"the nearest star" - new music by dysamoria

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No matter how far away you think it is, it's actually much farther...

A bit spacey, a bit noisy, a bit soundtrackish.

https://soundcloud.com/dysamoria/the-ne ... -10-5-2017

i recently repaired my Korg M3m's touch screen (digitizer replaced) and was able to start using it again. There's nothing audible in this from the M3m, but trying to work with sounds on my Alesis Fusion, and toying with the M3m's KARMA, inspired this piece. The plinky plucked strings that come in during the bridge are Logic's Scultpure and the result of attempts at recording the MIDI output of the M3's KARMA module (extremely frustrating due to doubled/triplicate notes; any advise is welcome).

Also retroactively-inspired by random word vocalizations during recording to see if i could find any theme or lyrics (not so much), which lead me to the theme of insurmountable distance ("I'd go there if I could, but it's much too far away"), which is a huge issue in my life right now, was an easy leap to a more science/spacey theme. Music is probably more interesting to a wider audience when it's not so painfully personal, so... think of it as a longing to explore the universe, when everything is just too damn far away and nature/physics doesn't allow what we consume in sci-fi.

Open to any comments; i hope you enjoy.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

cool. i liked the arped bass and the whispering, didn't care much for the brassy midrangey sounding pads
they sounded too lo-fi am radio-ish imho
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:cool. i liked the arped bass and the whispering, didn't care much for the brassy midrangey sounding pads
they sounded too lo-fi am radio-ish imho
Thanks for listening :-)

The lo-fi feel is intentional, though I'm aiming more for natural imperfection/brokenness, rather than lo-fi in specific. i like to use a lot of distortion to texturize sounds. i've noticed that SoundCloud is recompressing my older tracks and the distortion sounds different from my intention and it's pissing me off. i just took a listen to this one again on SoundCloud and it sounds correct (as intended) to my ears. If the sound you're referring to is the one that comes in at 3:05, it is actually a heavily processed electric guitar.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

It's a great piece which definitely conveys the idea of scale/distance. I loved the interplay between the rhythmic bass synth and the string arp. The vocals worked well.

Good work :)

Wow this is good stuff! I could totally see this used in a moody and dark sci-fi film (think bladerunner meets se7en). I like the arpeggio and the huge synthetic brass style pads that add a lot of tension later in the track. Also the Lo-fi sound works for this style I think.

Keep up the soundtrack style stuff! It's pretty awesome what you've been coming up with.
:borg:

i could pick nits , but i enjoyed it quite a bit overall ...
your explanation re: 'natural imperfection/brokenness' being your intent swung me back
in your direction ...

there were a few sound choices that were not to my taste ...
i quite liked the bit where the padding ended , and the whispers emerged ...
would have gone for a long tail fade , at the end ...

seems to come across you enjoyed making this ...

Liked it a lot.

Nitpick: I liked the brassy part but thought it jumped in and back out a little too abruptly.

Thanks for everyone's comments :-)

I'm wondering what everyone is thinking is the brassy part. At what time are you reacting to something you're calling "brassy"? Is it the 3:05 mark i referenced above? I find it interesting how unrecognized sounds are interpreted by different people. When i was much younger, i was talking to someone about one of my tracker modules and they said "i like that part" and i said "you mean the piano?" And they said "where's there a piano??" In that case, i hadn't coated it with distortion. It was just a lo-fi sample from the Korg M1's "Bright Piano" (i found out a decade later). But, unrecognized by the listener, they had no idea what to call it.

As for enjoying making it... I'm not sure. This one wasn't so stressful to work on, except for when i was recording the guitar parts (i am really not a player, so i struggle to play a part over and over until it's acceptable enough to keep). I did some experimentation (i don't know if you can recognize the wordless choral-like vox element; it's just a bunch of myself and i did it fairly rapidly). Experimentation is a good thing, especially when it goes quickly.

I really wish I enjoyed the process more than i do. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment after i share new music, though.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Music Cafe”