Retaining Stereo Image w/ Vibrato in Ubermod

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently I've been experimenting with the Ubermod demo and I've discovered that it's absolutely wonderful for achieving that VHS "melting" effect that you get with old tapes (just bring down the highs, turn up the drive, and add some vibrato and you've got some great character). However, I've noticed that the vibrato settings seem to modulate the delay taps in such a way that it changes the stereo image, which isn't always what I'm looking to achieve.

I suppose this is to be expected considering Ubermod is a chorusy/flangery modulation plugin, but is there any way to avoid this behavior? I'm super close to buying it, and a solution to this problem would push me over the edge in an instant :love:

Thanks in advance
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true

I suggested this some time ago too for the exact same reasons! Sean said he'll maybe look into it :)
Maybe even a new mode combined with some more random modulations (instead of sine LFOs) would be possible :)

People ask for broken tape/VHS/whatever plugins all the time, yet there are not many out there! Other things like comps and EQs are all over the place in various forms :hihi:

A variation of the 2Tap mode, which uses the same LFOs for the left and right side would already be really nice to get such an effect!

Cheers
Dennis
Last edited by Bronto Scorpio on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maybe an option or options to randomize the modulation values would be helpful. In any case, I also like to impart the low fidelity vhs sound to sundries so any movement toward that end would be appreciated.

A MonoMod mode seems like a good idea. Ideally, I could figure out a good semi-random modulation, for "distressed tape" sounds. I keep trying to track down a good Space Echo to capture the modulation, but I could probably get by with a $10 VCR from Goodwill.

Sean Costello

Just found a great video that isolates the wow & flutter of a worn Space Echo tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQNwn_cfcqs

This is a bit extreme, but still cool.

I NEED A SPACE ECHO.

Sean Costello

Thanks for the reply, Sean

Without sounding too needy, how long do you think it would take to implement a MonoMod mode (with or without special modulation) :oops:? By all means, if you're actually planning to implement it anytime soon I'll pick up Ubermod ASAP (trying to control my GAS, but that'd be too much for me to resist :lol:)
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true

colinssx wrote:Thanks for the reply, Sean

Without sounding too needy, how long do you think it would take to implement a MonoMod mode (with or without special modulation) :oops:? By all means, if you're actually planning to implement it anytime soon I'll pick up Ubermod ASAP (trying to control my GAS, but that'd be too much for me to resist :lol:)
It's gonna take a while. I'm updating all of the plugins for AAX. I'm hoping to include new modes for the plugins when possible, but we'll see how the ports go.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:Just found a great video that isolates the wow & flutter of a worn Space Echo tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQNwn_cfcqs

This is a bit extreme, but still cool.

I NEED A SPACE ECHO.

Sean Costello
That is cool. I guess I'm going to the thrift store this week to pick a vcr and some old tapes. Maybe get a casette player too.

valhallasound wrote:
colinssx wrote:Thanks for the reply, Sean

It's gonna take a while. I'm updating all of the plugins for AAX. I'm hoping to include new modes for the plugins when possible, but we'll see how the ports go.

Sean Costello
Hi Sean
Any update on this? :D
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

He said it would take a while - he was right! :D
Maybe he forgot with all the AAX updating...

Several years back, I decided that tape delays needed more than just a particular modulation type. So, this won't be added to ÜberMod, but will be featured in a future plugin.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”