Razor-sharp monobass?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3gqsN4NLVg
Might be a no brainer, but i cant seem to obtain this sound.
At 30 sec, that starting bass sound, that can be heard in many tracks. To me it sounds a bit like a saw wave, but very clean and well defined, especially during legato parts, whereas a raw saw wave has much more "high frequencies parasites" i'd say. Somehow my attempts will sound blurry and lack sharpness, using all kind of filtering, layering, comp,adding saturation fx or nothing wont do it :D
I use massive, fm8 and ableton.

Sounds like a simple saw with maybe some processing (eq).

Anyway, thanks for your very nice free Massive sound bank. :tu:

It is a sawtooth, with maybe some filter drive, or some other carefully added 'drive' effect, which is only used to boost the sound rather than distort it, if you know what I mean. EQ definitely helps here as well.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Chris-S wrote:Sounds like a simple saw with maybe some processing (eq).

Anyway, thanks for your very nice free Massive sound bank. :tu:
Thank you very much! Glad you like it. I feel more comfortable creating my own sounds rather than re-creating others', but it's good for learning purposes.

Anyway I found some way to achieve that sound by low passing a saw wave at mid range, get rid of noisy frequencies that interfere, and instead add new ones with different flavours of saturation/ distortion, add eq and comp and serve hot!

you could also try an additive synth in order to have more control over additional harmonics. I usually use Razor for stuff like that, Loom would be another one that comes to mind

paradisebunny wrote:you could also try an additive synth in order to have more control over additional harmonics. I usually use Razor for stuff like that, Loom would be another one that comes to mind
Thanks for your suggestion, i was thinking about using addiCtive synthesis.

Return to “Sound Design”