with great results.

That’s all for now. I really don’t have a synth hardware or software that has the heft of this thing. Maybe not for everyone but it’s a great fit for my collection.

This thing also has a pretty high output, but those 1/8" jacks.. Im going to break it because of the pressure on that jack. However, we live in a really amazing time for analog synthesizers. I just think the issue is that these will not appreciate in value like their vintage brethren. Its a decent trade off I think, and I can say this is my favorite of the boutiques Ive tried.(JP-08, JX-02, JU-06, TR-09, TB-03). I am still interested in the SH-01 though...

I absolutely love mine. Roland and Studio Electronics really hit a home run with this one, IMHO.

David

Stupid American Pig wrote:This thing also has a pretty high output, but those 1/8" jacks.. Im going to break it because of the pressure on that jack. However, we live in a really amazing time for analog synthesizers. I just think the issue is that these will not appreciate in value like their vintage brethren. Its a decent trade off I think, and I can say this is my favorite of the boutiques Ive tried.(JP-08, JX-02, JU-06, TR-09, TB-03). I am still interested in the SH-01 though...

The vintage ones didn't appreciate also when you compare their "new prices" vs current ones with inflation, not even close, not even the mighty CS80 is close.

They have only become more valuable relative to the low prices that equipment reached from the late 80's to the mid 00's.

So don't get equipment as investment, enjoy it. WHat I predict that will happen is that this time the prices for used analog gear will be more stable, it won't crash like in the 80's.
dedication to flying

Agreed. And I definitely didn’t buy for collectibility. If I were I would probably buy one of each of the boutiques and wait for about 20 years and take in that 1% per year profit. :hihi:

I do think that all prosumer gear like this will dip somewhat after 5-10 years unless it’s an immediate hit. The boutiques have the disadvantage of not being a “new” thing but a reproduction of something else.

I run mine into a TC Fireworx.
You must have more FX on such a FAT sounding synth.

Waiting for a chance to Chain Mode 2 of these.
Should get mine in a week and want those 2 Voice Bass, Lead and possibly 6 different pitches from combined Oscillators.

Drones with so many real-time parameter Modulations would be amazing if 6 pitch is possible. If not I’ll play 5ths.

I always loved my SE-1Xs.
But the 02 should be considered an upgrade in many respects.

Yeah, every demo I’ve heard of it sounds great. I may indeed add one at some point... though I’m not sure I really need another 24 db lowpass synth. It is tempting though.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I was skeptical as well, but I decided to take a gamble. Hardware wise, I have an Arp Odyssey desktop, a Prophet 6 and JP-08. I figured a Moog-ish sound would be a nice addition. I do notice some overlap between the Odyssey and the SE when I use the "moog-type" filter for some bass type sounds. That said, despite the small size, I feel the SE is more tweak-able and behaves more like I would expect than the Arp. That is kind of the charm of the Arp, as I dont feel like I completely grasp the controls all the way, but with the SE, I can tune it pretty quickly, and it has a pretty solid group of presets to start from...

zerocrossing wrote:Yeah, every demo I’ve heard of it sounds great. I may indeed add one at some point... though I’m not sure I really need another 24 db lowpass synth. It is tempting though.
I wish it had dual Filters but one thing is certain, this Triple Oscillator design is powerful and most likely will be used in another Boutique down the road.
Let’s hope they’re listening to our praise and requests. :tu:

Stupid American Pig wrote:I was skeptical as well, but I decided to take a gamble. Hardware wise, I have an Arp Odyssey desktop, a Prophet 6 and JP-08. I figured a Moog-ish sound would be a nice addition. I do notice some overlap between the Odyssey and the SE when I use the "moog-type" filter for some bass type sounds. That said, despite the small size, I feel the SE is more tweak-able and behaves more like I would expect than the Arp. That is kind of the charm of the Arp, as I dont feel like I completely grasp the controls all the way, but with the SE, I can tune it pretty quickly, and it has a pretty solid group of presets to start from...
That’s good to hear. The included presets on my ATC-X QFS are pretty terrible. Or, I should say, not bad but very sort of basic. They don’t seem to cover much range when you consider what the synth can do. Odd, because I always like SE’s demos. Maybe Roland had a hand in helping out with the presets.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I'm sure it sounds great, but I wouldn't trade my Boomstar (big solid knobs, built like a tank) for it.

How did you record it?
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

stardustmedia wrote:How did you record it?
Who are you asking?

The OP
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

stardustmedia wrote:The OP
Ok, but you're question is a bit vague... do you mean: to tape / digitally / with or without midi?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”