UVI Falcon, not a great sampler ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I bought UVI Falcon recently, as I was looking for a powerful sampler. But, as I tried it during a few days, I noticed two big issues (for me), that are not found in much cheaper alternative, like Redux or Tal Samper :

- the play marker is very laggy, with long samples (several minutes) or with very short ones. When playing one, the marker is jumping waves peak to wave peaks (in a sample OCS), it is then not clear to see precisely what is playing on what time, I mean, on Redux for example, the play marker is very smooth and follow the playback at every moment. Is there a way to correct this ? Is my Intel i7 quad core 16 Go memory not enough? Other than that, I did not notice any other lag in the software

- Is there a way to keep the zoom in memory when playing with several samples ? I mean, I like to zoom in the start of a sample, but when I leave sample 1 with zoom max, and work with sample 2, then come back to sample 1, the zoom has come back to default... That is very annoying when working with several samples with different levels of zoom needed... Is there a way to correct this, an option or whatever ?

Shit, Falcon is actually a pretty darn good sampler. Not great but given the sampler is just one part of something that does a whole range of other things, it's expected to not be perfect.
The things you mentioned are pretty minor. The first has to do with your pc. the second is a pretty standard complaint in any sampler, even Kontakt.

The main problem I find is the ircam stretch algorithm and how it crashes when you push it. But it does a much better job at transposing vocal than Melodyne which produces more artifacts.
I dont use the slicer because it takes too darn long. Generally when something does a lot of shit, it takes longer to get around it and everything is small.

billzero wrote:Hello,

I bought UVI Falcon recently, as I was looking for a powerful sampler. But, as I tried it during a few days, I noticed two big issues (for me), that are not found in much cheaper alternative, like Redux or Tal Samper :

- the play marker is very laggy, with long samples (several minutes) or with very short ones. When playing one, the marker is jumping waves peak to wave peaks (in a sample OCS), it is then not clear to see precisely what is playing on what time, I mean, on Redux for example, the play marker is very smooth and follow the playback at every moment. Is there a way to correct this ? Is my Intel i7 quad core 16 Go memory not enough? Other than that, I did not notice any other lag in the software

?
I own no falcon, because i can not test it because of no demo. but such a thing can happen when sample buffer size and latency is very large. maybe falcon update the play pointer only every sample block. when you set buffer to 10 ms maybe get better results. I
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

OK, so I bought a VST 300 $ and the playback marker is not functioning right and it's my Mac fault? My Mac, which by the way, is a 2,2 GHz quad-core i7 with 16 Go Ram and SSD, and which is working perfectly with every other plugins, would be the fault here, and nod UVI ? I do not agree with you on point one.

On point two, I do not think it's a minor problem. Even if it is, it's still a problem. I spoke with the developer of Tal sampler, I asked about correcting the slicing overlay which can cause trouble to slice precisely, one week later, it was corrected... And the guy is alone, and the vst cost 70$.

UVI, Falcon is maybe the main VSTi for them, it is in 1.4, and at that price it does not even include small details like this ? I am indeed, disappointed by UVI Falcon, where MachFive 3 still does some sampling things better.

billzero wrote:I bought UVI Falcon recently, as I was looking for a powerful sampler.
I don't think it's promoted as a dedicated sampler.

However, just dropped a 2.5GB file (live recording) on a sampler "osc" in Falcon and the play marker went smooth on full resolution (zoomed out, so to speak) and just a tiny bit more steppy on fine resolution (zoomed in). But still it's accurate and does not only "catch" the peaks. :shrug:

So what is the pb? Cpu? Ram ? Ssd?

I thought it was MachFive essentially but just with added/enhanced features, not stuff taken out (except for some file formats)

billzero wrote:So what is the pb? Cpu? Ram ? Ssd?
Win10, i7-4790K, 32GB, Samsung 960Pro 1TB (M.2), GTX 1080.

Now it's your turn:

Weight, shoe size, eye-color, length of hair (if any)?

2.2 LOL

f**king apple, I bet you paid a fortune for this fossil, too

about falcon though, am I nuts or are there no modmaps in this thing?

billzero wrote:OK, so I bought a VST 300 $ and the playback marker is not functioning right and it's my Mac fault? My Mac, which by the way, is a 2,2 GHz quad-core i7 with 16 Go Ram and SSD, and which is working perfectly with every other plugins, would be the fault here, and nod UVI ? I do not agree with you on point one..
It doesn't happen on mine or probably anyone else's here which means it's probably your system.

I was going to ask what you meant about playback marker? It works fine here.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

acYm wrote:about falcon though, am I nuts or are there no modmaps in this thing?
They do exist.

Regarding the playhead, yes, it's not 100% smooth, probably to save CPU.

Try toggling the OpenGL rendering setting

Happens regardless of that setting over here, that's not it. I'm pretty sure it's a CPU saving measure not to have a turbo-smooth playhead.

If it doesn't impact on the sound it's not a biggie

Return to “Instruments”