What exactly is Oeksound Soothe?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djscorb wrote:...
If you work a lot with other peoples material, whether mixing or mastering, this plugin is an absolute godsend.
This. If you only "produce" yourself using VSTis, or rarely use audio files, (like me :D ) it's probably a waste of money.

ps
It would be nice to see this kvr user actually respond to the threads he starts. :dog:

I agree completely that the the off line rendering settings would be great options.

I have demoed it on an acoustic guitar and maybe I got what it does: filter out resonances.

I suppose it is good to use it after the compressor so that doesn't mess its detector.

What I didn't understand is how to use the bands. What's the point of boosting a band above the 0 line?

mementus wrote:What's the point of boosting a band above the 0 line?
To make the effect stronger in that area.
It's easy if you know how

Googly Smythe wrote:
If you work a lot with other peoples material, whether mixing or mastering, this plugin is an absolute godsend.
This. If you only "produce" yourself using VSTis, or rarely use audio files, (like me :D ) it's probably a waste of money.
I dunno about that - I'm finding it very useful on synth parts - particularly arpeggios, sequences and anything that jumps around the place frequency-wise :D

I think it's one of those plugins that might end up being overused though. We may be seeing a glut of very sterile, resonance free mixes soon ;)

I think over-use is a valid concern. I definitly go back over any channels where I have applied it to see if it is too much and make adjustments. But that is true of any plugin really. YOu can over de-ess, apply to much delay or reverb. This is no different. YOu have to use judgement.
andymcbain wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:
I dunno about that - I'm finding it very useful on synth parts - particularly arpeggios, sequences and anything that jumps around the place frequency-wise :D

I think it's one of those plugins that might end up being overused though. We may be seeing a glut of very sterile, resonance free mixes soon ;)

I read the manual and they suggest to use it as a first plugin in the chain.

Anyhow I have tried it and I have to say that the gui played a big part in my perception.

So I tried it blindly, but also in that case the on/off manual input played a role in my perception (as for every plugin)

Then I tried to randomize the process and ended up not buying it.

I will re check it for sure, since I usually re-demo plugs often. This time I ain't got it tho.

soothe imparts audible artifacts that just don't sound good. a brittleness/harshness/brightness ensues even when used moderately. I think soothe has a seductive quality to it that leads some people to think its appropriate for use all the time, based on them saying so. Either they can't hear the artifacts, haven't been able to acknowledge them or don't care. In my extensive use of soothe, to determine what it does and what usefullness it has to me, I've decided the artifacts are too severe despite its effectiveness at controlling resonsances. Another person summed it up when they said it was a destructive tool like a noise reducer and should only be used to fix problems that would otherwise be worse sounding. soothe definitrly doesn't make things sound better in a general sense. I compared it to other similar tools that I have and the difference wasn't great enough to justify getting it. YMMV

Maybe, just maybe, instead of not hearing the artifacts, using it blindly or not caring, perhaps people have figured out how and when to use it appropriately. You can hear artifacts with any processor that is removing frequencies if you misuse or overuse it.

Maybe it is you... not Greg Wells, Chris Shaw or Rick Simpson
who are wrong.

I do admire your confidence and hubris and appreciate that your extensive testing is able to point out weaknesses in others perception
from afar. How acute your hearing must be.

plexuss wrote:soothe imparts audible artifacts that just don't sound good. a brittleness/harshness/brightness ensues even when used moderately. I think soothe has a seductive quality to it that leads some people to think its appropriate for use all the time, based on them saying so. Either they can't hear the artifacts, haven't been able to acknowledge them or don't care. In my extensive use of soothe, to determine what it does and what usefullness it has to me, I've decided the artifacts are too severe despite its effectiveness at controlling resonsances. Another person summed it up when they said it was a destructive tool like a noise reducer and should only be used to fix problems that would otherwise be worse sounding. soothe definitrly doesn't make things sound better in a general sense. I compared it to other similar tools that I have and the difference wasn't great enough to justify getting it. YMMV

Sorry to say, but you may be correct. Not everyone hears the same way. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to point out a subtle audio issue to people who say they can't hear it. But after repeated attempts and them clearing their minds and focussing, they can eventually hear it. Same with me - just recrntly I had an engineer claim there was an issue with a track and I simply couldn't hear the problem. Then after a bunch of analytic listenting attempts I could finally discern it. I am sorry to say, that, yes I think people are missing the problem here with soothe. There are some however, that also cite the same issues and conclude that soothe is not a tool to be used all the time - only when its artifacts are better than leaving the track alone.

Also, those people on the soothe page who offered testimonials are likely being paid for their endorsement and are disqualified from offering any objective input into the product, from my perspective. But you can do what you wish.

So to sum up, yes, not everyone can hear issues even if they are overt because of the nature of audio and the human brain. I've been involved in high-end audio, music production and audio engineering including extensive AB and ABX testing research for almost 40 years. I am very confident in what I can hear and what I can't hear and pushing my objective sensibilities. So yes, I am confident I am hearing things that apparently many others are not. However there are enough of us that can hear the problems that it appears to be real.

Plexuss... you can dismisss the effectiveness of the plugin - I have no quibble with that but don't judge the intentions, hearing or integrity of others from your position. That is pure arrogance and can't be justified no matter what your stated experience.
plexuss wrote:Sorry to say, but you may be correct. Not everyone hears the same way. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to point out a subtle audio issue to people who say they can't hear it. But after repeated attempts and them clearing their minds and focussing, they can eventually hear it. Same with me - just recrntly I had an engineer claim there was an issue with a track and I simply couldn't hear the problem. Then after a bunch of analytic listenting attempts I could finally discern it. I am sorry to say, that, yes I think people are missing the problem here with soothe. There are some however, that also cite the same issues and conclude that soothe is not a tool to be used all the time - only when its artifacts are better than leaving the track alone.

Also, those people on the soothe page who offered testimonials are likely being paid for their endorsement and are disqualified from offering any objective input into the product, from my perspective. But you can do what you wish.

So to sum up, yes, not everyone can hear issues even if they are overt because of the nature of audio and the human brain. I've been involved in high-end audio, music production and audio engineering including extensive AB and ABX testing research for almost 40 years. I am very confident in what I can hear and what I can't hear and pushing my objective sensibilities. So yes, I am confident I am hearing things that apparently many others are not. However there are enough of us that can hear the problems that it appears to be real.

Scotty wrote:Plexuss... you can dismisss the effectiveness of the plugin - I have no quibble with that but don't judge the intentions, hearing or integrity of others from your position. That is pure arrogance and can't be justified no matter what your stated experience.
soothe is great in the same way soundsoap or RX De-noise are great. But you wouldn't want to use them on your tracks unless you absolutely have to.

Then according to your definition, I am arrogant. I can live with that. It's a fact that people can not hear as accutely as me as much as it's true that I can't hear things that those with even more accute hearing can hear. analytic hearing is a learned ability and takes consdierable time and practise. time and practise which I have done and continue to do.

If you can't hear the artifacts that sound bad produced by soothe then you lack the ability to hear details in that regard. The fact is they exists and perhaps you need to put more work into your ability to listen analytically. :phones:
Last edited by plexuss on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oaksound Soothe - Testimonials. Well worth a read. Scroll to the bottom of the page and do a mouse over and read what is being said about the product. It is a good product in careful and informed hands.

https://oeksound.com/soothe/

Scotty wrote:Oaksound Soothe - Testimonials. Well worth a read. Scroll to the bottom of the page and do a mouse over and read what is being said about the product. It is a good product in careful and informed hands.

Are you really one of those people who believe that 'testimonials' on a products website are real? :lol:

I don't think a conspiracy is sitting under every piece of tinfoil if that is what you are getting at. Perhaps you don't trust product reviews either. Those are uniformly positive but who knows, they may have been paid off by oaksound with their deep pockets and such. :-)
Reefius wrote:
Scotty wrote:Oaksound Soothe - Testimonials. Well worth a read. Scroll to the bottom of the page and do a mouse over and read what is being said about the product. It is a good product in careful and informed hands.

Are you really one of those people who believe that 'testimonials' on a products website are real? :lol:

Return to “Effects”